Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times

Advertisements

I hope so. Moved down here with my MS in Biotechnology.

Check out the NCBC website for good beginer info. plus local charlotte biotech events

Biotechnology for Beginners - North Carolina Biotechnology Center (http://www.ncbiotech.org/resource_center/for_beginners.html - broken link)

Events - North Carolina Biotechnology Center (http://www.ncbiotech.org/news_and_events/events/calendar.php?mode=cat&cat_id=3 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
All of this is great news, but I wouldn't go so far to say that this industry alone represents the "future" of Charlotte. This city's future is in a diversified local economy, period. Charlotte will probably never have biotech or defense technology play as big of a role in the local economy as in Raleigh or Charleston, but any industry that doesn't have anything to do with finance or banking is definitely welcome here.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 15,492 times
Thumbs down Kannapolis is limited

I am sorry to report that neither of the General Dynamics contracts mentioned have much to do with the type of work as described for the new research campus. Just beacuse it has the word biology, does not mean that its the correct branch of that science.

As a Senior IT engineer working for the defense dept in the area of biometrics and biotechnology standards, I am well aware of the new technologies, and the new wave seems to be passing Kannapolis by. There are NO positions listed in any area of bio-technology. The website for the Kannapolis campus is absent any job search, and the UNC branch that is supposed to be managing the development of the research campus has nothing posted.

So far, the only jobs associated with the campus are in the building trades and menial tasks. Nothing appears on any job search Iv'e found and friends I have in Kannapolis are not aware of anything available.

Mr Murdock needs to take a close look at what needs to be done to get the ball rolling. The Defense Dept is one of the leading USERS of bio-technology and usually awards these to companies with a track record. Where are these major companies? Kannapolis is absent any major defense contractor. Kannapolis is absent ANY bio-tech engineering company.

Someone will need to wake up one day and get a dose of reality.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak28031 View Post
I am sorry to report that neither of the General Dynamics contracts mentioned have much to do with the type of work as described for the new research campus. Just beacuse it has the word biology, does not mean that its the correct branch of that science.

As a Senior IT engineer working for the defense dept in the area of biometrics and biotechnology standards, I am well aware of the new technologies, and the new wave seems to be passing Kannapolis by. There are NO positions listed in any area of bio-technology. The website for the Kannapolis campus is absent any job search, and the UNC branch that is supposed to be managing the development of the research campus has nothing posted.

So far, the only jobs associated with the campus are in the building trades and menial tasks. Nothing appears on any job search Iv'e found and friends I have in Kannapolis are not aware of anything available.

Mr Murdock needs to take a close look at what needs to be done to get the ball rolling. The Defense Dept is one of the leading USERS of bio-technology and usually awards these to companies with a track record. Where are these major companies? Kannapolis is absent any major defense contractor. Kannapolis is absent ANY bio-tech engineering company.

NO where in my original post did it state that bio defense was going to be part of the bio campus it just simply stating that there are new relative sectors to this area to bring employment to this area.

Bio campus in primarily focusing on health, nutrition, and wellness and not defense currently. So you may see them as menial jobs it is JOBS and better paying jobs than the manufacturing jobs that use to lurk the area.
None of the posts are referring to what the area have nots but what will bring better future for the area and the people who reside here.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:28 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak28031 View Post

And Im afraid that person may be you.

1. There are no jobs posted for Kannapolis because the buildings are still under construction. Even the universities which are the main tenets are still trying to find their primary researchers for the labs. It will then be up to them to hire everyone else. This is still 6-12 months away.

2. UNC has nothing to do with "managing the development of the research campus". This task is being handled by Castle and Cook which is a private company owned by Mr. Murdock.

3. The primary focus of the research campus is on nutrition, mainly with fruits and vegetables. This is very different from defense research and it is doubtful that the campus will allow in any companies that do not share the same vision as them.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:33 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Here's a website I'm subscribed to. I am currently working so I have not checked out the openings, but this is in healthcare, including biotech.

Healthcare Jobs - Physician, Nursing Jobs, more. Great Careers!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:13 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
Interesting article in today's Salisbury post regarding a new tenant at the Kannapolis Research Campus:

Trouble with the lnk, If you click on the Salisbury post web site it's the lead story.

I recommend it, it's a good read.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Interesting article in today's Salisbury post regarding a new tenant at the Kannapolis Research Campus:

Trouble with the lnk, If you click on the Salisbury post web site it's the lead story.

I recommend it, it's a good read.
thanks for the post. Maybe this link to the story you reference will work.
SalisburyPost.com - Area - Drug researcher will bring up to 300 jobs to N.C. Research Campus

Old 04-10-2008, 11:33 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
Thank you Sunny, Rep points for you.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
That's good for the reserach park, but those are hight tech jobs when previously everyone around there were textile workers. It's good for the local economy, but most of those jobs will be filled by people not from that area. I would open an overpriced business style lunch place near the researc campus if I lived near there and had the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte