U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Union County, NC
2,115 posts, read 6,334,596 times
Reputation: 1124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Well. I can appreciate the position you're in b/c you know what I do to put food on my table. I have bought and owned houses in CLT while the prev. owners have cleaned out their garage while I waited on the front lawn of the house I paid all cash and owned. Not a nice thing.

You talk about "entitlement". One woman asked me to store her bedroom dresser in the garage b/c it was too big to move . After a month and a half I had my guy "move it". She came back looking for it. Balls.
Personally I'm shocked that you held onto it that long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Partisanship Is An Intellectual/Emotional Handicap
1,851 posts, read 1,822,017 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
He's wrong on multiple fronts. Quite frankly, I'm not sure how he became such an authority on Blacks (or any number of other subjects).

The absurdity of painting an entire race with such a broad stroke ... no, that wouldn't be racist at all.

The (mis)statements that I see repeated over (and over) here have become astounding (and maybe just a little disheartening or maybe just disgusting).

Fortunately, I know that good and bad exist the world over and I allow people into my life based on their individual merit.

Let me retreat into my leftist, crime ridden, ghettoized version of life (because it can't be any other way apparently) ...
He wasn't speaking of the entire black race. He was refering to a poll taken in 1991....1992 of blacks in the Washington D.C. area. At a time when D.C was horrific with crime. So his comments actually reflect the statistical results of the poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,305,521 times
Reputation: 22274
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
He's wrong on multiple fronts. Quite frankly, I'm not sure how he became such an authority on Blacks (or any number of other subjects).

The absurdity of painting an entire race with such a broad stroke ... no, that wouldn't be racist at all.

The (mis)statements that I see repeated over (and over) here have become astounding (and maybe just a little disheartening or maybe just disgusting).

Fortunately, I know that good and bad exist the world over and I allow people into my life based on their individual merit.

Let me retreat into my leftist, crime ridden, ghettoized version of life (because it can't be any other way apparently) ...
I just clicked on that link and read all that stuff that he said about blacks - is that true? Did he really say that stuff? I thought he was a good person w/ some ideas that were not always mainstream - but those comments were out of the 19th century. I kept re-reading trying to figure out if the author was saying this stuff was untrue or minimizing it or what.

Anyway, while you retreat into your leftist, crime ridden self, Saralee, I am left to contemplate why I am so misinformed about a man I thought I knew a lot about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,305,521 times
Reputation: 22274
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
He wasn't speaking of the entire black race. He was refering to a poll taken in 1991....1992 of blacks in the Washington D.C. area. At a time when D.C was horrific with crime. So his comments actually reflect the statistical results of the poll
I know things can be taken out of context but . . . I dunno. Looked racist to me.

So I go back to what I said before. Where are the Adams, Monroes, Jeffersons today? I swear - I don't see 'em. I made a list of some politicians that I thought were decent people but I am not sure any of them really sacrificed anything for this country (other than military service, of course). I just don't see anyone on the political scene these days that puts country first. I guess I am looking for a Roosevelt, lol. Seems everyone in national politics has special interest groups they put first (both parties). Maybe I am just jaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 12,819,562 times
Reputation: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just clicked on that link and read all that stuff that he said about blacks - is that true? Did he really say that stuff? I thought he was a good person w/ some ideas that were not always mainstream - but those comments were out of the 19th century. I kept re-reading trying to figure out if the author was saying this stuff was untrue or minimizing it or what.

Anyway, while you retreat into your leftist, crime ridden self, Saralee, I am left to contemplate why I am so misinformed about a man I thought I knew a lot about.
Ani, that's the sad bit. Unless you spend literal hours researching people on all forms of web sites (not just the "popular" ones) you really don't know people...and, even then, you don't know the truth. That is why I am adverse to "following the crowd" and try hard to find unbiased information. Even then, I reserve judgment until I can see for myself what their actions are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 12,819,562 times
Reputation: 2320
good morning, everyone. TGIF! 6 am is really TOO early for a decent person to have to wake up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 9,830,831 times
Reputation: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
good morning, everyone. TGIF! 6 am is really TOO early for a decent person to have to wake up!
Pfft!
I was already in the office and through 1/2 a pot 'o coffee by then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 9,830,831 times
Reputation: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So I go back to what I said before. Where are the Adams, Monroes, Jeffersons today? I swear - I don't see 'em.
I just do not think they exist anymore.

I do think Alexis deTocville was onto something in his famous work when he said (paraphrase) 'America is great because America is Good. America will no longer be great when she is no longer Good.'

After moral absolutes and organized religion is scorned, and nothing can be built upon it, the moral compass constantly spins, up is down, down is up.

Personally, I do think America is much too large to govern and rule effectively (much like CMS) and would not mind seeing it split into 3 - 5 autonomous regions.

I am not a depressive 'debbie downer', but I really do not see America returning to greatness in my or my children's lifetime - sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,099,912 times
Reputation: 2115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I am not a depressive 'debbie downer', but I really do not see America returning to greatness in my or my children's lifetime - sorry.


mullman I don't think there's ever a time where we haven't been great. Maybe at times the overall national mood changes (Carter administration, the last couple of years) but America and her promise have never been anything less than great. As a people I think we've caved in to too many special interest groups, too afraid of offending people, we've become overly sensitive. But that's us. We've allowed well-wishing someone a "Merry Christmas" to become the 21st century "f**k you". We're the ones allowing schools to not keep scores in sporting events, hence not teaching kids the value of learning from failing. We're the ones allowing harmless phrases like, "nappy headed ho's" from a former shock jock to cause someone to lose his job. That's us and I believe it's cyclical. Once it becomes too much, the majority will eventually take it back. I think some of us have lost sight on what's made us great in the past, but I still think there's no greater country and no greater promise than this one.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 05-29-2009 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 06:25 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 9,830,831 times
Reputation: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
As a people I think we've caved in to too many special interest groups, too afraid of offending people, we've become overly sensitive. But that's us. We've allowed well-wishing someone a "Merry Christmas" to become the 21st centery "f**k you". We're the ones allowing schools to not keep scores in sporting events, hence not teaching kids the value of learning from failing. We're the ones allowing harmless phrases like, "nappy headed ho's" from a former shock jock to cause someone to lose his job. That's us and I believe it's cyclical. Once it becomes too much, the majority will eventually take it back. I think some of us have lost sight on what's made us great in the past, but I still think there's no greater country and no greater promise than this one.
I agree, great post!
I needed a laugh.

We ARE still the land of unlimited opportunity which can lead to near limitless success.
Just sometimes you have to feel you are surrounded by population getting dumber by the second.

Last edited by mullman; 05-29-2009 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top