U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,451,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes, exactly. The bottom line of all of the moves was due to the fear of loosing their jobs here. The lady that couldn't adapt was seriously homesick, to the point that it was making her ill. However, she was also seriously stressed out, too, thinking that her job would be eliminated (and not without cause, I might add), so, when she was able to get a job back in Jersey, she jumped on it. This last lady was told, point blank, that she most likely would be loosing her job, so, she made a few phone calls back in Jersey and the Pod is packed. Her husband, who does not speak English well, (they are Portuguese) had a standing job offer from the company that he used to work for up there, while he had a difficult time with jobs here in Charlotte.
See - these are the stories - the anecdotal info - that no one can gain by reading newspapers (or those ridiculous magazine articles ) about "where to move in this recession" and "how great Charlotte is b/c the housing market never got inflated" blah blah. Y'all know the stuff I am referring to.

When you know of families firsthand who have literally moved out of the area b/c of job loss (or impending job loss) or b/c they came w/ one job secured and the other spouse has never been able to land a position here - then that info is what newcomers NEED TO KNOW b/f they rush here believing they will "beat the odds" cause "everyone knows - it is bad everywhere - and we gotta get out of this state and get where housing is cheaper." Or - "my unemployment check will go further there." But you know- I am not saying it again! I got slapped too many times in the last two weeks for simply stating - "you do know about our unemployment rate here????" And those coming on contracts . . . especially contracts w/ these banks . . . they do not know what we who have lived here know - that the banks have been notorious for whacking employees loose (700 or more at a time!!!) long b/f this "banking crisis" occurred. Those contracts are not necessarily gonna be renewed, as we have all seen over and over again.

But nope. I am not saying a thing. I just hope that when - a few months from now - I am posting on another state's forum in re: to situations there b/c my son is considering taking a job in one of their communities. . . that others will be straight forward with me when I ask for hardcore, truthful, down and dirty info. I don't want people sugar-coating the situation just so everyone thinks they are gonna be "welcomed" when they relocate. I don't care if the Welcome Wagon shows up; I want to know the truth!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 AM

7,041 posts, read 12,846,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
See - these are the stories - the anecdotal info - that no one can gain by reading newspapers (or those ridiculous magazine articles ) about "where to move in this recession" and "how great Charlotte is b/c the housing market never got inflated" blah blah. Y'all know the stuff I am referring to.

When you know of families firsthand who have literally moved out of the area b/c of job loss (or impending job loss) or b/c they came w/ one job secured and the other spouse has never been able to land a position here - then that info is what newcomers NEED TO KNOW b/f they rush here believing they will "beat the odds" cause "everyone knows - it is bad everywhere - and we gotta get out of this state and get where housing is cheaper." Or - "my unemployment check will go further there." But you know- I am not saying it again! I got slapped too many times in the last two weeks for simply stating - "you do know about our unemployment rate here????" And those coming on contracts . . . especially contracts w/ these banks . . . they do not know what we who have lived here know - that the banks have been notorious for whacking employees loose (700 or more at a time!!!) long b/f this "banking crisis" occurred. Those contracts are not necessarily gonna be renewed, as we have all seen over and over again.

But nope. I am not saying a thing. I just hope that when - a few months from now - I am posting on another state's forum in re: to situations there b/c my son is considering taking a job in one of their communities. . . that others will be straight forward with me when I ask for hardcore, truthful, down and dirty info. I don't want people sugar-coating the situation just so everyone thinks they are gonna be "welcomed" when they relocate. I don't care if the Welcome Wagon shows up; I want to know the truth!!!!
Well, you are exactly right, Ani. and, in at least three of those cases, the people took DEMOTIONS to get more secure jobs in Jersey. they figured it was worth it because, at least there, if anything happened, then, they would be around family who could support them. At least two that I know of was able to capitalize on the foreclosure situation there and buy homes at a much cheaper rate. ($50k for a 2 family home under 10 years old??? WOW). It is just something that people don't see until they jump from the frying pan into the proverbial fire.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:06 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,451,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, you are exactly right, Ani. and, in at least three of those cases, the people took DEMOTIONS to get more secure jobs in Jersey. they figured it was worth it because, at least there, if anything happened, then, they would be around family who could support them. At least two that I know of was able to capitalize on the foreclosure situation there and buy homes at a much cheaper rate. ($50k for a 2 family home under 10 years old??? WOW). It is just something that people don't see until they jump from the frying pan into the proverbial fire.
I have tried every source I can think of to determine the attrition rate from this state. I think a lot more people are leaving and "going back home" than any of us realize. Not only that, I think a lot of people who have been here many years are having to relocate to get a job to replace the one they lost here. Now, to me, this is not at all surprising, as I was raised in a family that moved to go where the jobs were. I expected that if I married a corporate exec - he would go wherever he had to go (transfer or new position) and that was that. So to me . . . this has always been the way the world worked.

But I think a lot of people who moved here after 2001, did so expecting to stay here forever. I believe they thought if they lost a job - this region was booming - so they would doubtless find a job to replace it. That is simply NOT the situation now. There are thousands of jobs that are simply GONE, and won't be back. I am hoping new corps will move in and take advantage of our work force here, but I keep looking around at all these folks who have lost jobs and it seems to me - a lot are gonna have to leave this area whether they want to or not. Those unemployment checks eventually do end.

ETA: I think some people may get innovative and start small businesses. That is one way to stay here. Start a business.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,188,939 times
I agree Ani..start a business. Hubby's business has boomed here, much more so compare to CT. My opinion is that his clients here have much more of a tendency to refer and pass on his services by word of mouth much more than up north. They're either more talkative, or more generous of referral, being small businesses themselves. It seemed to me that when we were up north, hubby's clients were satisfied with the services they got and it ended there. Not a whole bunch of referral...kinda like I'm good and I don't care about anybody else getting it good. Here, his business has exponentially grown and we have not changed our business model dramatically. It almost reinforces in me the thought that up north people were more private and insular. Down here, well, if someone's happy with his accountant, then shouldn't his colleagues be as well? Because of this, I'm not as afraid to lose my job as I was up north. It would be tight, but we would make it.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:59 PM

7,040 posts, read 9,366,646 times
B---what does your hubby do??

Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,188,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
B---what does your hubby do??
John, he's an accountant, prepares books and taxes for individuals and small businessess.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:14 PM

7,040 posts, read 9,366,646 times
Need to keep a good man like this in mind. Somebody has to keep track of all my losses.
je

Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,849,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Need to keep a good man like this in mind. Somebody has to keep track of all my losses.
je
+1

Well, our day trip to Tweetsie got nixed, seems my 8 yr old had a birthday party to attend.
Me and the little one (7) ran some errands around town, then trimmed the bushes.
My wife wished for some peace and quite to catch-up the laundry in the afternoon, so I took the girls out to eat then to see UP.
It was 'ok', certainly not my fav Pixar/Disney flick.

Tomorrow's weather looks great as well - FINALLY!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 12,846,818 times
Well, now we can add chickens to my rescued animals!

Rescued 4 today from the shelter...1 guinea fowl, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Old English Bantam, 1 black hen (don't remember the name, my son told me)

They, of course, went straight to Wesley Chapel to the little farm....

Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,344,980 times
So, whose experienced with wrap around events/fundraisers? I need some ideas.

Also, please let me know if your company might be interested in sponsoring TEAMUCM (Union County Mommies) for the 2009 Walk Now for Autism Carolinas. I'll gladly go over the benefits.

All donations tax deductible ... .

And please, please spread the word. Let others know what we're doing.

Thank you.

Autism Speaks, Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte