U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,725,602 times

Advertisements

I almost forgot...for a Charlotte place to eat: The Roasting Company at Park and Woodlawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbeth View Post
please share the address with us on the new location of mac's....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl View Post
white starched outfits? Lol!!

Charlotte isn't in western nc so you'll probably get more suggestions about that area in the western nc sub forum.. We are a few hours away from the mountains. While there are area trails (http://www.charmeck.org/departments/park+and+rec/activities/outdoors/hiking.htm - broken link), the closest elevated hiking is at crowders mountain state park (http://www.crowdersmountain.com/v1/general.asp - broken link) in kings mountain, nc.

Bbq is very popular here! Here are some threads about local and regional favorites.

good bbq??
best bbq joint
barbecue?

here are some websites:
yorkmont cafe they have a great breakfast special - $3.65: 2 eggs with bacon or sausage or livermush, toast or biscuits, grits or hash browns.
price's chicken coop
the chicken box cafe
mert's heart and soul
bar-b-q-king
mac's speed shop - three locations - two in charlotte 1)south blvd 2) sandy porter rd. And one in cornelius, nc.

another great place is tony's ice cream in gastonia. They have fantastic home made ice cream and a hot grill menu.

Fish camps are popular in gaston county. Here are a few
riverside fish house - 1341 dallas stanley hwy dallas, nc 28034
graham's fish fry - 4539 south new hope road gastonia, nc 28054
twin tops fish camp - 4574 s new hope rd gastonia, nc 28056

if you're up for fast food check out the nc based cook out chain. There are several in charlotte and surrounding towns. They have hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, wraps, chicken nuggets chicken sandwiches and bbq. They also have a "creamery" with 36 different types of milkshakes.
It's right off S. Tryon, just South of I-485. Turn right on Sandy Porter, it's beside the KFC.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

716 posts, read 1,906,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I almost forgot...for a Charlotte place to eat: The Roasting Company at Park and Woodlawn.
Ooh, seconded!

I also vote for Lupie's!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM

4,190 posts, read 11,958,096 times
thanks for the great replies....appreciate it....

apologies to those who said Charlotte is not in west NC when I thought it was.....if that's an insult to suggest Charlotte is in the mountains of west NC ---- well, uh, you know what I mean!!......

yes, I'm sorta looking for "Mel's Diner in the ghetto", as one poster said....just want a place that locals, not tourists, go to....real, honest, local food....a place that's been around forever and hasn't changed too much....

in the late 1980s, we went to a cafeteria in Asheville that was great....though sorta new-ish, it had a great variety of all types of locals there, was not expensive, and just felt right....I think it was in the east part of town across from the motel we stayed at in sort of a newly developed area (1980s), ***I think***...nothing fancy.....does anybody know the place??....

yes, I will post in the west NC forum....didn't see it at first, as we're coming and going via Charlotte, so I went to this forum first.....

we'll also be in the border areas of the neighboring states, so any ideas for over there would be appreciated, too.....

thanks again........

Old 03-21-2009, 07:28 AM

343 posts, read 573,886 times
Trying to figure out what resturant you were at in Asheville. What motel was it? .....and descibe the resturant.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 AM

4,190 posts, read 11,958,096 times
it was a cafeteria in Asheville - sorta new feeling at the time (mid-late 80s)....I think it was just south of the motel we were staying at (across a street)....I may be wrong, but I think it was in the east part of town, maybe a bit north of east.....on a little bit of a rise or hill, slightly....cafeteria was a little lower in elevation than the motel, but only a few feet and only just across a street.....fairly sure the cafeteria was south of the motel.....sort of a newly developed area at the time.....

we liked the cafeteria because the food was cheap, good, and the place was full of a great variety of mostly locals....young, old, business, family, etc.....

long shot, I know, but somebody may know....

will put this on the west NC forum, too.....thanks

Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 AM

403 posts, read 763,953 times
Default Cafeteria near Asheville

Several years ago my husband and I were stranded because of car trouble in Columbus, NC. Since our problem could not be corrected right away, a very kind woman drove us close to Asheville so that we could rent a car....this was near the airport. Across the street was a cafeteria and a motel. She told us that it was a very popular cafeteria, as everyone loved the food. We went over there and had a very good meal, after getting a car....and of course the kind woman was over there also...having a meal. The reason I am telling you this is because maybe this is the one you are talking, and of course I can't remember the name. Perhaps, someone out there in computer land may know the name, because of the possible location near the airport. Hopefully, it is the one you have been talking about. Let's cross our fingers!! Good Luck!!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,486 times
J & S Cafeteria???

Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 AM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,714,565 times
I am always amazed that people on the Charlotte Forum NEVER mention or suggest Gary's BBQ in China Grove.

25-30 minutes north of Charlotte for excellent que, plus they have fountain Cheerwine. Now it is kinda a high class bbq joint, shirt and shoes are required.

lln

Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 AM

403 posts, read 763,953 times
Default Gary's BBQ in China Grove

Dugh!!! Shirt and Shoes......Ohhhh Nooooo!! LOL
I've never heard of Garys, but I would sure like to try it. Love Cheerwine....too!! Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte