U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,869,114 times

Advertisements

If they like to do things outdoors, here are some favorites:

Annie Springs Close Greenway
http://www.leroysprings.com/GreenwayTrails.cfm
Hiking, biking, horseback riding, etc.

Springs Farm
http://www.springsfarm.com/
Are they picking strawberries yet? Pick-your-own starts really soon!

Camp Thunderbird
http://www.campthunderbird.org/
A YMCA camp on Lake Wylie - a huge favorite field trip for 5th graders from Union County Public Schools. I've chaperoned the trip and even I had a great time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 AM

259 posts, read 1,093,019 times
Maybe its not wise to let 11-12 year olds rule family decisions. If you want to move here because you generally like it, and not solely for financial reasons, then your kids will pick up on that. My son was upset to leave his grandparents, some of whom he used to spend every other weekend with. I guarantee you, it was not "buying a nicer house" or "nicer car" that has or could have convinced him. It was after moving here that we tried to find the things we were familiar with back where we came from, i.e; enrolling him in soccor, finding a church, finding great parks to play ball and hang out, along with new things like having a great backyard to play in that has kept the homesickness to a minimum.
And its not like you're moving to another planet- children are children no matter where you go, a lot of the same activities exist. How are 5th and 6th graders going to grasp that? They might as well think they are moving to a cow farm, or to Mars by how you portray this place as so different

Old 03-28-2007, 12:25 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,912 times
Be sure to show them the waterpark at the Baxter Y. Those YMCA waterparks are pretty unique, I think. And just driving through Baxter or Tega Cay on Easter Sunday you're sure to see tons of people outside playing, walking, running, etc.

The Tega Cay Golf Club has a great brunch buffet that my kids love, mainly because when they get bored of sitting with us, they can go out on the veranda.

And if the weather is nice, be sure to drive by, or visit, Walter Elisha Park in Fort Mill. There is a great playground and fields that are usually teeming with families playing pick up baseball, flying kites, etc.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 PM

362 posts, read 1,243,759 times
Default I agree with fromcenFL...

Um...how about you and your husband make the major decisions in your family (such as moving, home purchasing, etc), and your kids can learn to adjust to it and live with it like most other families in America? You're the adults, NOT them. You're the ones who work and pay the bills, NOT them. You're the ones who have lived for decades and know what is good for your family, NOT them.

They will have their chance to decide where they want to live and raise their families when they are older. This is an ADULT decision, not one for children. I think it's laughable to hear an ADULT asking how she can convince her KIDS to move. Um...who's running your household? They shouldn't have a choice...they're kids, for goodness sakes! I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a sit-down and explain to them that you and your husband have made a decision to move because you and he both know that your family will have a better life in NC/SC. You could even explain all of the details of your decision and what will change for your family, and you can listen to your children's concerns. But, when it comes to making the actual decision, YOU AND YOU HUSBAND should be the ones making it...NOT ALL OF YOU.

You know what's good for your family, whether it's having a better quality of life, a larger home, a nicer car, a better school, more family vacations, less traffic, nicer weather, etc. Your kids may not understand that now, but, honestly, it's not a decision for them to make. YOU are the parents. In my opinion, parents should make the family's adult decisions (like moving) and until kids are old enough to leave home for college or work, afford a mortgage of their own, get married, and have their own children, they shouldn't be given too much power in decisions such as the size and location of the home that their PARENTS will be working to pay for.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:25 PM

77 posts, read 364,917 times
Take them to Village Pizza, at the intersection of Route 160 and Gold Hill Rd. They have a great pizza/salad/pasta buffet that is under $7/person and it is really good. Lots of families, nice place. If they like birds, there is a really cool store nearly right next door that has amazing bird houses.

Being a father myself, I think you and your hubby have to make the decision, period. Be parents who are leaders. Even if they go kicking and screaming initially, they will love it eventually. Kids are adaptable. Be positive about the move. Good luck, I will pray your visit goes well

Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Um...how about you and your husband make the major decisions in your family (such as moving, home purchasing, etc), and your kids can learn to adjust to it and live with it like most other families in America? You're the adults, NOT them. You're the ones who work and pay the bills, NOT them. You're the ones who have lived for decades and know what is good for your family, NOT them.

They will have their chance to decide where they want to live and raise their families when they are older. This is an ADULT decision, not one for children. I think it's laughable to hear an ADULT asking how she can convince her KIDS to move. Um...who's running your household? They shouldn't have a choice...they're kids, for goodness sakes! I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a sit-down and explain to them that you and your husband have made a decision to move because you and he both know that your family will have a better life in NC/SC. You could even explain all of the details of your decision and what will change for your family, and you can listen to your children's concerns. But, when it comes to making the actual decision, YOU AND YOU HUSBAND should be the ones making it...NOT ALL OF YOU.

You know what's good for your family, whether it's having a better quality of life, a larger home, a nicer car, a better school, more family vacations, less traffic, nicer weather, etc. Your kids may not understand that now, but, honestly, it's not a decision for them to make. YOU are the parents. In my opinion, parents should make the family's adult decisions (like moving) and until kids are old enough to leave home for college or work, afford a mortgage of their own, get married, and have their own children, they shouldn't be given too much power in decisions such as the size and location of the home that their PARENTS will be working to pay for.

WHOA!! What does any of that have to do with the posters question? I think you are being a bit harsh with our original poster. She never said her kids are getting to make this decision. This is what she said: "they REFUSE to even open their mind to the possibility that they could be happier in Fort Mill than in NY". She didn't say they are refusing to go or anything. She never even said she was going to let their opinions change her plans. She only said her kids are having a hard time believing they could be as happy anywhere as they are now. She is simply trying to find ways to make the transition more appealing to them. What's up with the overreaction?

Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 PM

7,929 posts, read 17,766,482 times
Very Well said Loves

Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 AM

86 posts, read 345,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post

Sorry AOYAs, that's not how my household works. If my kids are 100% against moving, I will not do it, my husband and I will find a way to make it work up here. It's not as though my husband is being transferred and we have no choice.

My children don't want to move because they have great friends and are doing great in school here - not because they are being spoiled brats - so I need to respect that, and not disregard it. And as far as the ADULTS knowing what's best - we THINK we know what's best, but I do not have a crystal ball, so I do not KNOW what is best.

Sorry, you may disagree, but I think my children are old enough to contribute to family decisions. And I believe forcing them to do something (as huge as relocating)they don't want to do at their age is just giving them an excuse to act out - they are in middle school, remember, not elementary.

And anyway, I think you misread the intent of my post, which was, on their initial visit, to look for ways to show them all the great things Fort Mill has to offer so they will not feel that they are giving EVERYTHING up they have up north to come down here, without getting some wonderful things in return.

PS - I don't make my kids eat broccoli either
rscap

Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 AM

478 posts, read 1,879,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscap View Post
Sorry, you may disagree, but I think my children are old enough to contribute to family decisions. And I believe forcing them to do something (as huge as relocating)they don't want to do at their age is just giving them an excuse to act out - they are in middle school, remember, not elementary.
I think you're absolutely spot on in your approach to a possible relocation.

As far as the posters who said to simply make the rules for the family, read any human behaviour research into how motivated people are when they are simply told what to do, compared with inviting them for their input in the decision? Makes all the difference in the world.

Check out Stephen Covey's work with families...inviting ALL members of a family for their input and making a *family* decision about big (like moving state!) and small things.

Children do not get enough credit for their wonderfully brilliant, creative minds and they can see pros and cons we sometimes cannot. Better to be in a family where each individual is respected and invited to be part of the decision, not simply ordered around 'for their own good'.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:00 AM

86 posts, read 345,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
WHOA!! What does any of that have to do with the posters question? I think you are being a bit harsh with our original poster. She never said her kids are getting to make this decision. This is what she said: "they REFUSE to even open their mind to the possibility that they could be happier in Fort Mill than in NY". She didn't say they are refusing to go or anything. She never even said she was going to let their opinions change her plans. She only said her kids are having a hard time believing they could be as happy anywhere as they are now. She is simply trying to find ways to make the transition more appealing to them. What's up with the overreaction?
Thanks Loves, I didn't read your response prior to posting mine...well said. And by the way, thanks to the posters above who really DID answer my question pretty perfectly about taking the kids to the Y and the parks where all the kids should be hanging around - that was exactly the advice I was looking for, not advice on how to manage my household and raise my children...to each his own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or