Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times

Advertisements

Ooh that got me thinking! I don't know if they are locally owned or not but Portofino's is really good. There are three locations in Charlotte and one in Gastonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 14,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Ooh that got me thinking! I don't know if they are locally owned or not but Portofino's is really good. There are three locations in Charlotte and one in Gastonia.
they are local.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
I think the OP and friends are looking for restaurants w/ quirky local, down to earth menus and decor, not upscale.

I have to second Woodland's in Blowing Rock if you are up that way.

And if you come down 321 towards Charlotte, stop off in Hickory at Windy City Grill, better known to locals as "Homer's."

windy city grill hickory nc - Google Maps

Old 03-19-2009, 12:09 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,008 times
The Fiddlin' Pig in Asheville serves good BBQ and live Bluegrass music in the evenings.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
Mac's is just a really different place that you might like....very busy...use to be an ole drive in restaurant.....you can even sit outside if the weather is good. I stated that there wasn't any "Hun" spoken there....but you requested it as a positive...and I misunderstood that....like I said it is different where bikers to businessmen...to traveling visitors....go there to really enjoy some very good Bar-B-Que......
Macs actually has a new location on South Tryon that is now open for dinner as of this week - we'll be checking it out this weekend.

Being from Baltimore, I'm actually missing all of the waitresses calling everybody "hon".

Also, I'm surprised that only one other poster has mentioned The Penguin - seems like that would be right up the OP's alley

Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 PM

403 posts, read 877,810 times
Default Mac's other location...and other info...

Please share the address with us on the new location of Mac's....and any other info that you may know.
There is also another Bar-B-Que place at Woodlawn and Old Pineville Road called McCoys...their Q is pretty good, as well as their green beans. I don't know what they do to those things...but they are just great. Also, right behind McCoys is the Tryon House....they serve everything under the sun (Fresh is the key word there), and their service is over the top.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
Please share the address with us on the new location of Mac's....and any other info that you may know.
I don't know the exact street address. But its on South Tryon right by Ayrsley - near the Food Lion. They just opened their doors this week.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
That is what I read. It is better to be called "hun" than the often "you guys", when your wife isn't a guy. The "hun" thing is an endearing hospitality custom that I personally like.
"You guys" is a midwestern thing. I'm from MI and I would call a group "you guys", even if there were females included in the group. It's our version of "y'all". I'm certain there was no harm intended.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
"You guys" is a midwestern thing. I'm from MI and I would call a group "you guys", even if there were females included in the group. It's our version of "y'all". I'm certain there was no harm intended.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
I love the Harrisburg Family Restaurant in Harrisburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte