U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 10:44 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Beyond one or two songs I was never a fan of his music. If I was I'd have a hard time separating the personal and the entertainer aspect. I couldn't with this one. Listening to the satellite radio today, looking around the internet late last night, he's literally been forgiven for something that anyone else would be vilified over.

Michael Jackson remained this beloved figure even though he had some of the most sinister charges levied against him. You can't have the same accusations go on for 20 years without there being some element of truth. He might have been the only man who could get away with that.

If it was self destructive behavior that's one thing (Jim, Jimi, Janis, Elvis...) . When it's behavior directed at someone else, particularly a pedophilia charge, in my mind it hangs a cloud over that person. It becomes pretty hard to separate the two.

Has anyone in history become an afterthought faster than Farrah Fawcett? Within the span of a few hours she went from, "The loss of a 70's icon" to, "oh, by the way...".
But he never was convicted of molestation, was he? I agree he was one strange guy - down to "buying" his kids. I always thought he had made himself too vulnerable to money-seeking users who had trumped up charges. Now that he is dead, maybe we will actually hear from that one kid who should be grown up by now. If he says - as an adult - that he was actually molested, then I would believe it. But to me - it all looked like trumped up stuff. Add the accusations to a very eccentric lifestyle and my thought was - MJ is a sitting duck.

I agree - if he was a child molester, then he should have been exposed and been in jail for it. Since he was never convicted of it, I just assumed it was all BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:47 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,454,399 times
I agree!!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
I have always found it interesting (in a sad way) that child stars - whether actors or musicians - seem to typically have big issues in adulthood. Not sure why - cause every situation is different. But it does seem to be pretty common. I always wondered how being a "star" at age 10 impacted MJ's life. Maybe a psychologist could explain. But it sure seemed to have affected him in a big way. It appeared to me he spent his adulthood trying to recapture something he never had as a child.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,898,123 times
Idk if the charges are true or not. I do remember the trial and following it closely and the kid and his mom had VERY inconsistent stories, and the mother was downright crazy tbh. W/ MJ being as weird as he was and always being around kids, I agree that he very easily could have been a target for gold-diggers....I just don't know?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,288,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But he never was convicted of molestation, was he? I agree he was one strange guy - down to "buying" his kids. I always thought he had made himself too vulnerable to money-seeking users who had trumped up charges. Now that he is dead, maybe we will actually hear from that one kid who should be grown up by now. If he says - as an adult - that he was actually molested, then I would believe it. But to me - it all looked like trumped up stuff. Add the accusations to a very eccentric lifestyle and my thought was - MJ is a sitting duck.

I agree - if he was a child molester, then he should have been exposed and been in jail for it. Since he was never convicted of it, I just assumed it was all BS.

You're absolutely right, he was never convicted of it. OJ Simpson was never convicted of murder either but.....

There was a CNN correspondent who said he had looked at all of the documents in one of the cases where he paid this family off (something he's done more than once). He said had that case went to trial Jackson would have been found guilty.

He's had years worth of consistent child molestation allegations. That doesn't happen without some truth behind it and paying a family off doesn't help the cause much either.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,288,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Members replied

I just don't understand how you "detect a strong undercurrent of discrimination" here on this forum board. What I do detect is perhaps a poster (you) that is not informed about the Charlotte community, reading the tone of a forum board, asking people to divulge very personal information about their finances, not familiar with a particular way of life that existed just a few decades ago, or life in an affluent community in CLT or other affluent communties across America today.

I'm a bit put off by this post and one or two others you have made, namely where you suggested CD people need"to get over themselves". Here you continue down a similar path by asking one to divulge their financial and educational background. A tad rude. You suggest that unless "one lived on a street" their information was of no value" Really? How do you come to that conclusion? Posters "here seem to be of the same opinion, unbalanced and biased opinions". WOW, welcome to the living room of CHARLOTTE City-Data.Did you forget this is a forum on living in Charlotte and it's easy to come to a consensus from people that live, work and play here? For a person that doesn't even live here that's a pretty damning statement I must say. No, you said it. Why, I again don't understand. And last and not least your last line of gibbrish that suggest unless we member give more of our personal information, we are in engaging in "calling the kettle black . .BS".

There's a chip on your shoulder, maybe a log, I see it but don't know why it's there. In time we'll figure it out.
Susan, rest assure other posters on board are a lot more gentle than me and they will smooth over any of the feathers I may have ruffled on your back.
You see, I say what's on my mine directly and forthright. Isn't that what you were asking for?

Have a bright Sunny Day,

je

Susan: Just about anything you would like to know about johne482 is contained in my 1896 posts (one way or another). The 3% I didn't divulge really have to do with things personal to me. ie: color of my underpants, how many mistresses, weight, use of condoms or not, STDs I might or might not have. You know, things like that. EVERYTHING else can be viewed or can be gleened by you on this public forum.
You really need to understand this forum better and what it can do for you. People are not here to hurt you or mislead you. Whatever your problems are I don't think they come as a result of advise from this board.
j

I could only imagine what it would be like to wake up to her each day.
Let's pray: Thank you Lord for these blessings you have given me and that I enjoy .....

j

John, your reference was so ambiguous ("her") . . . it sounds like you are talking about me!!!! I sure hope my hubby wouldn't say he wishes he didn't have to wake up w/ me beside him every morning.

would hope you know me better than THAT!!!. You, my dearest and closest friend. My first friend and advisor on CD. Shame on you!
Hey, do you remember when you told me to back off of Doorway when I said :" Don't get your panties in a knot"?

The reference was made to the one "across the pond" (her geo. description)

j

Well, I wondered

Just got back from fishing and saw the "affluent AA" thread was closed. Man, I could have made a $100 bet this morning when I left that would be the case.
If you ever wondered about the Pol. forum and how it gets heated up, well, the last page or two of the closed thread is a mild preview.

I predict the next thread to get closed is the one of ""Snobiness". Reason being one poster on there has lost her prescription for her meds and when she goes postal. . . good bye thread. Really doesn't matter as OP has never been back. Kinda like eat and run.

City-Data rocks for me. I get information,laughs, insight to people's lives,and a whole lot more.

j

In response

1. Snobs come in all shapes and sizes- you don't have to live in what is considered a snobby area to be one
2.To make personal comments about an individual who dares to express an opinion that is in opposition to the consensus opinion is ignorant and in poor taste and I am sure that if ,as an "outsider", I had made similar comments I would have been shot down in flames and the thread would have been locked.

3.Thinly veiled attempts by another member to make the personal comment seem ambiguous in order to prevent the thread being locked gives the impression that they feel the personal comment is appropriate.

4.In response to the posts "I could only imagine..............to wake up to her every day" and "Reason being one poster on there has lost her prescription for her meds............."- I did indeed need to get a prescription today- for an anti-emetic.I also bought a very large bucket from the DIY store.

6.If I only have a log on my shoulder then I am grateful for that,afterall, looks like trees are fairly common around here

The only thing better than psychobabble is psychobabble occurring in my thread.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,054,625 times
what a cantankerous bunch we are this week.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,738,421 times
Well, Mullman, I take exception that "she" said my posts are thinly veiled!
I must be losing my touch b/c I ALWAYS want to go for the jugular directly and w/o shame.

She has damaged my reputation on this board to no end.

LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOO
john

Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,054,625 times
Notice I said 'we', I was talking to myself as well.

But I am off today and until 7.6
Oh what will I do with myself?
I'm thinking after some work around the house is done....a roadtrip.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:21 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,136,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have always found it interesting (in a sad way) that child stars - whether actors or musicians - seem to typically have big issues in adulthood. Not sure why - cause every situation is different. But it does seem to be pretty common. I always wondered how being a "star" at age 10 impacted MJ's life. Maybe a psychologist could explain. But it sure seemed to have affected him in a big way. It appeared to me he spent his adulthood trying to recapture something he never had as a child.
If even half of the stories told about his father are true then it is no wonder he had problems. From the reports it doesn't seem like he had a happy childhood even if he wasn't a star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte