Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 PM

549 posts, read 2,380,456 times

Advertisements

HI

I have been lurking the last few days and reading about how all the schools are congested and not taking any new pupils for the 07-08 school term. So I'm wondering will they ever make a high school to serve all the people who live within "the loop"? My aunt lives in First Ward and my cousins went to Marie Davis middle school near South BLVD and now they go to Myers Park High School. So then my other thought that comes to mind in a few more years when alot of those hi-rise condos are finished and bring so many new citizens to our city what will happen? This is not a negative post about progress, just thinking are they planning to build more schools? Planning for the long term so there is not a huge problem in a few more years down the ling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 PM

82 posts, read 319,167 times
Bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of folks who live uptown do not have children.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 PM

I know they are in young people in their 20's NOW. Yet in a few years what will happen when they have kids and thoe kids need schooling. The whole idea of the post was to discuss the long term not just about in a year or two. I'm all for progress but it needs to be done thinking how it will affect the area in let's say 5 to 10 years from now even later than that.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:01 PM

82 posts, read 319,167 times
And I say again... most folks uptown tend to be somewhat transient. Yes, they might stay long enough to have children, but rarely long enough for those kids to be school-age. I think that generally speaking the school system won't absorb much from the growth.

But also bear in mind that these additional units will bring in significantly more tax dollars to the county.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,371,170 times
N.C. schools wanting in classroom, facility space - State & National

Quote:
High growth rates have forced some N.C. school districts to teach more students than their buildings were intended to house.
If anything it's a great time for good teachers from other states to look for opportunities.

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Of course I am aware of the tax revenue and that developers are marketing the condos for the "hipster" 20 something crowd. Yes some are more transient compared to the person who bought in the burds. However not all will be moving out.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
HI

I have been lurking the last few days and reading about how all the schools are congested and not taking any new pupils for the 07-08 school term. So I'm wondering will they ever make a high school to serve all the people who live within "the loop"? My aunt lives in First Ward and my cousins went to Marie Davis middle school near South BLVD and now they go to Myers Park High School. So then my other thought that comes to mind in a few more years when alot of those hi-rise condos are finished and bring so many new citizens to our city what will happen? This is not a negative post about progress, just thinking are they planning to build more schools? Planning for the long term so there is not a huge problem in a few more years down the ling.
Schools are only congested in the far southern and northern reaches of the county. The schools surrounding the uptown area, and others outside uptown but closest to it, are all serving much smaller populations. The school system is studying current demographics and population expectations in deciding where to place new schools. Until the schools that are already near uptown can at least get filled to their individual capacities, I am sure no new schools will be planned. I agree with clt gator that uptown Charlotte is geared toward either upwardly mobile singles, DINKS, or empty nesters. Condo's built there are not really conducive to family living. Many are only 900 square feet or less! Not that that could not change in 20 years or so, but so far there are no trends that I am aware of of families with school age children living in condos uptown

Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 AM

297 posts, read 1,138,984 times
That is a good question but planning for the future in Charlotte has never been a key theme for Charlotte. Look at the roads and schools now. Also last I heard Charlotte is trying to cover the costs of Schools now by cost cutting. I am sort of curious about our city/county budget where are we red or black?

Old 03-26-2007, 02:33 PM

478 posts, read 2,042,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not that that could not change in 20 years or so, but so far there are no trends that I am aware of of families with school age children living in condos uptown
I thought this was an interesting article:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/452/story/60953.html (broken link)

Sounds like their daughter (senior at Myers Park high school) has mixed feelings. But her school mates love to visit her! And there is at least one baby amoung the 106 condos...

Old 03-26-2007, 03:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
I thought this was an interesting article:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/452/story/60953.html (broken link)

Sounds like their daughter (senior at Myers Park high school) has mixed feelings. But her school mates love to visit her! And there is at least one baby amoung the 106 condos...
I read the article yesterday too. Looks like from what it said this teen and a baby are the only kids in the building. I'm guessing her mom went along with buying uptown since she figures this kid is going off to college soon anyway. This condo was bigger than a lot of them at 1100 square feet, but still only two bedrooms. Until they are built geared more toward family living (more square feet, playgrounds or other kid friendly ammenities), I don't see this become a popular option for families
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte