U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,152,660 times

Advertisements

anyone know where/if you can get authentic fish and chips in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 PM

8,805 posts, read 7,970,103 times
Define "authentic". I've had tasty fish and chips in Michigan and I've had crappy fish and chips in the Holborn area of downtown London. Authentic, but not very tasty.

I would suggest you try Ri Ra's, Sir Edmund Halley's or the Red Lion.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 PM

655 posts, read 2,099,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Define "authentic". I've had tasty fish and chips in Michigan and I've had crappy fish and chips in the Holborn area of downtown London. Authentic, but not very tasty.

Yeah, Red Lion and Ri Ra's are good ones. Also, try Big Ben's on Providence, Galway Hooker in Cornelius, and O'Shea's on Ardrey Kell. There's a place called New England Seafood on Nation's Ford right off exit 4 on I77, if you want to eat on the cheap.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,882,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post

Guess it all depends on authentic to where.

Fox and hounds sells cod & chips (more like fish fingers)

Ri-Ra's cod and chips quite good

Sir Edmund Halley's cod was disapointing.

Big Ben Haddock & chips excellent

Six Pence Pub Baxter Village usally get 3 nice chuncks of cod Chips are sliced fired potatoes as oppsed to chips.

Towne Tavern Fort Mill 1lb of haddock for $10 more like a breadcrumb than battered.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 AM

543 posts, read 1,636,171 times
My son and I went to The Tavern at JR Crickets in Huntersville last night. They had a big selection of fish and chip type plates although they were out of a bunch of stuff from the prior nights grand opening.

He order fried tilipia and fries and he liked it enough to eat it but I was amazed that on our bill there was a charge for 59 cents for the tartar sauce that he requested.

It's not the 59 cents that bothers me, it's the thought behind it. Come on, it's fish and chips and from what I expect, tartar sauce!

It's just the type of stupid charge that is such a turn off that it'll probalby keep me from going back. I don't think that the manager who casually strolled by and asked me how everything was expected for me to actually tell him.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 AM

852 posts, read 2,218,266 times
I don't worry about the tartar sauce, I just want to make sure that there is malt vinegar to go with them.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,478,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

I've had it at the Red Lion and it's quite good (and usually a very sizeable piece of fish as well). Ri-Ra's is decent as well - although depending on when you go table service can be a bit of a wait.

If you ever find yourself in the state of Ohio, for some reason there are still a slew of Arthur Treacher's places up there.....

Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,053,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Big Ben Haddock & chips excellent
Sounds like a good place for lunch tomorrow!
thx

Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,727,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
If you talking about the authentic deep fried fish cooked in the same grease as sausages and chicken with newspaper print from the papers from which it has been wrapped as they often do in the U.K., no.

If you want some great fish and chips like you rarely in the U.K., cooked in separate grease but with nice thick filets and not so greasy, try the Galway Hooker if in the Lake Norman area. If you want fish that is similar to that you find in the U.K. you can sometimes find it in Captain D's, Authur threchers or such places.

I spent many years eating authentic fish and chips. Now, I never eat it when I am in the U.K. unless in a good restaurant. I believe the purpose of the old fish and chip shops were to give the drunks some place to eat after leaving the pubs. I know, I was one for a long time. I will admit that the food in the U.K. has improved astronomically over the past decade. Often, a different grease cooker is used for fish. I used to really enjoy fish and chip food before I became a bit health conscious and more of a epicure. Anyway, there are places and forgive my ranting. Too much coffee this morn, but the scone was excellent. Oh yea, Galway Hooker has malt vinegar that I use with my fish and chips.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:31 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,727,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I've had it at the Red Lion and it's quite good (and usually a very sizeable piece of fish as well). Ri-Ra's is decent as well - although depending on when you go table service can be a bit of a wait.

If you ever find yourself in the state of Ohio, for some reason there are still a slew of Arthur Treacher's places up there.....
There is a Arthur Treacher's at the Carolina Mall in Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte