Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 06:22 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times

Advertisements

I've made something similar to mullman's recipe, but with a chuck roast and the dry onion soup mix. I put my potatoes and carrots in right away, too, as they (potatoes) don't ever seem to cook unless they're in there all day. Sounds delicious! And not turning the oven on when it's this hot is always a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I've made something similar to mullman's recipe, but with a chuck roast and the dry onion soup mix. I put my potatoes and carrots in right away, too, as they (potatoes) don't ever seem to cook unless they're in there all day. Sounds delicious! And not turning the oven on when it's this hot is always a plus.
Chuck roast is my cut of choice for a roast too. It has lots of collagen in it so it breaks down beautifully.

I use beef broth with a splash of red wine for acidity in place of water, and add whole mushrooms and garlic cloves too. I don't use the onion soup mix, I have an herb garden and just load it up with clippings from there and use lots of Kosher salt and pepper.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Chuck roast is my cut of choice for a roast too. It has lots of collagen in it so it breaks down beautifully.

I use beef broth with a splash of red wine for acidity in place of water, and add whole mushrooms and garlic cloves too. I don't use the onion soup mix, I have an herb garden and just load it up with clippings from there and use lots of Kosher salt and pepper.
That sounds DELICIOUS! I know, the soup mix is just a bag of salt, but I don't have an herb garden. Fresh herbs, that bit of wine, yum! I'll have to try that next time.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default Saving on your NY heating bill.

Guess it will come as a bit of a surprise to transplants from the NE that saved a ton on heating bills this winter by living in CLT. Cooling a house cost money. Yep, you get a bill and Friday's forecast is 94 degree.

Welcome summer. Only the second day and a lot more to go.

Anyone know the cost of energy comparison of one hot month in CLT vs. one cold month in NY? Let say a 2500 sf house for example.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Guess it will come as a bit of a surprise to transplants from the NE that saved a ton on heating bills this winter by living in CLT. Cooling a house cost money. Yep, you get a bill and Friday's forecast is 94 degree.

Welcome summer. Only the second day and a lot more to go.

Anyone know the cost of energy comparison of one hot month in CLT vs. one cold month in NY? Let say a 2500 sf house for example.
I have seen a spike in my Duke Power bills in the last year, but prior to that . . . my Kansas bills were almost identical to my NC bills - year round. Kansas has extremely cold winters (many days in the teens, nites in one digits) and brutally hot summers (weeks of high 90s, many days of 100 plus temps). I honestly could tell no difference, except that my bills were more here in NC b/c we have electric water here and we had a gas water heater in KS. Subtracting that out of the Duke power bill - it was almost exactly the same to pay for heat/AC here as in KS (for the entire year).

Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I moved out of NY in '96, but I know that I paid more for the combined gas/electric per month then than I do here today.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
I am just pleased to be paying less for a/c in our house vs. what we were paying in our apartment. Ah, the joys of a properly maintained HVAC system.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
I average about $100/month running the main AC at 75* & my office AC at 72*. We have about 2200sq ft.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:51 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
What's cookin'?

Sounds like Mullman's crockpot recipe was a hit.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
What's cookin'?
I marinated skinless chicken breasts all day yesterday in Jack Daniel's sauce, then tossed them on the grill for dinner.
Served up with real (not instant) mashed potatoes and a tossed salad of mixed baby greens, cherry tomatoes, green/yellow/red peppers, and sliced almonds.

I cook and the wife cleans up, it works for us.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte