Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Yah, they are still there, but no way as good as they were years ago. It used to be our Friday night place back in the day. Then up to the DQ on Wilkinson for a cone.
We probably crossed paths, LOL. Same route. Open Kitchen, then DQ. How funny. I had not thought about all this in a very long time!!! In high school - this was often the date destination. Later, as a new college grad w/ first full time job - people would get together - maybe 12 or more - and meet at the Open Kitchen on Friday or Sat. nite (or pile into cars and go as groups) . . . my oh my. Long time ago . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,592 times
Ok, the name of the resturant that was on the top floor of the Ivey's building in uptown was "The Tulip Terrace." The waitresses always dressed in uniforms as I recall either pink, trimmed in white or a very light green trimmed in white. and if you were seated beside the windows, it overlooked the old "Settler's Cemetary." It was a very upscale place to have lunch in downtown Charlotte. My mom would take her sisters there for lunch when they visited us in Charlotte from South Carolina. The ladies would wear hats and white gloves. They would let us kids go to "Tanner's" for lunch or the counter at the old Woolworth's I believe on the square and meet them back at "The Square" at a certian time.
Does anyone remember a walk in resturant that served lunch only called Ronny's Grill one block over from West Trade St. near the old cemetary entrance????????

Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,592 times
Does anyone remember the steak house name beside South 21 on South Blvd?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM

368 posts, read 945,398 times
Tio Montero on East Blvd, in the building that is now Brixx Pizzaa.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:21 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Po folks on Independence

Old 09-18-2011, 01:23 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Also Quincys on North Tryon!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
How do you find pictures of old restaurants? I found some on Charlotte Eats. Looking for pics of The Boarshead that was on the corner of Albemarle and Sharon Amity.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Default Shoney's Big Boy

I remember Shoney's Big Boy from back in the day, not the current incarnation. The most famous location was on Morehead St. They had the famous Big Boy burger, hot fudge cake and later breakfast bar. Also the Swiss Miss and Slim Jim sandwiches, and the Fish n Chips and spaghetti dinners were good also. Way back when they even had curbside car hop service, and most locations had the famous Big Boy statue out front, holding the hamburger. They still have Big Boy in Michigan, as well as Bob's Big Boy in California, and Frisch's in Kentucky and Ohio. Wish they would comeback to the Carolinas, as it appears that Shoney's made a mistake when they split apart.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM

545 posts, read 594,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Po folks on Independence
And also on Freedom Drive in front of the Freedom Mall!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 PM

545 posts, read 594,042 times
Always enjoyed Castaldi's at University Place. Had a great lunch buffet. Currently Boardwalk Billys is opened in Castaldi's former location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte