U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:49 PM

56 posts, read 148,830 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
My husband and I are looking to relocate to Charlotte this summer. We are a young couple looking for a change. We are both college graduates and are interested in changing our lines of work. However we are not sure how the market is in Charlotte? What companies are thriving in the area what industries are doing well? Where would be the best bet to apply and who would be willing if any to offer a relocation package to either of us?
I am hoping that some of you may offer some insight for us. We are coming from Philadelphia and would like to make the move this summer when our lease is up on our apartment. Thnx for your HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 PM

82 posts, read 296,330 times
Good news & bad news...

The good news is that there is TONS of opportunity here! The job market is good & it should be easy for educated folks like you to find jobs.

The bad news is that the job market here is pretty much dictated by the big banks (Wachovia & B of A), so it's somewhat monolithic.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:06 PM

56 posts, read 148,830 times
banks would be ok actually what we would be looking for. I am in the mortgage bussiness myself and my husband is in finance. any suggestions to where to go from there..

Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,266,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymay View Post
banks would be ok actually what we would be looking for. I am in the mortgage bussiness myself and my husband is in finance. any suggestions to where to go from there..
Just watch the banks. BoA in Charlotte went through two recent downsizings (one major and one not so major) and Wachovia's already been downsizing and they're gearing up for a 20% reduction by 2007-'08. The Indian company that Wachovia's using for the outsourcing is supposed to be sitting with people in both Winston Salem and Charlotte to see what it is they can take.

Just a FYI on the banks.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:52 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,102,811 times
I can say with almost 100% that this is happening at both banks. I believe the company in India is called Gen Pack.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,266,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I can say with almost 100% that this is happening at both banks. I believe the company in India is called Gen Pack.

It's Genpact and it's 100% certain that it's happening with Wachovia. They're going to be paying those folks in India about $6,000 a year without health insurance. They've already taken jobs from the OC's off of WT Harris and they're gearing for a much bigger round.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173350387461&path=!business&s =1037645507703 (broken link)

As per a recent meeting the quote went, "We're going to outsource jobs you'd never think we could outsource".

I honestly have no idea if BoA has anything in store (they're job pickings got pretty slim after the first huge round of layoffs) but Wachovia's plans are pretty clear. It'd be a great place "for now" but if you take anything with them with long term plans, you might find yourself with a sleepless night or two.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 PM

82 posts, read 296,330 times
I'm an I.T. guy and without a doubt I got out of the rat-race partially because of this. It's bad news. You've got the CEOs making obscene amounts of money and then they're "cutting costs" by shipping jobs overseas.

Bank of America is more brazen about it, but BOTH banks do it.

I can say I bank with neither of those.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:51 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,611,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post

They are talking about it a Duke Energy too.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 25,702 times
Default BOA experience

Hi-

I am a Real Estate broker in Charlotte that just left a job with Bank of America. I was with BOA for 2 years in Business banking, so I serviced and sold loans and all that. They are always trying to outsource things at any bank or big company, but if you go into a sales driven department(like mortgage brokers) from my experience those are usually the last jobs that get shipped out. I never had my job threatened there, but it does happen. There are alot of jobs here aside from the banks. The banks bring lots of people to Charlotte and dealing with mortgages you know that is a good thing. I work with lots of mortgage firms that keep very busy. As far as relocation packages, the banks are pretty cheap about those.

PM me if I can help!
Goodluck.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:29 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,737,320 times
wachovia has the best relo packages out of the banks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or