U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 AM

3,429 posts, read 9,260,446 times

Advertisements

First car was a GTO.

We used to line up every morning along the front stretch in front of the High School and have a burnout contest.

I used to win it a lot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,059,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
First car was a GTO.

We used to line up every morning along the front stretch in front of the High School and have a burnout contest.

I used to win it a lot.
LOL.
My Bug would only burnout in reverse.
Probably kept me alive though.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 AM

I'm sitting here in my home office this morning drafting some letters that I'm going to send to Sue Myrick, Barack Obama, and the CEO's of JPMorganChase, Citigroup, BofA, Aetna, Wells Fargo, HomeWatch Caregivers, and SouthEast Toyota Finance. I'm expressing my anger and outrage about how we as Americans are treated like deadbeats and criminals when we have financial difficulties that are beyond our control. I've had it with the harrassments, the constant phone calls, the threats, and the creepy repo men sneaking around the neighborhood.

Anyone have something you want me to add to my tirades?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,059,461 times
Quote:
Well, at least you don't have the swine flu.

Seriously though I completely agree.
The 'bailout' has not trickled down AT ALL.

Commercial lending is still basically shut down regardless of collateral.
It's crazy.

I thought Obama was going to fix everything.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,489,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I thought Obama was going to fix everything.
He did. No more credit. An insurmountable pile of debt for every American family...

Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM

A relative (not me or my spouse) has had major financial issues over the past year. Without work or any income, he has obviously fallen behind on his car payments. It started with me (not him) getting phone calls at all hours from Wells Fargo. I'd ask them to stop calling, and sure enough the next day it'd start all over. They would literally call, I'd not answer, so they'd hang up, and call right back again. 100's of calls a day.

A week ago I see a business card on my front door. The note says for me to call this guy. He's with a reposession company looking for, again not me, but the relative. I told him what he could go do with himself. Then, I hear from the neighbors. This guy went to their homes and was asking them about me (the homeowner and their neighborhood, not the owner of the car) and was telling them that we are a bunch of deadbeats and that they should immediately call him if they saw either of us. Thank goodness the neighbors know me and my family well enough and also told this guy what he could do with himself.

Anyway, the relative has surrendered the car since this all happened.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
A relative (not me or my spouse) has had major financial issues over the past year. Without work or any income, he has obviously fallen behind on his car payments. It started with me (not him) getting phone calls at all hours from Wells Fargo. I'd ask them to stop calling, and sure enough the next day it'd start all over. They would literally call, I'd not answer, so they'd hang up, and call right back again. 100's of calls a day.

A week ago I see a business card on my front door. The note says for me to call this guy. He's with a reposession company looking for, again not me, but the relative. I told him what he could go do with himself. Then, I hear from the neighbors. This guy went to their homes and was asking them about me (the homeowner and their neighborhood, not the owner of the car) and was telling them that we are a bunch of deadbeats and that they should immediately call him if they saw either of us. Thank goodness the neighbors know me and my family well enough and also told this guy what he could do with himself.

Anyway, the relative has surrendered the car since this all happened.
I realize this is now resolved but for anyone else dealing w/ creditors (even if it is not your debt) all you have to do is cite the Fair Debt Collections Act - and then report these cretins when they violate it.

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)

I have provided this info to many friends and acquaintances over the years and it is like magic. You write some letters and voila! no more harassment.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:11 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
CHI - your son is in our prayers. Let us know how things progress!

All the talk about cars - nice thinking back about the years and what cars I was driving.

I can just see everyone else's rides! Nice little trek back to a different time . . .

Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,795,834 times
Quote:
I'm sitting here in my home office this morning drafting some letters that I'm going to send to Sue Myrick, Barack Obama, and the CEO's of JPMorganChase, Citigroup, BofA, Aetna, Wells Fargo, HomeWatch Caregivers, and SouthEast Toyota Finance. I'm expressing my anger and outrage about how we as Americans are treated like deadbeats and criminals when we have financial difficulties that are beyond our control. I've had it with the harrassments, the constant phone calls, the threats, and the creepy repo men sneaking around the neighborhood.

I'm with you SuperK!

GO GET "EM!!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM

197 posts, read 432,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I realize this is now resolved but for anyone else dealing w/ creditors (even if it is not your debt) all you have to do is cite the Fair Debt Collections Act - and then report these cretins when they violate it.

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)

I have provided this info to many friends and acquaintances over the years and it is like magic. You write some letters and voila! no more harassment.
As someone who is involved in lending, deciding which accounts are escalated and helping repo agents recover vehicles, I can give you a little info on this...

If your relative gave your information when he took out the loan then they probably verified the address. They are calling you based on that information. If he did not live there then he had to have something showing your address. If you were listed as a reference only, then every call they made to you after you told them to stop is a case for harassment and a clear violation of the FDCPA. Also, if they have a reasonable suspicion (per the info. your relative gave) that he lives there then it is perfectly legal for them to call your house as many times as they need to throughout the day to speak with your relative. Once contact has been made with the client, they can not call again that day or you can report them for a breech of the FDCPA.

Repo men are a completely different breed. Though there are laws they can not break in order to recover a vehicle, they are usually subcontracted by the credit agency and not directly employed by them. This gives them a lot more freedom to say and do things credit agencies can't say or do. We require all of our agents to carry $1M in liability for exactly this reason.

Frankly, if I shared with you some of the stories of clients we'd had over the years .....

I've had problems myself with a credit card company calling me to collect on a credit card that my name wasn't even on...and this was a year after my divorce was final. So, trust me, I know it goes both ways.

DM me if you need help drafting your letter or more info.

My first car was a cherry red '67 Mustang coupe. It had the original 289 in it...three speed. I loved that car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte