U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 AM

86 posts, read 345,147 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have a 5th grade girl and a 6th grade boy that REFUSE to even open their mind to the possibility that they could be happier in Fort Mill than in NY (where I currently live). I've tried the argument "we could then afford to go on vacations, and I could drive a nicer car, and mommy can stay home all day and clean your rooms.." They didn't buy it.

We are looking at Baxter or Tega, though DH likes the acreage of Olde Williamsburg. Anyway....anyone have children of similar ages that can share their experiences relocating to Fort Mill? Anything directly from the mouths of babes is encouraged - I plan on printing this out and sharing it with my children.

We are going down as a family next week, I'd love to know what to show them to really draw them in...

Oh, and part 2 of this post - we're visiting next Weds - Sunday (Easter Weekend). I know church is very big down there compared to where I am now. Does everything shut down for Good Friday and Easter? I'm afraid we'll take the trip and everything will seem desolate because it's Easter Weekend (and the beginning of a school holiday). That certainly WOULD NOT HELP my cause!!

thanks everyone, you've all been so helpful so far, sorry for the long post!
rscap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 12:50 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,546,710 times
It is pretty quiet here Easter weekend, but we go to Carowinds on Easter Sunday

Old 03-27-2007, 01:09 PM

348 posts, read 317,828 times
See if the Children's Discovery museum is open in uptown that weekend. I would imagine it would be. Absolutely Carowinds--great theme park, as stated above.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:12 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times
umm we cant wait!!!!!!!!....RC we are relocating to Union County NC but our son is in 6th grade and cant wait to move...he is nervous about it and now having a little anxiety HOWEVER we basically was open with him about our situation and all he and his sister could have by doing this move, and a better quality of Life for when the grow up OH and u can throw IN THE GIRLS ARE PRETTY...LOL....so my son says....anyway, You just need to get them involved with the process and once u are down there visiting ask them for their opinion on homes and area....it always helps when u also find other people in the developments u are looking at are from the same place your coming from...also go onto the SC site and do a post there, you can do like a SHOUT OUT to NYkers that live in Ft Mill Area and get their opinions..Good Luck to you and your family...MY SON IS now counting down the days until the MOVE....

Staci

Old 03-27-2007, 05:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Treat your kids to a day at Carowinds it just up the road in fort mill. If you are moving this year I would go ahead and get a season pass it pays for itself after 2 trips to the park.

Discovery is open 9-5 mon - fri sat 10-6 and closed easter sunday A great place to go during the week. Discovery is great it has simulator of the space station, Rain Forest, A weather center where you can act like a weatherman or touch a simulated tornado. Has a aquarium and Imax theatre and numerous of fun science projects.

When you move here I would take them to ImaginOn is a brand new building mixture of children theater and library.

One of the great things about living in this area is your only 4 hours to the beach and 2 hours to the mountains.

Alot of NYkers are in this area so making friends with fellow nyker's should be easy. You guys are welcome here and this is coming from a carolina native

Old 03-27-2007, 05:06 PM

why didnt I look in Ft Mill??? LOL

Old 03-28-2007, 06:18 AM

86 posts, read 345,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
OH and u can throw IN THE GIRLS ARE PRETTY...LOL....so my son says....anyway, You just need to get them involved with the process and once u are down there visiting ask them for their opinion on homes and area....it always helps when u also find other people in the developments u are looking at are from the same place your coming from...also go onto the SC site and do a post there, you can do like a SHOUT OUT to NYkers that live in Ft Mill Area and get their opinions..Good Luck to you and your family...MY SON IS now counting down the days until the MOVE....

Staci
Love the "GIRLS ARE PRETTY" approach!! I think you must know my son! LOL.
My daughter is a different story though...She's very outgoing, but she has so many close friends already up North. We are definately going to involve them in the house selection (size DOES matter when it comes to their bedroom LOL). And doing a shout out to NY'ers is a great idea.

My daughter's friend is taking the trip with us, so maybe that will help, she'll love the neighborhood too and then beg HER MOM to move (wishful thinking)!! Thanks everyone!!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 AM

RC your so funny...My daughter too is very outgoing compared to my son....she makes friends easily but she has mixed feelings but yet excited...

Well pls let us know what and where u decided...

Good Luck to you

Old 03-28-2007, 06:42 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,340,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscap View Post
Love the "GIRLS ARE PRETTY" approach!! I think you must know my son! LOL.
My daughter is a different story though...She's very outgoing, but she has so many close friends already up North. We are definately going to involve them in the house selection (size DOES matter when it comes to their bedroom LOL). And doing a shout out to NY'ers is a great idea.

My daughter's friend is taking the trip with us, so maybe that will help, she'll love the neighborhood too and then beg HER MOM to move (wishful thinking)!! Thanks everyone!!
You might also check out the post you started on the SC side as well.

Best of luck to you!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 AM

116 posts, read 441,720 times
You probably dont have to to say anything. Once they get there they will see for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or