U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 AM

129 posts, read 362,202 times

Advertisements

I am just curious on how high do you think Charlotte's Unemployment rate will go? Do you think it will stay around 10.5% or do you think it will go much higher or do you think things will only get better from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:38 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,674,566 times
I think Charlotte's "official" unemployment rate will climb at least to 12-13%, maybe higher.

Most surrounding counties are at that level or higher right now.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,053,790 times
No one has a crystal ball, but if thousands of bankers and lawyers are laid off, where exactly are they going to work?

Old 03-21-2009, 05:24 PM

129 posts, read 362,202 times
I know this sounds extremely crazy but my prediction for the 2011/2012 time frame is that we see unemployment figures in the 25-30% range.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
It will exceed 12 % but the thing is . . . the actual numbers are not being reported. Consultants and contract workers are not counted in the figure as the gov't only includes actual employees who have been laid off. Wachovia and BofA have already laid off hundreds of contract workers. It may be accurate to say - they have laid of several thousand workers.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 9 days ago)

5,607 posts, read 6,696,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It will exceed 12 % but the thing is . . . the actual numbers are not being reported. Consultants and contract workers are not counted in the figure as the gov't only includes actual employees who have been laid off. Wachovia and BofA have already laid off hundreds of contract workers. It may be accurate to say - they have laid of several thousand workers.
ani - One of the things rarely mentioned in unemployment figures is just how many people have given up looking for jobs, at least for the time being and also how many people are working part-time when they were previously working full-time. These situations make the official unemployment figure artificially low. I just read that the unemployment rate is 23.6% in Chester County. Yikes!!!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - One of the things rarely mentioned in unemployment figures is just how many people have given up looking for jobs, at least for the time being and also how many people are working part-time when they were previously working full-time. These situations make the official unemployment figure artificially low. I:
In addition, people who have went out of business recently are not counted as "unemployed" because they can't collect...

That's why I'm amazed every time I hear idiotic comments from people who say "well at least 90% of Charlotteans are employed"......

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,736,789 times
Figure it out yourself...how accurate can this data be and how long would it take for the gub, to fill the pipline of information? What everyTHEY say has to be yesterday's news.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,544,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - One of the things rarely mentioned in unemployment figures is just how many people have given up looking for jobs, at least for the time being and also how many people are working part-time when they were previously working full-time. These situations make the official unemployment figure artificially low. I just read that the unemployment rate is 23.6% in Chester County. Yikes!!!!!
Well the BLS does report this nationally. The unemployment rate nationally is 14.8%.

table-a12-2009-02.png (image)

Source BLS monthly report:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

It's not that the government doesn't report it, it's that the MSM does not advertise it or write about it.

We need to dig deeper than what the MSM tells us.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
We need to dig deeper than what the MSM tells us.

You hit the nail on the head. And that could go for any subject besides the unemployment figures.

People tend to get lazy, or just believe anything they read w/o actually "digging" into things a little deeper.

Thanks for posting what I was thinking also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or