U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Charlotte: market, selling the house, cost of living, housing, mortgage.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:14 AM

88 posts, read 230,736 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to know who's moved out from CA to Charlotte and how you are adjusting or have adjusted from the west coast to the east coast.

We're from Sacramento, CA hoping to get to Charlotte/Union County area by September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 12:44 PM

164 posts, read 318,882 times
We must be leading parallel lives - we are moving from Fresno to Charlotte and hope to be there by August. Our problem is selling the house - the market has slowed considerably and we are having a hard time selling. Until then, we are stuck here.

I can't really answer your question, but thought I'd tell you what little I know. We've spent almost a year researching this move and visited Charlotte last November. We could not believe how friendly and warm people were to us. When we drove the residential areas to look a homes, everyone waved. And I mean everyone. People in restaurants were chatty and helpful. We were amazed. We talked to people who explained that Charlotte is fairly receptive to Californians as long as we adapt to the South, as opposed to pushing the "California" image onto them.

We also learned that many Southerners are somewhat offended by the thought that the South is the "cheap" place to be, particularly when it's not cheap for them since that area really didn't experience the housing boom as much. Many Californians, including us, go out and can't believe how inexpensive the housing is compared to California. Being from Fresno, the destination for lots of Bay Area and Southern Cal refugees looking for a "cheap" house, I can relate to feeling somewhat offended by the thought that my hometown is considered cheap when, for me, it's not.

We are really excited about this move. It seems like such a great city. Heard it can be humid, but hey, it's 110 in Fresno today so how can I complain?

Good luck to you on your move -

Connie

Old 06-27-2006, 12:59 PM

Connie...I hear you about the heat....it's been over 100 the past few days. I think it's a little cooler today. I think the only thing we'll need to adjust to is the humidity. We'll be putting our house on the market this week. Hopefully it will sell because it has slowed in Sacramento as well. DH needs to get to Charlotte by the end of September but ideally we'd like to get out before the school year starts. We have a 12,11 and 8 year old. Do you have any kids?

Old 06-27-2006, 02:51 PM

164 posts, read 318,882 times
Yes, we have four kids, ages 10, 8, 5, and 18 months. We've looked quite a bit at the Providence area, as well as northeast Charlotte. I've spent a lot of time studying the schools and have some ideas, but I think it will all depend on how things are when we get there. There's also a lot of buzz about "redistricting," which I guess means that school boundary lines get redrawn frequently and kids get sent to different schools periodically.

I'm getting more nervous by the day about getting there before school starts, but there's nothing I can do until our house sells. I have visions about arriving at the Charlotte airport in August with 4 kids and no home, no car, and school starting the next day! But I know it will all work out - things always do.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:10 PM

Connie....good luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-29-2006, 09:38 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,043,808 times
Hi Lee
My wife and I are from the Fairfield/Vacaville area, and are seriously considering the Charlotte area. I don't think the adjustment will be too hard, especially if you've lived in the Sac area all your life.

Question: in your username, are you referring to Ohana as in "family"?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
Hi Lee
My wife and I are from the Fairfield/Vacaville area, and are seriously considering the Charlotte area. I don't think the adjustment will be too hard, especially if you've lived in the Sac area all your life.

Question: in your username, are you referring to Ohana as in "family"?
backfist....yes...ohana means family in hawaiian.....

small world....my sister and her family are from Vacaville and are targeting to move out to Charlotte by next summer. Their friends are also moving to Charlotte at the same time and are also from Vacaville.

my husband and I will be going to Charlotte in a couple of weeks to check out some more areas in Charlotte. We are looking into the Union County area as well as my sister and her friends.

the location on the top right hand corner of your info says Woodland Park, CO...?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,043,808 times
Yup, small world. As a kid growing up, my family spent lots of time in Hawaii for my martial arts training. So when I see Hawaiian words or symbols, I'm reminded of da kine friends and family I grew up with.

Yes, we live in Woodland Park, CO right now. We always liked Colorado, and always wanted to live in the mountains (even tried living in Truckee for a while). But mountain life just isn't what I thought it would be. It's great for some, but we need the city and suburbs for now.

Vacaville's great, but it's gotten expensive (and a little crowded for its britches). Problem was, I worked in San Francisco, so the commute was a bit much at times. I know it'll be much better in Charlotte.

Good luck to da Ohana.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,964 times
I am moving my family from Sacramento to Charlotte. We will probably be there by the end of july if not early august. We are buying/building in Southwest Charlotte (Palisades) and currently we are looking into private schools for my two children.

Self employed so I get the luxury of taking my work with me. My wife and I are concerned about making friends and connecting, and finding a good church...we are not into the southern baptist churches.

At any rate, we have been back to Charlotte a couple of times and it is an impressive city. The region is awesome, its geographically situated similar to Sacramento is what with the ocean one way and the mountains/snow the other and only a couple of hours either way!

I have family and friends that move out of california and look back and just shake their heads....they are much happier out of the state now. I hope the same goes for us!

Old 07-06-2006, 05:45 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,763,807 times
Is there an exodus out of CA? I know CA is a big place but I'm seeing a lot of CAians wanting out. Just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or