Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 07:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,149 times

Advertisements

Ani,

If you haven't given the knock-out roses or double knock-out roses a try - you just have to! I know NOTHING about plants and these are my biggest success. They are so hardy, so disease resistant, bloom continuously and just beautiful. Otherwise, I have an internal competition going on to see what I can kill the fastest.

We lost an awesome butterfly bush that flanked our front porch in a storm last year. It was huge, goodness knows how many years old but it was uprooted one day.

Our azaleas are great but that's no thanks to me. They just appear to need little care.

Me and my boys planted mum last year around the mailbox. I was initially hopeful that they'd come back this year (September, right?) but it doesn't appear like anything is happening there. We really need to put some knock outs in this area - they are just so inviting.

And finally we have the hanging potted begonias and petunias - with two nests and what I believe are robins eggs? Maybe. Really eager to see if they hatch. Momma bird spends a lot of time on top of them. We remain hopeful and we're more interested in the prospect of baby birds than the plants at this point.
And like posted previously, my hanging begonias and petunias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

So I am being very careful about spending the $$$ on plants at this point. I have been able to locate some old species that have survived over a century here (f/ my g/mother's estate) so I am moving some of those here in the coming weeks - old fashioned plants that have been propagated by my dad. Lilacs, forsythia and possibly some Rose of Sharon (moved five last year and 3 survived). I am hoping these very hardy plants will make it here. We have so much shade in two areas - I am sure that has added to the problems. Plus, deer killed quite a few of our plants.
WOW - your dad sounds like an expert!

Certainly there is a way to gently repel the deer? What do people do in this instance?

I really, really want some peppers, tomatoes and herbs but I just can't picture where to start. I think I need to begin with containers.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Default There are TWO of them????

Don't tell me there is a SophiaLee and a SaraLee on board. I am brain dead.
Please keep all correspondense in utmost privacy lest I will be exposed.

TIA

je

Old 05-23-2009, 08:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post

TIA

je
Hang in there, John. Just don't glance at names too quickly or you WILL get mixed up!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
SARALEE - thanx for the heads up about the roses! I do love roses!

You are gonna have to keep us up to date on the baby birds. I so enjoy watching the nests and seeing how hard the birds work to keep those babies fed. I have my office window where I can watch the birds coming and going and I find all their activity amazing.

The deer . . . well . . . what we have done is replace plants w/ stuff the deer don't like as much, LOL. Also, we heard that hanging Irish Spring soap from trees detracts the deer, so we have soap in trees all around the back of the yard, HEE HEE!!! And it seems they have NOT come up into the yard as much since we put the soap bars out. They are out almost every morning, year round. They follow the creek. The neighbors have pondered where they stay and we think they are somewhere around Carmel CC or Country Day at nite (from sightings). Sometimes we have as many as six in the back of the property.

I tried to figure out how to get them to just leave the area and then I decided their habitat is fairly stable here (no building around here for a while) and they have to live SOMEWHERE - so at least they are safe if they follow the creek and stay at the back of our property. They strip the small bushes and trees down near the creek, so we just won't ever landscape in that part of the property.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:14 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,909 times
Ani, I love old flowers (thats sound funny) but what I mean is that I love plants that have been given or shared with me. I have some long stemmed sunflower like ones that came from a neighbors mom's yard and they are perennials but they were planted over 20 years ago in her yard so she shares them. In effect they themselves are not old but I know their history! I also have some heavenly bamboo which are over 50 years old and I got them from an old house which was been demolished down on Sth Blvd (where the new lowes is). I transplanted them right in the middle of summer 2 or 3 years ago and they are absolutely gorgeous. Then I have nandinas and a few others which I can name at this moment in time that had been dug up and thrown out for the yard waste at the front of our neighbourhood. So I threw them in my car and in the ground and voila I have beautiful mature shrubs in my yard.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:35 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,035,679 times
mornin' all...rainy, humid...good day to do inside things...

Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,550,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post

TIA

je
LOL!

Ani, I agree w/ SaraLee about the knockout roses. I have about 6 of them and they grow like a weed! All you have to do is deadhead them and BOOM you have more buds in a couple weeks.

And Saralee those Butterfly Bushes grow really fast. I bought my mom one about 5 years ago and it is already huge. You should get another one! They attract hummingbirds too, which I absolutely love.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:54 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,049 times
CD'ing from the Q lot at the Lowes Speedway due to this nifty connection we needed to buy a year ago. Not even ten in the morning and the thrid beer is almost down.

It's on kidz...this could get ugly before the day's done....

Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
CD'ing from the Q lot at the Lowes Speedway due to this nifty connection we needed to buy a year ago. Not even ten in the morning and the thrid beer is almost down.

It's on kidz...this could get ugly before the day's done....

Yep, the dead give-away was your spelling of "third". Your're slurring your spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte