U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,228,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
An excellent article on the current economic situation, both here and globally, written by the former head of the IMF. I believe it provides a rather sobering view of how we arrived in our current predicament and what the future may hold. The article is long, but edifying and well worth the read.

The Quiet Coup - The Atlantic (May 2009)

Comments?
Very interesting article, that guy has some very good ideas, which will unfortunately probably not be followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM

12,308 posts, read 9,624,153 times
Certain products I haven't even seen made in the US:

toys
most clothing and bedding - sure you can get some in boutiques but I don't know anyone who can afford to shop there
tvs, vcrs, dvd players, cd players, etc - most of those items were farmed out long long ago

Even my GM car wasn't made in America! It was made in Canada so I don't feel so bad. I would have been p*$$ed if it was made in Mexico or overseas. There's probably parts in it that weren't made here though.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:53 PM

210 posts, read 428,904 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Certain products I haven't even seen made in the US:

toys
most clothing and bedding - sure you can get some in boutiques but I don't know anyone who can afford to shop there
tvs, vcrs, dvd players, cd players, etc - most of those items were farmed out long long ago

Even my GM car wasn't made in America! It was made in Canada so I don't feel so bad. I would have been p*$$ed if it was made in Mexico or overseas. There's probably parts in it that weren't made here though.
If you make clothes for dolls or children, the gov't is now making laws that everything has to be tested for lead first. This puts the small craftsperson out of business if they only make a few items and want to sell them to the public.

I can no longer make a living by designing and making clothes for sale. People won't pay much for clothes, and the cost of living has skyrocketed since the early 80's when I tried to start my own business.

I used to make all my clothes, and luckily have enough fabric to make more. Many of the private fabric shops have closed, because clothing can be bought cheaply. Not many people care about quality anymore. No one can tell I make my clothes, except when someone notices that I am wearing something unusual that cannot be found in stores. When I make a tee shirt, it may cost more than one from wally world, but at least I can wear it for 5 to 10 years and it will still look great!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 PM

7,041 posts, read 12,628,636 times
Few articles that I came across:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/op...gman.html?_r=1

Stimulus jobs coming to Oklahoma roads - CNN.com

Old 04-03-2009, 07:15 PM

7,041 posts, read 12,628,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll Kitty Lover View Post
If you make clothes for dolls or children, the gov't is now making laws that everything has to be tested for lead first. This puts the small craftsperson out of business if they only make a few items and want to sell them to the public.

I can no longer make a living by designing and making clothes for sale. People won't pay much for clothes, and the cost of living has skyrocketed since the early 80's when I tried to start my own business.

I used to make all my clothes, and luckily have enough fabric to make more. Many of the private fabric shops have closed, because clothing can be bought cheaply. Not many people care about quality anymore. No one can tell I make my clothes, except when someone notices that I am wearing something unusual that cannot be found in stores. When I make a tee shirt, it may cost more than one from wally world, but at least I can wear it for 5 to 10 years and it will still look great!
Most people don't want to wear their clothes for more than a few months; maybe a season...and that is it. I have t-shirts from Sam's club that are more than 5 years old and cost less than $4.00 apiece.

I know that your craft is eroding and people do not appreciate it anymore. But, in this era of "want it NOW", nobody wants to wait for anything. And, I am like that. I rarely shop for clothes, but, if I do, I want the cheapest possible item that will still look decent as quickly as possible. That lends to imports. And, that is the fact of life.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 PM

35,886 posts, read 64,087,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
An excellent article on the current economic situation, both here and globally, written by the former head of the IMF. I believe it provides a rather sobering view of how we arrived in our current predicament and what the future may hold. The article is long, but edifying and well worth the read.

The Quiet Coup - The Atlantic (May 2009)

Comments?
This is one of the most enlightening articles I have read in re: to the economic debacle we find ourselves in at this point in time. I really appreciate your sharing it. Gonna print it off for my Dad. A superb read.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 PM

35,886 posts, read 64,087,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll Kitty Lover View Post

This breaks my heart. I started sewing at 10! Haven't sewn much at all in the last 15 years. Used to really enjoy coming up w/ creative designs for my own wardrobe. Quality means everything to me. I buy expensive clothes but only on mark-down. Dress-maker details mean a lot to me.

I believe your talent is going to shortly be in demand. I think people are going to turn to sewing to repair clothing and to extend their wardrobes. I have been seeking out vintage patterns as I have been in the mood to start sewing again. I can't seem to find the patterns I want. Has that side of the industry diminished, also?

I also think people are going to start seeking out quality. When we are on strict budgets, decisions about clothing and investing in clothing come to the forefront. I think people are going to be seeking out quality, long-lasting fashions for themselves AND their kids. It used to be mom would make a beautiful dress for one daughter and the younger daughter or cousin would beg to get the dress after the owner outgrew it. I can see those days coming again.

That is troubling to hear that fabrics are no longer available as in the past. I used to really enjoy planning out clothing, from pattern, to fabric to notions. How disappointing to find that the selections are no longer out there.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 AM

210 posts, read 428,904 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This breaks my heart. I started sewing at 10! Haven't sewn much at all in the last 15 years. Used to really enjoy coming up w/ creative designs for my own wardrobe. Quality means everything to me. I buy expensive clothes but only on mark-down. Dress-maker details mean a lot to me.

I believe your talent is going to shortly be in demand. I think people are going to turn to sewing to repair clothing and to extend their wardrobes. I have been seeking out vintage patterns as I have been in the mood to start sewing again. I can't seem to find the patterns I want. Has that side of the industry diminished, also?

I also think people are going to start seeking out quality. When we are on strict budgets, decisions about clothing and investing in clothing come to the forefront. I think people are going to be seeking out quality, long-lasting fashions for themselves AND their kids. It used to be mom would make a beautiful dress for one daughter and the younger daughter or cousin would beg to get the dress after the owner outgrew it. I can see those days coming again.

That is troubling to hear that fabrics are no longer available as in the past. I used to really enjoy planning out clothing, from pattern, to fabric to notions. How disappointing to find that the selections are no longer out there.
This answer may actually belong under the thread you started about starting small business, but here goes.

I started sewing doll clothes with my Grandmother at age 6. My mother let me use the machine at around 10, and then I taught her how to make buttonholes! I graduated from UMass Amherst with a BS in Home Ec Ed, and a concentration in Textiles and Clothing. My Masters degree includes graduate studies in Apparel, Creative Arts, and Education. In Massachusetts, there is no Graduate degree available in Textiles and Clothing. In North Carolina, I would have been all set with a PHD by now. This state has some great colleges.

After I couldn't support myself with my one business in Design and Dressmaking, I added more part-time jobs to my repertoire. I taught Fashion Design and Apparel at 2 colleges for a total of 16 years. During this time I also taught people how to create their own designs and patterns in several area fabric stores. Gradually, I worked up to a 60 hour fun-filled week that never seemed like work, but I made good money. The worst problem with working your own business like this is ----HEALTH INSURANCE! 60 hours a week, but no 40 hour "full-time" position, so I was punished by having to pay very high insurance premiums. Once I got married, I went on DH's health insurance, but I have always been upset by this very unfair system.

In 2000, I decided to work in the industry for which I was preparing my students. I obtained a position with a clothing production company, and I have spent the last 9 years as a Technical Designer, taking the designer's or buyer's basic picture, writing instructions and notions lists along with simplifying the pictures so a pattern maker can understand what needs to be done. The pattern goes to the vendor, then I fit the sample garment on a human body and then a form. Once approved, the vendor can then go forward with the proto and get into production.

While doing this, the home sewing industry was changing. More people went into quilting, which does not require fitting. As you noted, the pattern industry has shrunk down. 3 name brands are actually owned by 1 company, but there are also entrepreneurs out there making their own patterns. Lately, women have turned to dolls to satisfy their need for having beautiful well-made clothes, because there is so little out there that is truly creative and feminine. We all tend to wear "comfort" clothes that don't really express personality well.

The way that Fabric Stores are finding to stay in business is by changing to Quilting shops or selling on the internet. That is the way most of them will be able to grow and survive. Then of course there is my incredible stash of fabrics that will take me well into my extreme old age, and then it will be left to my niece, who also sews. If you are interested in more information, I'll add a few more thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte