Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
good luck. Baseball is not very popular here.
Where do you live? Baseball is very popular. Indian Trail, Unionville, Piedmont, Matthews, Steele Creek, Hemby Bridge, I can keep on. All these athletic associations that thrive on competitive baseball. Providence HS, Butler, Independence HS... awesome programs. If you want to see how popular it is, go to a middle school baseball game and see how crazy people are over baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
TO THE OP: I apologize. In my many years here, I only saw one batting cage and it was near to the intersection of 74 and old Hwy 51 and it closed due to lack of business.

TO THE OTHERS: I considered answering you individually, but, then decided it was not worth it. Remember, having practically grown up at Wrigley Field, I am a bona fide baseball snob. I do not consider any baseball, other than a major league game, played in a major league park to be REAL baseball. Everything else is child's play. However, having said that, I stand behind my statement. On our local newscasts and in our local newspaper, you will almost never find any form of real baseball news. (not even for the World Series) When you write to complain, the answer that is given is, "baseball is not popular enough here to warrant reporting this news". That is despite my pointing out the obvious that there appear to be many baseball fan transplants. So, that is where the statement comes from....

Old 03-23-2009, 05:51 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
TO THE OP: I apologize. In my many years here, I only saw one batting cage and it was near to the intersection of 74 and old Hwy 51 and it closed due to lack of business.

TO THE OTHERS: I considered answering you individually, but, then decided it was not worth it. Remember, having practically grown up at Wrigley Field, I am a bona fide baseball snob. I do not consider any baseball, other than a major league game, played in a major league park to be REAL baseball. Everything else is child's play. However, having said that, I stand behind my statement. On our local newscasts and in our local newspaper, you will almost never find any form of real baseball news. (not even for the World Series) When you write to complain, the answer that is given is, "baseball is not popular enough here to warrant reporting this news". That is despite my pointing out the obvious that there appear to be many baseball fan transplants. So, that is where the statement comes from....
I'm a baseball "snob" myself having grown up practically 15 miles from the house that Ruth built and despised the most well known franchise in the world (New York Yankees).

I don't agree that everything else is "child's play". That really isn't a fair comment to 80% of the population in the U.S. Not every baseball player comes from large cities w/a long history of MLB (ie NY, Boston, Chicago). I would even argue that most do not because 1. Climate....don't have the weather to allow kids to play year round. A majority of major leagers I would argue come from the South, CA, Dominican Republic or basically mostly "warm" climates...

Again, I see it w/my own eyes and I've experienced playing HS/College sports (played baseball in College right outside NYC), and I also have kids in the sports systems down here, so I do happen to know what I'm talking about on this issue since I've experienced it.

Baseball (UP TO COLLEGE) is huge down here. The feeder programs and how serious the people take it is extremely strong here. Not saying that it wasn't in NJ, however all I can say that you start very early here and the competition is fierce. You better keep up or you'll fall behind quick.

If you want to talk about the observer or how the media covers professional baseball here, well that is another issue we can discuss. I happen to agree w/you on that, but again, its not right and not fair to broad brush the sport for the reasons I gave.

Not trying to start an argument here, but I do respect your opinion and hope you think about it again and reconsider some.....

Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

This is all well and good, but the OP asked about baseball FOR AN 8 YEAR OLD You were/are off topic I'm afraid.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:23 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
TO THE OTHERS: I considered answering you individually, but, then decided it was not worth it. Remember, having practically grown up at Wrigley Field, I am a bona fide baseball snob. I do not consider any baseball, other than a major league game, played in a major league park to be REAL baseball. Everything else is child's play.

Isn't that like saying you're not a real theater actor until you've starred on Broadway? Or you're not a real musician until you've gotten your band signed to a major label?

It's hard to tell people who are possibly one swing of the bat away from being in the big leagues that they're not playing the real game.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
Default Player?

Quote:
TO THE OTHERS: I considered answering you individually, but, then decided it was not worth it. Remember, having practically grown up at Wrigley Field, I am a bona fide baseball snob. I do not consider any baseball, other than a major league game, played in a major league park to be REAL baseball. Everything else is child's play.
That also sounds like someone who has actually never played the game.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:12 AM

149 posts, read 410,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'm a baseball "snob" myself having grown up practically 15 miles from the house that Ruth built and despised the most well known franchise in the world (New York Yankees).

I don't agree that everything else is "child's play". That really isn't a fair comment to 80% of the population in the U.S.
Thanks to everyone who provided info on batting cages for my son. We will definitely try them out. He has been improving on his own, but needs a little more help in certain areas, but we are getting there.

I also grew up about 45 minutes from the house that Ruth built and loved my time visiting the stadium (I'm very sad they closed it and will dismantle it). You can really appreciate the game by going in person... and it does not have to be at the pro level. In fact, I sat through the first 2 games my son played in and even with the "inexperience" of these kids, you can still appreciate thier effort and determination and I enjoyed my time watching.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 PM

24 posts, read 56,126 times
Quote:

I love baseball. It's odd how baseball gets an image of being for older people. I am 23 and love watching the game TV or in person, and I know many other my age that feel the same way. It's sad that you don't see baseball news, they say it is not popular, but attendance has been on the rise.

This is my first Summer in Charlotte, and have seen the Knights play in Louisville, just wondering how many people go an watch the Knights play.

GO CUBS GO !! 2009 World Series Champions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte