U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Status: "Charlotte Checkers Calder Cup Champions!" (set 5 days ago)

7,194 posts, read 8,206,798 times

Advertisements

The Copperhead is the most common venemous snake foudn around here. They can lurk around anywhere, but more likely for the Charlotte area, in a forest, near a pond, under a large wood pile, etc is where they usually are found. Snakes will like cool wet areas when it's hot outside.

The snake that has the line "Red touch yellow, bite a fellow", Coral snake I believe, is one I've never seen around here, but they do exist here. Probably same as copperheads, found mostly in wooden areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM

873 posts, read 1,538,761 times
Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
#9 copperhead

Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 PM

Wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
I think #3 is a water moccasin.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM

The Copperhead is the only venomous snake you'll run into in Mecklenburg county unless somebody brings another species in. The Wolf Spider is native and very common but mostly nocturnal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
What venemous snakes are indigenous to the Mecklenburg area???
Where are we likely to run into them?

I just looked up the Wolf Spider a previous poster mentioned and it gave me the creeps.
Where are we likely to run into those little critters, too???

Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
The Copperhead is the only venomous snake you'll run into in Mecklenburg county...
Not really. There is a very small, and highly protected population of timber rattler's in the county. Period.

The chances of any of you finding and or interacting with them are zero. I post this just to be technically correct. Not an issue for any of you.

The copperhead is VERY COMMON in Mecklenburg. Not to the point of infestation, but for most of us, if we are ever going to have an interaction with a venomous snake, it will be in Mecklenburg County and it will be a copperhead.

They do WELL IN THE BURBS and especially well in both flower and veggie gardens (eating things that mess up your garden, by the way.) Just be careful where you put your hands and feet.

lln

Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 PM

129 posts, read 361,470 times
I think I seen a Lizard the other day

Old 03-20-2009, 02:43 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
The Copperhead is the most common venemous snake foudn around here. They can lurk around anywhere, but more likely for the Charlotte area, in a forest, near a pond, under a large wood pile, etc is where they usually are found. Snakes will like cool wet areas when it's hot outside.

The snake that has the line "Red touch yellow, bite a fellow", Coral snake I believe, is one I've never seen around here, but they do exist here. Probably same as copperheads, found mostly in wooden areas.
Right in both cases. The copperhead also loves leaves but will move when they hear one rustling around

Coral snakes are not often seen. Ido recall years ago while in a rowboat, one crawling out from under something. It was just me and it. I killed it with the oar. I don't usually kill snakes, but I did in this case. The coral is as poisonous as a cobra. They are in the same family.

I told people in my housing area that if they see a snake in their garage or yard that they want removed to call me before they kill it. I will move it for them.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:48 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,200 times
If you don't think that moccasins exist in Mecklenburg County, you're wrong. I remember a kid being bitten over 20 times by a nest of them off of Wilkerson Blvd. in the creek that ran by Suttle's Swimming Pool. The kid died. That was a long time ago, but I remember it well. Of course they may be gone now, but I would imagine there are some still out there.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,960,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizoid2k View Post
I never saw a copperhead mowing the lawn before... that must of been cool ! I wonder how it started the engine?

lol...you beat me to it (by a month, i guess...)

Old 04-17-2009, 04:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,993,147 times
Coral snakes in MECK? Heck, no. Now people, that ain't right.

Coral snakes need a sandy environment and are only in the sandhills in the eastern part of this state. Cornal snakes are so rare here that they are an endangered species.

However, there IS a scarlett kingsnake here and people mistake it for a coral snake.

More info about coral snakes and snakes that look similar to coral snakes

Eastern Coral Snake - North Carolina

However, that is the truth about coral snakes being in the same family as cobras and mambas. My dad saw coral snakes when he was a kid living in Miami . . . and so he made sure we understood how dangerous they are. But you are NOT going to run into one here. On the coast, I guess it is possible but they are nearly extinct in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte