Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Salaries are just part of it - and most hospital administrators don't make but a % of what docs do . . . Cost of medical equipment and the over-use of diagnostics . . . lab charges that are out the wing wang b/c of mark ups - pharma that is totally absurd (all greed - everything is driven by STOCK HOLDERS these days). It is greed and it is all b/c healthcare is no longer mission driven - it is profit driven.
I tell you ani, I'm glad the few medications I take are "cheap ones". If I had to pay what some drugs cost (as I'm typing this, the stupid Cymbalta commercial is playing and that's not cheap from what I hear!), I'd go to a college library and get my hands on Chemical Abstracts and buy the lab equipment and chemicals to synthesize a "lifetime supply" of what I take. Eliminate the drug company and the pharmacist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
mornin all....more storms today. SIGH

Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,827,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
mornin all....more storms today. SIGH
It sure did come down last night, I was going to check the rain gage but didn't want to walk across the wet lawn in my flip flops.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,059 times
Right around 9 pm I heard this huge crack of thunder that actually made me jump! Normally I enjoy listening to storms, but I guess that one caught me off guard. The beagle was not happy when I dragged him out from his hiding spot under the bed for his nighttime walk. Poor little guy.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,049 times
Just doing what I've been doing for months now, just with that little added oomph of listening to the soundboard from last night's Phish show. Got 'em all so far within hours after the last notes have been played. All flac files too, no mp3's.

God I love the internet...

Old 06-11-2009, 06:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Just doing what I've been doing for months now, just with that little added oomph of listening to the soundboard from last night's Phish show. Got 'em all so far within hours after the last notes have been played. All flac files too, no mp3's.

God I love the internet...
I keep thinking how many hours I spent in libraries as a student - plus having to request books f/ other libraries, waiting for days (sometimes weeks) - to get the info I needed for citations. I look back and remember how hard it was getting thru/ college and working - and trying to squeeze in all those hours researching just to write papers . . . and I wonder what my life would have been like had I been able to access the net then - like I do now. All those hours, the frustration, the stress w/ rushing to work, rushing to the library, always feeling behind and overwhelmed - and never feeling I had really given my all to my studies . . . If I would have had the luxury of researching online, as I do now - would I have appreciated the convenience, the awesome power of finding that obscure citation in minutes (or even hours) as compared to the weeks of frustration and waiting that were typical back then? Do students today have any idea how fortunate they are to have the net? I often think of this . . . how I used to have to really dig around just to read an article f/ a journal - and now - type some words into google - search around a bit - and VOILA! I am still amazed at how this works, and I have been online researching since 1993, when things were really CRUDE (and yet - it seemed miraculous!) I can't imagine my life without the convenience of the net now . . .

Old 06-11-2009, 06:25 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
I keep thinking how many hours I spent in libraries as a student - plus having to request books f/ other libraries, waiting for days (sometimes weeks) - to get the info I needed for citations. I look back and remember how hard it was getting thru/ college and working - and trying to squeeze in all those hours researching just to write papers . . . and I wonder what my life would have been like had I been able to access the net then - like I do now. All those hours, the frustration, the stress w/ rushing to work, rushing to the library, always feeling behind and overwhelmed - and never feeling I had really given my all to my studies . . . If I would have had the luxury of researching online, as I do now - would I have appreciated the convenience, the awesome power of finding that obscure citation in minutes (or even hours) as compared to the weeks of frustration and waiting that were typical back then? Do students today have any idea how fortunate they are to have the net? I often think of this . . . how I used to have to really dig around just to read an article f/ a journal - and now - type some words into google - search around a bit - and VOILA! I am still amazed at how this works, and I have been online researching since 1993, when things were really CRUDE (and yet - it seemed miraculous!) I can't imagine my life without the convenience of the net now . . .
The upstairs neighbors we used to have in Old Bridge are finally getting a laptop today. I can see us fielding a ton of phone calls...everything ranging from "how do I turn this on" to "where do I click". They're in for a real treat though.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I remember taking typing class in 7th grade, with manual typewriters. Then in HS we got to use electric typewriters and it was so wonderful. Although still having to use the little white correction paper for typo's. In college putting slide shows together creating title slide etc, now Powerpoint, that easy.

I agree Ani, with all the research you can do now without leaving your home and it's right at your fingertips. It's amazing. For some reason I always got the giggles really bad when I went to the library.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
The upstairs neighbors we used to have in Old Bridge are finally getting a laptop today. I can see us fielding a ton of phone calls...everything ranging from "how do I turn this on" to "where do I click". They're in for a real treat though.
I've got my dad hooked on youtube now.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I've got my dad hooked on youtube now.

break.com is every bit as good as youtube. You just need the stomach for some of the stuff that gets thrown up on that site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte