Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
We've seen an uptick in new orders the last few weeks.
I ran capacity (for the number of staff) the last two weeks!

Question is, will it remain?
Good point. I honestly believe that this has been a domino-effect that we have experienced . . . businesses suddenly were w/o their lines of credit, so the whole manufacturing and commerce system came to a sudden halt. If credit lines are loosening up (and I have heard some voices saying they have loosened somewhat) . . . then I think this is the beginning of a recovery, rather than a temporary blip upward.

I sure hope so, anyway!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default Lowes and Home Depot were packed this weekend

So I think things will turn soon.

I noticed a lot more people eating out as well.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I did notice the stock market tick upward! Haven't checked today
Better check again on the market today. It plummetted again.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I was going to say the day's not over! But then I saw how much it dropped. That would be tough to make up this late in the day. The joys of the suffering auto industry.

One good note: the price of oil dropped! That's good for us who have to drive.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Oh no! Well, maybe an over-adjusted in response to auto industry, as SS said. Seems every little thing makes people dump stocks these days. Everyone needs to just take a chill pill.

Thirty minutes to see if there is a rebound . . .

I am thinking the market will be UP at the end of the week - up as compared to high for first quarter of 2009. Sounds crazy, I know . . . but I think the market has already hit the bottom. There will be dips when people get anxious over current news/events but I think the DJIA will be 1000 points higher by June or at least by end of 3rd Q. If I had money to bet on it, I would! LOL!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh no! Well, maybe an over-adjusted in response to auto industry, as SS said. Seems every little thing makes people dump stocks these days. Everyone needs to just take a chill pill.

Thirty minutes to see if there is a rebound . . .

I am thinking the market will be UP at the end of the week - up as compared to high for first quarter of 2009. Sounds crazy, I know . . . but I think the market has already hit the bottom. There will be dips when people get anxious over current news/events but I think the DJIA will be 1000 points higher by June or at least by end of 3rd Q. If I had money to bet on it, I would! LOL!!!
Can you be on the evening news? You're the most optimistic person I've heard! I'm tired of hearing how the world is falling apart every day. It gets old and people start believing it after they hear it for months on end 10 times a day. It's really annoying.

Why can't they find some silver lining about something? I don't care if they saw the first robin this spring. Just as long as it's something positive for once!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM

509 posts, read 1,802,577 times
I don't see it (yet). All I see are lawsuit after lawsuit for money owed, breach of contract (one party can't perform because of economic circumstances), and the like... much more of this than in previous years. When that type of litigation starts tapering off, I will be a bit more optimistic.

But I AM hopeful that things will turn around.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Wow, I have so many thoughts about this. My mind alot of times goes from "just maybe, things will start to stabilize" to "I don't see the end in sight"......

Honestly, I'm watching the housing market first and foremost because IMO all of our problems will start and end there. I'm not just watching NC, I'm watching the U.S......If sales continue to increase in parts of AZ, CA, & FL, that's where things need to improve 1st before the rest of the country follows (ie NY/NJ will follow these areas eventually).

Those areas (Southwest & FL) mainly have buyers buying foreclosures and short sales, and a good portion of those buyers are investors (not as much 1st time home buyers)...

The northeast sales trends are still in the toilet, so that really doesn't give me a great deal of hope that things will improve here (in terms of residential) in the short term.

The problem of qualified buyers, fear of being fired, & too much inventory is really a national problem. Its "good" in a wierd way that building has slowed down here so that current inventory can shrink somewhat.....

I try to have an open mind about this, but I can't hide the fact that I think things will get much much worse here before they get better, just because I don't see any positive indicators with "TEETH" if you know what I mean..people will always have their feel good stories, but where are the heavy hitters that are going to replace all the bankers who have been and the bunch that will be let go? As much as we hate to admit it, the reason why our unemployment shot up so much is because a huge chunk of our employment is from bankers and construction.......go ahead, everyone make the comments I'm just doom and gloom...... sorry I'm all over the map w/my comments, but just my honest .02

Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

The northeast sales trends are still in the toilet, so that really doesn't give me a great deal of hope that things will improve here (in terms of residential) in the short term.
I live in the Northeast and sales in my area are not in the toilet. In the Albany, NY area sales are doing ok. They're not as high as they were, but our prices are fairly stable. We do NOT have the foreclosure issue that many areas have. Yes, there are a few, but not hundreds or thousands. Currently, there are none in my city.

Also, things in the Northeast tend to be several months up to two years behind the rest of the country. We never had those HUGE price increases so our market didn't drop like a rock.

I've lived in my house for 8 years and it's gained about $60K in value. It cost $132K when we bought it. It's the largest and newest house on the street. I live in the best part of the city and values up here are much higher than the rest of the city.

I could go 1.5 miles up the road and buy the exact same house for about $100K more than mine is worth. Why? Different zip code and it's in a different town not a city. The taxes on that house are lower than mine as well.

So every thing is all relative to it's immediate surroundings.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I live in the Northeast and sales in my area are not in the toilet. In the Albany, NY area sales are doing ok. .
I'm talking about the meat of the northeast. Lower Hudson Valley, Long Island, Eastern PA, Northern and Central NJ (Anything close to the tri-state area)

That area had a huge affect on the residential construction down here. When their numbers went into the toilet (and they still are), Charlotte suffered....they havent' gotten out of their hole yet.

That's what I meant, so please understand that Albany might have done Ok, but it really didn't affect Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte