U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,891,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
RIP Jeff Goldblum as well - 3 in one day, 4 famous people in one week!
WHAT? I <3 him! Off to google...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 05:14 PM

I can't find anything on Jeff Goldbum....

Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,248,639 times
The traffic on the internet's calling the Jeff Goldbum one a hoax. Supposedly he's alive and well filming in NYC.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 PM

The mods moved my *What does your username mean?* thread three times.

I think they're bored.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:12 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,730,113 times
Default "weisure"

This site has over 200million views. Fabulously successful. I'v linked something just for starters "weisure". If you have some free time view some of her videos.

Nerd Word of the Day: Weisure

Old 06-26-2009, 05:52 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
I try to look at an artist's body of work as just that - the work itself. That is especially how I have considered MJ's work. Extremely talented. Gifted. Genius! Changed the entertainment world.

Now the personal stuff . . . that is all separate to me, at least insofar as measuring the importance of his work. Who he was as a human being - that is very confusing to me. I have always been quite perplexed about the personal side.

So to measure him as an entertainer - I focus only on his body of work.

I feel the same way about actors out there . . . wish they would just keep their mouths shut and not intrude into my world w/ their personal issues, LOL!!! If I want to enjoy their talent - that's one thing. I don't give a flit about them as people. They are actors - and that means - essentially "tools" that directors use to make a writer's work come alive. If they do a great job as an actor - that is their only reason for being recognized, as far as I am concerned. Don't wanna know about their personal lives, don't wanna know about their quirky habits, etc.

People can be royally screwed up and still contribute as artists. I just wanna enjoy the art. Any more info than that . . . not helpful. However, the media picks things apart and the public has a salacious side - we love to hate on celebrities. And dang - people like MJ provided so much negative material.

I wanna just think about his music and his videos. The man was amazing in that arena. Don't wanna hear about the rest of it.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,037 times
Beyond one or two songs I was never a fan of his music. If I was I'd have a hard time separating the personal and the entertainer aspect. I couldn't with this one. Listening to the satellite radio today, looking around the internet late last night, he's literally been forgiven for something that anyone else would be vilified over.

Michael Jackson remained this beloved figure even though he had some of the most sinister charges levied against him. You can't have the same accusations go on for 20 years without there being some element of truth. He might have been the only man who could get away with that.

If it was self destructive behavior that's one thing (Jim, Jimi, Janis, Elvis...) . When it's behavior directed at someone else, particularly a pedophilia charge, in my mind it hangs a cloud over that person. It becomes pretty hard to separate the two.

Has anyone in history become an afterthought faster than Farrah Fawcett? Within the span of a few hours she went from, "The loss of a 70's icon" to, "oh, by the way...".

Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,104,271 times
Quote:
But none of the major posters on here are actually talking about where they live,how much they paid for their home,their educational level or how many or what make of cars they own. Still don't understand what qualifies as a snob-seems like living around Lake Norman, maybe.

Many of our neighbors have lived in our street since 1960s and sound very similar to those Grandparents you describe. However I am sure Myers Park now has it's fair share of "snobs". What desirable neighborhood doesn't.

Some members openly slate someone who says they want to live in an African American or all white neighborhood, but discrimination comes in all shapes and sizes and there is a strong undercurrent of discrimination going on in this forum that is directed at anyone that doesn't think the same way about things as they do and openly expresses that opinion.Or maybe it's because you are "lower middle class" have bad grammar, lack of college education, a nice house and a nice new mercedes car. But that would be OK if you lived in Myers Park and had a college degree?

So any sign of wealth was considered in very poor taste?I think what you mean was they didn't discuss their wealth, but the fact that they lived in Myers Park, with their antique furniture, crystal and silver and dined at "The club" was enough to tell people they were wealthy!I wonder if they had a housekeeper or a cleaning lady and where they lived.They "openly" demonstrated their wealth by the things they owned, where they lived, the lifestyle they led and where they shopped.They lived in Myers Park and only shopped/dined at places where they would be among people like themselves.So, pray tell, what is the difference?

Unless they have lived somewhere, and that might be down to a specific street in an area, I am not sure what qualifies these people to make so many sweeping statements about neighborhoods and areas- lot of what is posted is merely individual opinion and not backed up by hard facts.

Unfortunately the major posters here all seem to be of the same opinions and that leads to unbalanced, biased information.I think if we knew a little more about some of these members then there might be a bit of "the pot calling the kettle black" going on here.
Members replied

I just don't understand how you "detect a strong undercurrent of discrimination" here on this forum board. What I do detect is perhaps a poster (you) that is not informed about the Charlotte community, reading the tone of a forum board, asking people to divulge very personal information about their finances, not familiar with a particular way of life that existed just a few decades ago, or life in an affluent community in CLT or other affluent communties across America today.

I'm a bit put off by this post and one or two others you have made, namely where you suggested CD people need"to get over themselves". Here you continue down a similar path by asking one to divulge their financial and educational background. A tad rude. You suggest that unless "one lived on a street" their information was of no value" Really? How do you come to that conclusion? Posters "here seem to be of the same opinion, unbalanced and biased opinions". WOW, welcome to the living room of CHARLOTTE City-Data.Did you forget this is a forum on living in Charlotte and it's easy to come to a consensus from people that live, work and play here? For a person that doesn't even live here that's a pretty damning statement I must say. No, you said it. Why, I again don't understand. And last and not least your last line of gibbrish that suggest unless we member give more of our personal information, we are in engaging in "calling the kettle black . .BS".

There's a chip on your shoulder, maybe a log, I see it but don't know why it's there. In time we'll figure it out.
Susan, rest assure other posters on board are a lot more gentle than me and they will smooth over any of the feathers I may have ruffled on your back.
You see, I say what's on my mine directly and forthright. Isn't that what you were asking for?

Have a bright Sunny Day,

je

Susan: Just about anything you would like to know about johne482 is contained in my 1896 posts (one way or another). The 3% I didn't divulge really have to do with things personal to me. ie: color of my underpants, how many mistresses, weight, use of condoms or not, STDs I might or might not have. You know, things like that. EVERYTHING else can be viewed or can be gleened by you on this public forum.
You really need to understand this forum better and what it can do for you. People are not here to hurt you or mislead you. Whatever your problems are I don't think they come as a result of advise from this board.
j

I could only imagine what it would be like to wake up to her each day.
Let's pray: Thank you Lord for these blessings you have given me and that I enjoy .....

j

John, your reference was so ambiguous ("her") . . . it sounds like you are talking about me!!!! I sure hope my hubby wouldn't say he wishes he didn't have to wake up w/ me beside him every morning.

would hope you know me better than THAT!!!. You, my dearest and closest friend. My first friend and advisor on CD. Shame on you!
Hey, do you remember when you told me to back off of Doorway when I said :" Don't get your panties in a knot"?

The reference was made to the one "across the pond" (her geo. description)

j

Well, I wondered

Just got back from fishing and saw the "affluent AA" thread was closed. Man, I could have made a $100 bet this morning when I left that would be the case.
If you ever wondered about the Pol. forum and how it gets heated up, well, the last page or two of the closed thread is a mild preview.

I predict the next thread to get closed is the one of ""Snobiness". Reason being one poster on there has lost her prescription for her meds and when she goes postal. . . good bye thread. Really doesn't matter as OP has never been back. Kinda like eat and run.

City-Data rocks for me. I get information,laughs, insight to people's lives,and a whole lot more.

j

In response

1. Snobs come in all shapes and sizes- you don't have to live in what is considered a snobby area to be one
2.To make personal comments about an individual who dares to express an opinion that is in opposition to the consensus opinion is ignorant and in poor taste and I am sure that if ,as an "outsider", I had made similar comments I would have been shot down in flames and the thread would have been locked.

3.Thinly veiled attempts by another member to make the personal comment seem ambiguous in order to prevent the thread being locked gives the impression that they feel the personal comment is appropriate.

4.In response to the posts "I could only imagine..............to wake up to her every day" and "Reason being one poster on there has lost her prescription for her meds............."- I did indeed need to get a prescription today- for an anti-emetic.I also bought a very large bucket from the DIY store.

6.If I only have a log on my shoulder then I am grateful for that,afterall, looks like trees are fairly common around here

Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,730,113 times
Yawn.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,076,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Beyond one or two songs I was never a fan of his music. If I was I'd have a hard time separating the personal and the entertainer aspect. I couldn't with this one. Listening to the satellite radio today, looking around the internet late last night, he's literally been forgiven for something that anyone else would be vilified over.

I was never a huge fan, only bought the Off the Wall album because I was trying out for the HS drill team and the routine was to one of the songs. I did think he was a great entertainer though, very talented. I noticed that too, most of the reports mentioned it breifly and that was it.

Michael Jackson remained this beloved figure even though he had some of the most sinister charges levied against him. You can't have the same accusations go on for 20 years without there being some element of truth. He might have been the only man who could get away with that.

He and OJ, the gloved one and the one whose didn't fit.

If it was self destructive behavior that's one thing (Jim, Jimi, Janis, Elvis...) . When it's behavior directed at someone else, particularly a pedophilia charge, in my mind it hangs a cloud over that person. It becomes pretty hard to separate the two.

The whole pedophilia charge, something definately wasn't right with him. He needed some serious help. When he admitted he slept with the children, hello! Especially after the first trail, what parent in their right mind would let their child be with this man with out supervision? Because he was MJ that was OK? I partially blame those parents.

Has anyone in history become an afterthought faster than Farrah Fawcett? Within the span of a few hours she went from, "The loss of a 70's icon" to, "oh, by the way...".
I forgot to watch her special when it was on last month. What a tragic story.
I heard her son called her and begged her for forgiveness for what he had done. I only hope he can turn his life around for his sake and in memory of his mother.

I have heard 2 things, he was home alone when it happened and someone found him? and the 2nd is that his personal physician was there and had admistered a dose of demerol. Of course now I am hearing he had a pill addiction. So it will be interesting to see what really comes of this. I think a lot is going to come out now. I always hated when he veiled his kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte