U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:15 AM

10,356 posts, read 20,645,899 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know why Charleston and Birmingham have Saks Fifth Avenue but Charlotte doesn't especially seeing how the city has Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom? Along with that, why doesn't Charlotte have a Whole Foods Market? Even Greenville, SC has one. Seems really odd to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,881,531 times
We don't need whole foods we have Earthfare, Trader Joes etc.

As for Saks there's one in Concord and who needs any more over priced designer garbage stores, we have enough of them in Charlotte already.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,725,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post

As for Saks there's one in Concord and who needs any more over priced designer garbage stores, we have enough of them in Charlotte already.

Thats a discounted outlet saks not a real Saks

Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,868,979 times
I would think that some of the luxury retailers are hurting right now, as people are scaling back and curbing their spending to make ends meet. For me, personally, I would much rather make sure that my mortgage and bills are paid, as well as make sure there's food on the table, than be concerned with sporting the "latest" and "greatest" brands.

With that said, I'm sure there's a reason why certain high end stores do not have a presence in Charlotte. Their market research must have indicated that it would not be beneficial to open here, so they haven't.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:20 AM

124 posts, read 323,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post

My, My, how bitter and sarcastic thou art. If you choose to shop at K-Mart or WallMart that is your perogative, What a negative way to start the day. Remember "Variety is the Spice of Life."

Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,994,650 times
The reason we don’t have a Saks can essentially be blamed on politics. SouthPark was supposed to be getting a Saks with the mall expansion. Then Dee Dee Harris, who’s related to the wealthy Harris family here, lured them to a development she was doing near Quail Hollow (see article below)…

Article: Dee Dee Harris lands Saks for south Charlotte project - Charlotte Business Journal:

Then the deal fell through when she wasn’t able to get financing (see below)…

Article: Harris sinks more than money in Saks project | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-north-carolina/1046563-1.html - broken link)

When Saks backed out of South Park, Nieman Marcus jumped in. After Dee Dee Harris’ development failed to develop, Saks was left out of the market. South Park can’t get zoning to expand any more, and there are no other “high end” developments in Charlotte. The side story here is supposedly that Belk controls all the malls in the area, and when Saks backed out of South Park, they were essentially black balled out of any malls in the area. I don’t know how true that is. There is talk, however, that there may be a Saks at the new Village at Lake Norman development. It would have the size and demographics for that type of store. But Saks is struggling, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

As for Whole Foods, they are supposed to be in the new Elizabeth development, but Whole Foods delayed it. I believe they delayed or canceled several planned new store openings..

Elizabeth Project: Elizabeth Avenue: Gallery

Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 AM

494 posts, read 1,182,651 times
Whole Foods bought land on Colony/Sharon a couple of years ago and was supposed to break ground in 2010. Of course that was before the current state of the economy...not sure now.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,881,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsand2 View Post
My, My, how bitter and sarcastic thou art. If you choose to shop at K-Mart or WallMart that is your perogative, What a negative way to start the day. Remember "Variety is the Spice of Life."

Actually don't care either way just fed up with all the threads why does Charlotte not have.........................

Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,988,384 times
Just to let you know, not everyone has a mortgage to pay for( and no, that DOES NOT mean they're renting either) and just because people shop at high end stores does not mean they are concerned with, as you put it, " the latest and greatest".

Not all of us are "just getting by". Not everyone is "doing bad" financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I would think that some of the luxury retailers are hurting right now, as people are scaling back and curbing their spending to make ends meet. For me, personally, I would much rather make sure that my mortgage and bills are paid, as well as make sure there's food on the table, than be concerned with sporting the "latest" and "greatest" brands.

With that said, I'm sure there's a reason why certain high end stores do not have a presence in Charlotte. Their market research must have indicated that it would not be beneficial to open here, so they haven't.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,868,979 times
Did I say they were? I said "for me, personally".

If you are doing well, congrats! But many others are not, and so are less concerned with shopping at luxury stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Just to let you know, not everyone has a mortgage to pay for( and no, that DOES NOT mean they're renting either) and just because people shop at high end stores does not mean they are concerned with, as you put it, " the latest and greatest".

Not all of us are "just getting by". Not everyone is "doing bad" financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or