Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:00 PM
vbg vbg started this thread

35 posts, read 109,798 times

Advertisements

I have just bought tickets for Russian National Ballet (Monday, March 30, 2009, 8 pm, Belk Theater, 2x$20+1x$10(senior ticket)=$50 total). They will perform "Cindarella". But be careful! This is not actually famous Bolshoi or Kirov theaters. As a Russian, I suspect that the final product on stage would not even pass as a dress rehearsal at the Bolshoi theater. If you will see ballet first time, you will enjoy Russian National Ballet's performance. Our situation is that having had the joy of seeing the real things many times in Moscow and Kiev, we have developed an eye for excellence and so anything else just will not do! However, we will go because our grandma wants to see theater in Charlotte

[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,311 times
Well I believe that any theater show sends different troupes. You can't have the same dancers all over the world at the same time. Although it would be nice it is just not going to happen. You have been lucky to see them in their own country but don't spoil it for everyone else by suggesting that they are inferior. These dancers have worked and work all the time extremely hard to dance in these famous productions. To infer that they are not the real thing is not fair to them. Go to the theatre, enjoy the atmosphere, enjoy the show and remember that it's a live show and how lucky you are.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM

My point is that this Russian National Ballet is not really Russian. They should not use words "Russian National" in the title. They do not perform in Moscow! They mostly work in USA since 1989. Yes, this theater invites young graduates from Russian Ballet schools, but that's all.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,891 times
I'm sure that since I have yet to develop an eye for excellence I would hardly notice a difference, but thank you so much for the thoughtful warning. I WILL be careful! Very careful, indeed!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbg View Post
My point is that this Russian National Ballet is not really Russian. They should not use words "Russian National" in the title. They do not perform in Moscow! They mostly work in USA since 1989. Yes, this theater invites young graduates from Russian Ballet schools, but that's all.

Yes the group is specially for North America.These "young grads" I'm sure are the creme of the crop and I'm certain everyone will enjoy Cinderella.
CAMI :: Russian National Ballet Theatre :: Dance :: Ballet

Old 03-24-2009, 05:15 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Though I find the original post a bit condescending, I must say that after watching the real RIVERDANCE video a million times, when the Riverdance troupe came to the city where I was living several years, well I guess, many years ago, it was clear we did not get the A team.

In fact, turned out that after we had purchased ticketes, a year in advance, the troupe had split into THREE. Judging by the cities and venues where the three performed simultaneously, we probably had the C group.

While still fantastic, the "clicks" and taps were just not as sharp as we had grown used to.

lln

Old 03-24-2009, 11:43 AM

240 posts, read 732,075 times
Smile Cinderella

As a ballet teacher, i am taking a large group of students to see this show.
I am fully aware that there are a lot of so called Russian ballet companies that are not actually Russian and i have seen my fair share of very low calibre companies. Coming from England, I have been fortunate to see the Kirov, Bolshoi, etc and even got the opportunity to see the Kirov perform in Leningrad many years ago.

I am taking my students to see a "live production" and this is what I see as the most important thing.
We will just have to wait and see what the dancing is like.

Cinderella is not a very difficult ballet to put on as there is a lot of "character type roles."

Obviously you cannot mess with Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty - those need very good technical dance companies. I have seen some very bad productions of these ballets.

I hope this Cinderella turns out to be good.
The OP may be pleasantly surprised!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
I saw this ballet troupe in Panama City, Florida. They were a hit there as they would put local students in various parts. Parents loved it and the kids had their moment of fame. They are entertaining, and those not familiar with the ballet should not hesitate to go. They are not regarded highly in Moscow, but they will do for here. Bring the on. Nobody will notice if they aren't ballet enthusiests.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
after you have had the best, what scraps they throw you here will seem meager.
for those of us that live on bread and potatoes even a little pork chop seems wonderful.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 PM

So... Cinderella (Marianna Chemalina, right?) danced beautifully. The Prince is also young and great dancer. Only disadvantage was lack of live orchestra (but it will be too expensive...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: