U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 AM

35,217 posts, read 41,853,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Well...I'm working tonight & tomorrow at Knight's Stadium....will probably throw some stuff on the grill on Sun. & maybe hangout with my cousin or the neighbors. Do some work around the house...nothing exciting.

Maybe I'll make some canollis & pizzelles for some people I know...
There ya go w/ the cannolis again! I need to make a trip to Mooresville, Rosie!!! Gonna stop by your house . . . just let me know when you have all the baking finished . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM

1,860 posts, read 3,220,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have asked this before . . . but maybe someone has some insight today . . . why are people who haven't even moved here so insulted when we tell them not to come without a job? I don't get it. My son is even applying for work in other states b/c his college advisors and chair of dept have told him the job opps are just not here in NC right now. He believes them - he is not insulted, LOL. He is grateful they are being straightforward with him (and he is in healthcare, btw, the one area that people like to say still has openings).

So why are people getting insulted and stating crazy stuff like we don't like outsiders here - or - we don't want the competition from newcomers? I find that so strange. I would WANT to know the truth b/f I came here and got myself into a mess without a job. Do people ask questions and just get angry if they don't get the answer they wanted or what?
I don't know Ani...maybe they just don't want to hear the truth....maybe they've just painted such a rosey picture of what life can be for them in NC that they don't want to hear anything negative. I for one hope you don't stop giving advice/insight/info/ laughter/kindness...etc...to this forum.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM

1,312 posts, read 3,010,514 times
Quote:
I don't know Ani...maybe they just don't want to hear the truth....maybe they've just painted such a rosey picture of what life can be for them in NC that they don't want to hear anything negative. I for one hope you don't stop giving advice/insight/info/ laughter/kindness...etc...to this forum.
I think you're dead-on, BxRosie. Things are bad everywhere, and it is hard to hear that your envisioned paradise is in fact in the same trouble. It also seems that everyone is a little tense and quicker to jump. It makes sense, as jobs are in limbo, savings, etc. Tension and unsure financials don't make for calm, rational decisions. As ctribucher and Ani have also said, I just skip those threads. I don't have time for bad attitudes.
Nothing can really bother me right now, though. I'm only 8 days away from a week at the beach, so bring it on!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,594,823 times
I agree with everyone else. I don't understand why people would not want the truth; in fact, one of my biggest pet peeves is folks that always sugar-coat everything. Can't figure it out...

Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thanx, Rosie. I think my approach f/ here out is . . . help if I can but if it starts getting turned around . . . forget it (as Cheesehead said . . . who has time for bad attitudes).

Hope you have a good weekend at the stadium, Rosie!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I think you're dead-on, BxRosie. Things are bad everywhere, and it is hard to hear that your envisioned paradise is in fact in the same trouble. It also seems that everyone is a little tense and quicker to jump. It makes sense, as jobs are in limbo, savings, etc. Tension and unsure financials don't make for calm, rational decisions. As ctribucher and Ani have also said, I just skip those threads. I don't have time for bad attitudes.
Nothing can really bother me right now, though. I'm only 8 days away from a week at the beach, so bring it on!
Alright - beach trip on the horizon!!! How can you stand the wait??? It is so nice to have something wonderful to look forward to . . .

Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I agree with everyone else. I don't understand why people would not want the truth; in fact, one of my biggest pet peeves is folks that always sugar-coat everything. Can't figure it out...
It is so odd how things go . . . it was only a few weeks ago that someone got a big thing going about how we all cheerlead for Charlotte . . . now it is - we are all afraid newcomers will "take our jobs" (what jobs????) LOL!!! If you say - be careful - think twice - it's not the Emerald City here . . . you are unwelcoming . . . If you say - come on down - great place to live - you are cheerleading.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:26 PM

1,312 posts, read 3,010,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Alright - beach trip on the horizon!!! How can you stand the wait??? It is so nice to have something wonderful to look forward to . . .
It's hard to wait, but this year it's been so chilly, I'm glad for a little time for it to warm up. Things seem to have righted themselves, though, just in time. May has been such a whirlwind--preschool wrapping up (I'm both a parent and teacher), beach coming up, lots of meetings, dinners, etc.
I can use a break, even if my "break" means chasing my boys around the waves and sand. I can't wait!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,553,353 times
Personally, I'm under no true obligation to give anyone good advice or any advice at all. Rarely do I give out any advice at all beyond directions to and from places (making it all the more remarkable that I have over a thousand rep points). Everything else is just commentary, a view on what I see around where I live..."yeah, it's a really nice place" kinda thing, or a wise crack remark. That being said you'll never see me giving what I know to be bad information if I choose to give anything at all. Overall I'm not big on the idea of "this is what you should do" or "this is where you should live" or "this is where you'll be happiest". Unless the area is a known bad area, I mostly lay low and stay away from helping people too much. There's something about the potential of having something not work out and hearing a "yeah, but YOU told me this" that I really don't need. That's just me.

Plus you get people like loves and Ani who go so far out of their way to help people only to get that extended helping hand bitten (are either of you guys on the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce? No? Don't believe it... ). That bothers me greatly because all that does is encourage honest, helpful people like those two to sit back and not do anything. And trust me when I say that does this board a great disservice. They're the last two people on this board who deserve to get whip-smacked around they way they do at times. If anyone deserves to be whip-smacked at times it's me. Then again, I do tend to keep my bedroom activities private.

<Oh hush!!!! It's a joke!!!>

As far as the jobs thing goes, I really don't care what people do. I understand that it affects us to some extent. I also know you'll never fully convince most people things are better or worse. Will I go around making sure everyone who posts looking for info about an area that they have a job lined up? Nope, not my business to ask. Granted I haven't been as lucky as my wife but she did nail something within days of us moving back here. She works a position that is so busy that they hired until they couldn't hire any more. Then to have it be so busy that they took around 20 people and turned those spots into shift work, artificially doubling computers. A friend of mine who got laid off not long ago just landed back on her feet doing consulting for Wells-ovia. I know it's known to not be the best strategy in the world but I never, ever take for granted what people are capable of pulling off. Plus I don't know if they have a s**t-ton of savings behind them, if they're retired, if they're working out of their home, whatever their situation is so I don't ask. It's not my business.

Besides, I do notice that most people who are looking to come here without anything lined up are asking about the state of a particular industry first. Everyone else seems to have something at the ready and *it does give the impression that some things around here are just now starting to break. Which kinda lends some credence to NCtruth's post...the jobs are there, scarce as they might be.

*Disclaimer: this isn't meant to be taken as a free-for-all. Stay right the ***k where you are until further notice. I don't wanna hear crap from anyone that I gave out bad advice as far as jobs go.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:40 PM

HEE HEE! Brian, your posts always make me smile (or spew on my keyboard!!!)

I get a lot - A LOT - of PM's f/ newcomers or those thinking about moving here and they often are questioning "just how bad it really is" here. I know from talking to Loves, she does, too. B/c of this - I know I have just started saying up front - "just make sure you have a job lined up." Your approach is better, cause you are right - one never knows unless a person posts what the financial situation might be. You are so right - not my problem if they come here and can't find a job. I just hate to see all the social problems (and personal dilemma) that people have ended up in b/c they landed here w/o employment and now can't afford a ticket back home (and I have gotten PMs about that - too - help me find a way to get back home - no money, nowhere to turn).

I ain't gonna ask another person if they have a job lined up . . . or if they realize how bad it is here w/ the economy.

My advice from here on: Jump on in! The water's fine!

Charlotte is a decent place to live - but I don't think it is the greatest spot in the country. I guess that is what perplexes me . . . there are other areas I would be just as happy living in. I just can't figure out why someone would be hellbent on coming here when unemployment is so high. I remember in the 70s how all I wanted was to get the hell outta here (b/c of the recession). I could not get a job in my field and I felt I was wasting valuable career time. So I can't quite figure out why someone who is wanting to build a career would defy all odds and insist on coming here when the chances of building a career here are terrible right now (unless you have been recruited for a job, of course). There will always be people who have specialized skill sets that land jobs - if those skill sets are in demand. But dang - I look around at all the talented, well educated, experienced employees I personally know who are out of work right now . . . and who will take a job ANYWHERE even tho it means moving . . . and I just can't quite process people coming here without a job, LOL!!!! (But as you said - their business).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte