U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:28 PM

105 posts, read 219,064 times

Advertisements

Greetings to the locals, you are a WEALTH of appreciated information!
I am following my sister south, but not quite as far as she has gone. My sister & family have been relocated to Gaffney, SC for work; I am seeking information on areas w/in commuting distance to the city of Charlotte (1 hour, or less) & comfortable driving distance to Gaffney (1.5 - 2 hrs) that is also small town country where one can find a home w/ .5 acre or more for myself, dog & two birds. No "postage stamp" lots for me - even if it's in the most desirable neighborhood. I'm not seeking the dream home in the best suburb w/ the best schools, as my "baby" will graduate this year.
I just want a modest abode in a quiet spot that still allows for easy access to the music/arts/food scene of the city.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 PM

876 posts, read 3,479,756 times
alot depends on what you are looking to spend and how big of a home you want (square footage).

Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,684,640 times
Fort Mill or Lancaster, SC or Waxhaw, NC. If you need help with websites to look at available property send me a pm.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM

82 posts, read 296,372 times
You might consider Gaston or Lincoln county -- it's south of CLT on I-85, and therefore "on the way" to Gaffney.

Lower taxes & easy access to the city.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,429,220 times
Some cities to look into the GAston county area , Gastonia, Lowell (close to christmas town) Mcadenville (christmas town). Kings Mountain. They are within 20 25 minutes of center city Charlotte. and about a hour to Gaffney and those cities may have lot size you desire.

Im on the north end of Charlotte and I can make it to Gaffney in a hour and half when I go shopping at the Bombay Outlet store in Gaffney.

On your trip to see your sister wait to fill up gas til you cross the state line. Gas is cheaper due to less of a gas tax in South Carolina

Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,221,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt_gator View Post
You might consider Gaston or Lincoln county -- it's south of CLT on I-85, and therefore "on the way" to Gaffney.

Lower taxes & easy access to the city.
In particular, look at Belmont in Gaston County - an easy trip to Gaffney from there for sure

Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 AM

876 posts, read 3,479,756 times
Gaffney + Pottery Barn Outlet = Happy Wife

Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM

LOL!
Hey Supercharged,
You should bring your wife up to New England (esp. Maine), the outlet shopping here is wonderful & you would probably enjoy a trip to the famous LL Bean store in Freeport!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Great info!

Thank you all for your suggestions, I do appreciate it & plan to follow your leads! I just want a home in a quiet, wooded, area. One big enough for my children & grandson to visit, but not so big that they want to move back home!
I can't wait for this new adventure of mine! With the kindness & helpfulness that you have shown, I want even more to get moving!

BTW -
I thought the outlet mall (right under the "Peachoid" )in Gaffney was rather charming, when I visited my sister last Nov - but for you folks that enjoy outlet shopping, you need to visit New England! Freeport (home to LL Bean) & Kittery, Maine are the spots to shop!

Old 03-27-2007, 12:48 AM

473 posts, read 1,451,129 times
Red face I-85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulani View Post
Greetings to the locals, you are a WEALTH of appreciated information!
I am following my sister south, but not quite as far as she has gone. My sister & family have been relocated to Gaffney, SC for work; I am seeking information on areas w/in commuting distance to the city of Charlotte (1 hour, or less) & comfortable driving distance to Gaffney (1.5 - 2 hrs) that is also small town country where one can find a home w/ .5 acre or more for myself, dog & two birds. No "postage stamp" lots for me - even if it's in the most desirable neighborhood. I'm not seeking the dream home in the best suburb w/ the best schools, as my "baby" will graduate this year.
I just want a modest abode in a quiet spot that still allows for easy access to the music/arts/food scene of the city.
Any suggestions?
My MIL, SIL, H's Aunt and Uncle live in Gaffney and they all love it, especially the taxes, seems like it Cherokee County? They're trying to get the H's grandparents to live there, too. They are all from the Syracuse and Albany/Saratoga, NY area.

We live in Huntersville, about an hour's drive from them. I would not recommend Huntersville for you but why don't you look anywhere on I-85 from the SC line to Gaffney? My husband commuted from Gaffney to I-77 (Tyvola) while waiting for our house, and it was about an hour for him, give or take. Seems to be a rather quiet area, too, most of it with land, and as I'm told, cheap taxes! Seems like I've heard to stay clear of Shelby...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte