Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:00 PM

151 posts, read 693,356 times

Advertisements

I always thought the cost of living is lower than NY, but I have read many posts and have been told the cost of living is the same. Please elaborate. From my calculations the housing cost is lower and so are taxes. Am I mistaken? Anyone from NYfeel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 10:22 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
Costs are lower in NC, and so are salaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
I always thought the cost of living is lower than NY, but I have read many posts and have been told the cost of living is the same. Please elaborate. From my calculations the housing cost is lower and so are taxes. Am I mistaken? Anyone from NYfeel this way?

Last edited by Check123; 03-24-2007 at 10:49 PM..

Old 03-25-2007, 09:32 AM

138 posts, read 412,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Costs are lower in NC, and so are salaries.
True- it will all depend on what salary you can garner down here. Cost of living is a relative term.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:57 PM

543 posts, read 1,824,520 times
I've found that everyting costs us the about the same here with the exception of housing costs and RE taxes.

Our average costs for the last three months(Jan, Feb, Mar): Family of 4, 2800 sq ft house, per month:

Electric(H/W, cooking and laundry, lights, etc) $172
Gas(heat only) $170
Water/Sewer $49
DirectTV $100
Cable Internet $45
Auto insurance (2 cars) $80
Telephone: $61
HOA $40
Homeowners Insurance: $45
Groceries: $900

Gas will go down to about nothing soon since it's getting warmer but electric will climb once we start using the a/c again. Water will go up to $70ish once we start watering the lawn again.

Not all salaries are create equal. Look on sites like salary.com in the free reports section for rough estimates. Some are drastic reductions while others are barely affected.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 PM

235 posts, read 729,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
I've found that everyting costs us the about the same here with the exception of housing costs and RE taxes.

Our average costs for the last three months(Jan, Feb, Mar): Family of 4, 2800 sq ft house, per month:

Electric(H/W, cooking and laundry, lights, etc) $172
Gas(heat only) $170
Water/Sewer $49
DirectTV $100
Cable Internet $45
Auto insurance (2 cars) $80
Telephone: $61
HOA $40
Homeowners Insurance: $45
Groceries: $900

Gas will go down to about nothing soon since it's getting warmer but electric will climb once we start using the a/c again. Water will go up to $70ish once we start watering the lawn again.

Not all salaries are create equal. Look on sites like salary.com in the free reports section for rough estimates. Some are drastic reductions while others are barely affected.

It is funny that you posted this because I did my little calculations from here in Brooklyn and I too found that it would not be cheaper by much if at all. The only difference is that we will own instead of renting so that same 1100 will go towards a mortgage and us owning something and not into my slum lords pocket. Also I am assuming my car insurance will not be 1200 dollars a year. However from everything else I read it seems the electric and gas will make up the difference. I guess the reason for moving will be the quality of life and a better HS then we could ever hope for in NY.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 PM

151 posts, read 693,356 times
thanks so much for the clarification. Judging by the calculations provided we still will be better of in NC than Brooklyn. By the way my jaw dropped at the insurance cost for 2 cars. thats so much less than Brooklyn.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
renee where in bklyn u coming from??? We are born and raised in brooklyn Im from graves End/Sheepshead Bay and dh is From Ditmas and Ocean parkway..then lived in staten island and well Now jersey and on our way to Union County NC and cant wait....good luck to you

Old 03-26-2007, 06:43 AM

235 posts, read 729,898 times
MarkH are those monthly dollar amounts or is that an average for the 3 months? The 900 dollars for food was for the 3 months total..Just curious as I have heard people say their gas bills where 170 per month..Just curious.

Talia

Old 03-26-2007, 07:00 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,345 times
Try this link

http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...coll_start.asp

Old 03-26-2007, 10:58 AM

189 posts, read 580,107 times
My salary will be very similar with more upside in NC versus CT. My housing costs will be 50% lower for a bigger home and my taxes will be 60-70% lower on this home.

I currently have a gas/electric mix on my home in CT and have the same setup in Charlotte. I expect my gas prices to drop dramatically as CT is much colder than Charlotte, but do expect to pay more on a/c in the summer months in Charlotte.

I think the two biggest factors are current housing (if you own a newer home in Fairlfield County, CT, NY, or NJ) then I would expect significant savings on the home and property taxes. Otherwise most other things should be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte