U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 55,488 times

Advertisements

I went to school outside of Charlotte (Davidson College '05) and I am now looking to move back to the Charlotte area. Unfortunately I am finding the job search very difficult. I hear that the job market is great but I have not found that to be true. I was an Econ major and have been working in investments for about a year, with all of my securities licenses and such. Unfortunately none of the websites I have seen have jobs that fit my experience level and I have not found any good recruiters in the area.

Can anyone help me out? I know BoA and Wachovia are big but how do they staff their positions and what else is out there?

Thanks for the help everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times
My wife works at Wachovia. The way she was able to get on which seems to be the norm is to get temp position which either ends up as perm or you post out for a perm job.

Davisdson is a fine College you should not have much problem. Let me know if I can help.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:28 PM

I have no problem working in a Temp to Perm type of scenario. I believe that I will be able to advance once I have a position, but I have not been able to find anyone who is staffing those jobs.

If you have any way to help me find who is staffing these type of positions, I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your help

Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Check on Wachovia's website they have there own Headhunters etc. I think its called First Place. You can even go there at the center on WT Harris and talk with them. I am not sure where you are located so it might be a little tougher for you.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:34 PM

http://www.wachovia.com/inside/page/0,,137_359,00.html

Old 03-26-2007, 07:38 PM

That is extremely helpful. Thank you. I did not find that link when I went to Wachovia's website. Does your wife work at the Wachovia corporate center or for a bank branch?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Vanguard Mutual Funds and TIAA-CREF both have "very large" opertions here and they are always looking for licensed people.

Also, E-trade has a customer service center here that I think is fairly new and they hire licensed people as well. If you go to their web site and look under careers there are some Charlotte open postions for licensed people under "Customer Service".

Also Citi Financial has a large customer service center in Fort Mill that you may want to check out too. I'm told they have positions for licensed people also.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 PM

She works in the corporate center. Also some of the companies Carolina blue mentioned might be worth checking out too.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Thank you Carolina Blue. I will have to look into those opportunities. Have any of you heard that the job market is booming in Charlotte? I have heard this but I have also heard that many companies are cutting back.

Also, some of the firms I've talked with told me that I may have problems because most of the hiring is done in the fall, and I am looking immediately. Is this a common trend for most organizations down there? Does anyone know?

Thank you for all the help so far

Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beralston View Post
Thank you Carolina Blue. I will have to look into those opportunities. Have any of you heard that the job market is booming in Charlotte? I have heard this but I have also heard that many companies are cutting back.

Also, some of the firms I've talked with told me that I may have problems because most of the hiring is done in the fall, and I am looking immediately. Is this a common trend for most organizations down there? Does anyone know?

Thank you for all the help so far
To say that Charlotte's job market is "booming" would be subjective; and it would depend on what other area you're comparing it too. I would simply choose to say that Charlotte has a "healthy" job market. Meaning there are jobs out there and people are getting them. I'm not an expert, but I've heard that now is actually a good time to look for a job (the spring). You haven't been out of school that long ('05), so know that because of your limited experience, you'll probably be competing for the same jobs as many graduating Seniors, but look on the bright side, you'll have more experience than them. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or