Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are so right . . . there were no "Shining Stars" standing up for We, the People. All of 'em let us down. We sure don't have an Adams, Monroe, Jefferson, Payne, Franklin today. How could one generation have had all those patriots and today . . . nary a one (on the forefront, anyway).

You know what, that's not true.

We have some.......Dennis J. Kucinich and Ron Paul. Two very BIG Patriots.

But of course, people get hoodwinked into slamming those two because the media loves to play them down and marginalize them as kooks.

Realistically, those two know what this country needs and what has to be done.

The financial institutions would never like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:37 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,899 times
[]About 12 percent of U.S. homeowners late paying or foreclosed | Reuters

Just saw this article on the drudge report. Not very promising news regarding unemployment and foreclosures. Here's a quick blurb.

"The housing market depends on the employment situation," he said, "and we don't expect unemployment to bottom out until the middle of next year, so then normally housing would not recover until after employment recovers."

Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post

But of course, people get hoodwinked into slamming those two because the media loves to play them down and marginalize them as kooks.

I also think they are patriots. They just aren't getting the ink, I guess. Well, there are so many pundits on TV today - good grief. Not like they are SCHOLARS or INTELLECTUALS. But that is who we get a steady diet of - pundits and radio/tv show "hosts."

I would rather hear a constitutional expert . . . an historian . . . in fact, I surf a lot on C-SPAN so I do get to hear those types of speakers.

Seems a lot of people want a rock star as leader these days - an entertainer.

And as far as Michelle Obama . . . the media make me sick. Really. The woman has a sterling education and has had her own career. Why don't people focus on that? I personally think she has atrocious taste, but so what - who cares. Just sad that she is being touted as a fashion plate when that is definitely NOT her strength. She even has lousy posture. But that is the media's focus. What they should focus on is what she brings to the table and her emphasis on education. She is being trivialized and if I were she, I would highly resent it.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post

Ron Paul maybe. However his "95% of all blacks in DC are criminals" and "5% of blacks have sensible political opinions" lines will never get him elected. Although I did like his idea of allowing airlines to make their own rules about passenger guns to fight terror.

Dennis "Moon Unit" Kucinich is an outright kook. The media didn't do that, he did that to himself. When the Cleveland Dealer said he was at risk being tagged "the Moonbeam Congressman" they weren't kidding. I could care less about the UFO sighting (Jimmy Carter claimed to have seen one...oh boy...). How many times have I heard him talk and start thinking, "This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius". I wouldn't trust him in office any more than I trust our current president. Not to mention he's still too liberal and looking to take away all handguns will not fly with many Americans.

We don't call him "Kookcinich" for nothing.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 05-28-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
I also think they are patriots. They just aren't getting the ink, I guess. Well, there are so many pundits on TV today - good grief. Not like they are SCHOLARS or INTELLECTUALS. But that is who we get a steady diet of - pundits and radio/tv show "hosts."

I would rather hear a constitutional expert . . . an historian . . . in fact, I surf a lot on C-SPAN so I do get to hear those types of speakers.

Seems a lot of people want a rock star as leader these days - an entertainer.

And as far as Michelle Obama . . . the media make me sick. Really. The woman has a sterling education and has had her own career. Why don't people focus on that? I personally think she has atrocious taste, but so what - who cares. Just sad that she is being touted as a fashion plate when that is definitely NOT her strength. She even has lousy posture. But that is the media's focus. What they should focus on is what she brings to the table and her emphasis on education. She is being trivialized and if I were she, I would highly resent it.

I hate the shape of her mouth. I'd love to pop her one right in the chops just to see if I can correct whatever it is that's wrong with her mouth.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
What they should focus on is what she brings to the table
Yes, but, but, but then the media would have nothing to publish.

Sorry Ani, couldn't help myself. I was overwhelmed with the opening.

LOL
john

Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Yes, but, but, but then the media would have nothing to publish.

Sorry Ani, couldn't help myself. I was overwhelmed with the opening.

LOL
john

John, I saw this today and you came right to mind...

Police find woman shot dead in car in East Orange - NJ.com

Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Ron Paul maybe. However his "95% of all blacks in DC are criminals" and "5% of blacks have sensible political opinions" lines will never get him elected. Although I did like his idea of allowing airlines to make their own rules about passenger guns to fight terror.

Dennis "Moon Unit" Kucinich is an outright kook. The media didn't do that, he did that to himself. We don't call him "Kookcinich" for nothing.
Call him Kookcinich all you want.

But go on youtube, type in his real name and watch all the videos of him standing up and challenging Congress against all the issues/policies/laws that I know you and I agree on and are against.

Kookcinich has one hell of a large set!!! Balls of steel!

As you know I am for the right to bear arms. But his stance on handguns is being a little distorted. here's what he has proposed:

Kucinich supports the following principles regarding guns:

" Reauthorize the ban on the sale or transfer of semi-automatic guns, except those used for hunting.

Maintain and strengthen the current level of enforcement of existing federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns.

Require background checks on gun sales between private citizens at gun shows.

Require a license for gun possession.

Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks.

Establish a national database of ballistic “fingerprints” to track guns used in criminal activities.

Strengthen the enforcement of existing federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns. "

So he's not really preaching a complete ban on all handguns. But I still disagree with some of this stuff he proposes.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with most of his approaches and ideas. Not all, but most. That's better than any other candidate.

As for Ron Paul, you may want to read this and get a better idea of what context Paul made those comments. He was commenting on poll statistics and the crime rate in D.C. back in the early 90's. Which sadly was accurate

The "racism" charge and Ramesh Ponnuru

" So, Paul in a newsletter in 1992 pointed out the truth that blacks, particularly blacks in D.C., commit fantastically high rates of crime; he pointed out that blacks are at least 90 percent leftist and statist in their political leanings; and he said that "by far" the worst lobby in D.C. is the Israeli government. Bernstein also said, though he doesn't provide a direct quote, which makes the assertion very questionable, that Paul said that the goal of the Zionist movement is to stifle criticism. And on this basis Sager states conclusively that Paul is "racist" and an "anti-Semite." All nuance is out. Sager doesn't merely say that Paul unfairly attacked the Israeli government, which would be an arguable charge. Sager doesn't merely say that Paul made an anti-Israel statement, which would be an arguable charge. Sager doesn't merely say that Paul made an anti-Semitic statement, which might just barely be an arguable charge. No. Sager called Paul himself an "anti-Semite." Period. Meaning that Paul is a person who has a fixed hostility against Jews as Jews.
And Ramesh Ponnuru, without any qualification or caveat, linked Sager's article with its summary statement that Paul is a "pretty racist" and "an anti-Semite" and commented, "Race and Ron Paul, this is pretty bad."

This is not your father's National Review. It's not even your older brother's National Review. This is a National Review that has been by taken over by chestless liberals who casually call people "racist" and "anti-Semite" on the flimsiest of evidence.

The racism charge and Ramesh Ponnuru. Pretty bad. "

Quite frankily, I don't see where he's wrong on anything.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:28 PM

With Kucinich, which is it?

Dennis Kucinich on the Issues

Quote:
* We have babies dying in the streets; ban handguns. (Jul 2007)
* Ban sale or transfer of semi-automatic guns. (Nov 2006)

* Require background checks, licensing, and fingerprinting. (Jan 2004)
* Voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
* Voted NO on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
* Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
* Rated F by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2003)

He started off regulating the sale of guns but turned to looking for an outright ban. That's not a distortion, that's a flip flop.

He's all over the place. Agree with him on decriminalizing pot, disagree with him on abortion. He's pro reparations to an extent which I am VEHEMENTLY against (that's worth at least two strikes), also pro affirmative action which should have been done away with a long time ago.

Add to that all of us being one in the stars and universe and all that other jazz...nope...he's still a kook.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Well, I think there are congressmen and senators who are patriots, even if they may have some - uh - less than mainstream ideas. Patriot meaning - want to serve this country and want to do what is best for the country - and uphold the Constitution. But I sure don't see many of them around right now. I have a list of men I admired in the past: George McGovern, Paul Simon, Tom Foley, Sam Ervin, Jesse Helms, Bob Dole, Nancy Kasselbaum, Gerald Ford . . . you don't have to agree w/ people to still admire them as being sincere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte