U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Reputation: 39844

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Sadly many of the industries are going through this. Last summer it was USA air layoffs and consessions. Continental tire closed. Win Dixie left the Carolinas. This year it is the banks BofA, Wachovia. And the lenders Wellsfargo, Ameritrust, Freemont and if the rumors are true many more in the mortgage industry. Whats next realtors and homebuilders? Who knows.
tsk, tsk, so much doom and gloom! Look on the bright side, the more that leave the state, the more room there will be for those still wanting to come in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
110 posts, read 363,900 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Sadly many of the industries are going through this. Last summer it was USA air layoffs and consessions. Continental tire closed. Win Dixie left the Carolinas. This year it is the banks BofA, Wachovia. And the lenders Wellsfargo, Ameritrust, Freemont and if the rumors are true many more in the mortgage industry. Whats next realtors and homebuilders? Who knows.
Duke- I'm in the banking industry and yes layoffs and offshoring are very real. The only thing I can say is job first- move later. Don't roll the dice on the possibility of indefinite unemployment unless you have a VERY large reserve to tap into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,901 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
tsk, tsk, so much doom and gloom! Look on the bright side, the more that leave the state, the more room there will be for those still wanting to come in!
tsk tsk such rose tinted glasses!

It's one thing if you're looking at the downside of not getting something simple as your meal being prepared properly. It's another thing to look at the possible downside of being out of work for a period of time long enough to cause some true financial hardship.

If you don't think you should factor a "what if" before making a career decision then I don't know what to tell you. Should the people coming down here be allowed to think that there's going to be rich opportunity in banking when many of us know for a FACT that there are massive cuts coming (on top of the ones that were already made)? Especially in an area already oversaturated with people? That ain't doom and gloom but a harsh dose of reality.

Let 'em all come down south. That way those of us up north will have an easier time finding something while a thousand people scratch and claw for one job down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Trinity Florida
7,928 posts, read 17,752,740 times
Reputation: 1992
ok people get a grip now THIS IS HAPPENING ALL OVER THE COUNTRY...thousands of jobs in NJ and NY are going overseas, and companies are relocating AND LAYING OFF PEOPLE my dh works for the largest Ins company in the WORLD and well they are laying off THOUSANDS so with that being said I really wish U WOULD stop bashing NC because it isnt working for you...and your friends and family..Im sorry but enough is enough and I really think that people should be able to make their own informed decisions....because unless u want to make very little money then YES COME back to the north, where u seem to think is a bed of roses....and go ahead give me some more negative feedback like u have....because u think im rude...but im sure there are alot of people here that want information and to stop listening to u bash THIER DREAM because its not yours...I saw on the other board u cant wait to go back to NJ well guess what u can have it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
tsk tsk such rose tinted glasses!

It's one thing if you're looking at the downside of not getting something simple as your meal being prepared properly. It's another thing to look at the possible downside of being out of work for a period of time long enough to cause some true financial hardship.

If you don't think you should factor a "what if" before making a career decision then I don't know what to tell you. Should the people coming down here be allowed to think that there's going to be rich opportunity in banking when many of us know for a FACT that there are massive cuts coming (on top of the ones that were already made)? Especially in an area already oversaturated with people? That ain't doom and gloom but a harsh dose of reality.

Let 'em all come down south. That way those of us up north will have an easier time finding something while a thousand people scratch and claw for one job down here.
Hey, those rose colored glasses match my complextion so perfectly I think I'll leave them on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,901 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
ok people get a grip now THIS IS HAPPENING ALL OVER THE COUNTRY...thousands of jobs in NJ and NY are going overseas, and companies are relocating AND LAYING OFF PEOPLE my dh works for the largest Ins company in the WORLD and well they are laying off THOUSANDS so with that being said I really wish U WOULD stop bashing NC because it isnt working for you...and your friends and family..Im sorry but enough is enough and I really think that people should be able to make their own informed decisions....because unless u want to make very little money then YES COME back to the north, where u seem to think is a bed of roses....and go ahead give me some more negative feedback like u have....because u think im rude...but im sure there are alot of people here that want information and to stop listening to u bash THIER DREAM because its not yours...I saw on the other board u cant wait to go back to NJ well guess what u can have it...
Temper, temper.... If you don't like or want to hear what I have to say, then just gloss over some of our posts. It's as easy as that.

Maybe it's me but I thought this place was all about making informed, well rounded decisions. If you don't like to hear the truth then I don't know what to tell you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,901 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey, those rose colored glasses match my complextion so perfectly I think I'll leave them on
Now I got a laugh out of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Reputation: 39844
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Now I got a laugh out of that.
Hoped you would! Good to know even if we don't share the same opinions we can still share a laugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,271,901 times
Reputation: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
yea informed decisions not bashing something because its not going your way, so with u leaving there will be 1 less miserable person I have no temper once again u just dont get it nor is it worth my time, so with that, since that all u can say and I assume u have a job already in NJ....so when are u leaving?
You've flown off the handle on me TWICE now for no reason, yet I'm miserable and you don't have the temper. I'm sure you're going to fit in real well with that attitude.

Again, please.... feel free to ignore my posts, sweetheart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM
 
1,800 posts, read 5,163,593 times
Reputation: 734
People, the bottom line is: Make sure you're financially sound enough to handle lay-offs or any other unforseen financial disasters BEFORE you move here or ANYWHERE! It's a no-brainer. There is no such thing as job security anymore, in any industry. (DUH!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top