U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM

5,148 posts, read 6,361,008 times

Advertisements

Well "something" is in the air! Wait, I just went out and sprayed weed killer on the lawn! Ahh! The smell of Ortho in the morning! I see less weeds this summer! Some things don't change - I found two Black Widow Spiders near my back door. Raid took care of them - now, there must be two Black Widowers!

I'm waiting for more change... perhaps a new version of "King Kong" where he climbs the BoA building and throws Ken Lewis and the rest of his "overpaid cronies" off the top, and all of the "little people" who work there.... live happily ever after!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,358,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Can you be on the evening news? You're the most optimistic person I've heard! I'm tired of hearing how the world is falling apart every day. It gets old and people start believing it after they hear it for months on end 10 times a day. It's really annoying.

Why can't they find some silver lining about something? I don't care if they saw the first robin this spring. Just as long as it's something positive for once!
LOL! Thanx for the vote of confidence, SS.

I think it is an easy trap to get into - w/ the "doom and gloom" pundits all around us. And of course, any time we (or friends/family) are out of work, that brings it all very close and we feel the anxiety on a much more personal level.

Here in CLT, w/ so many having been laid off, I think most of us are kind of shell shocked. However, I am hearing of people finding jobs, especially my friends who have been out of work for six months or longer. So I do think things are going to start picking up w/ employment.

Now, certain industries have been hit harder than others in our region. It has become evident to me that for many of those out of work, they are going to have to look for work elsewhere - most likely in other states. I know how that feels, too - having gone through it.

However, it IS a job, even if one has to move or make short term living arrangement changes.

Sometimes, we do have to take steps backwards and redirect - b/f we can move forward.

Heaven knows, my DH and I have had to do this several times. I am glad to report, even w/ work situations such as being apart 1000 miles for over a year . . . and then at other times, being apart for weeks at time . . . we survived it all and in the end, those were small blips on the radar screen of life, Hee Hee. It feels so overwhelming when you are in the middle of these difficult work situations (long distance relationships, low paying jobs, etc). But when you look back, the only thing you remember is: We got through it intact and then life moved on. There are gonna be losses, but the main thing is how we process that internally. Easier said than done . . . but it can be done.

We are all gonna make it. Good times eventually do come!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'm talking about the meat of the northeast. Lower Hudson Valley, Long Island, Eastern PA, Northern and Central NJ (Anything close to the tri-state area)

That area had a huge affect on the residential construction down here. When their numbers went into the toilet (and they still are), Charlotte suffered....they havent' gotten out of their hole yet.

That's what I meant, so please understand that Albany might have done Ok, but it really didn't affect Charlotte.
My point is that you can't say the Northeast. The info you posted is not true about the entire Northeast. You should specify the NYC/Jersey area. The Northeast goes up to Canada and is nothing at all like NYC/Jersey. And it's down right insulting to be labeled with them. I don't think you meant it that way at all.

And there are tons of people from Upstate NY that have moved to NC. They're just not the type of as folks from NYC and Jersey. Those are a total different breed of people. Not my cup of tea either.

It's funny when I travel and people find out I'm from NY. They always assume NYC. I don't have a city accent either. Then again, they also believe incorrectly that NYC is the state capitol. People also assume that I spend a great deal of time in NYC. YIKES! God no! I've been there like 6 times in my life and that's too many times! I'd rather be in Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta. None of those cities suck the life out of me when visiting. NYC is soooo stressful. I can't take it.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well "something" is in the air! Wait, I just went out and sprayed weed killer on the lawn! Ahh! The smell of Ortho in the morning! I see less weeds this summer! Some things don't change - I found two Black Widow Spiders near my back door. Raid took care of them - now, there must be two Black Widowers!

I'm waiting for more change... perhaps a new version of "King Kong" where he climbs the BoA building and throws Ken Lewis and the rest of his "overpaid cronies" off the top, and all of the "little people" who work there.... live happily ever after!
LOL at the whole thing!

And don't send me your widowers! YIKES!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM

9,113 posts, read 15,318,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
My point is that you can't say the Northeast. The info you posted is not true about the entire Northeast. You should specify the NYC/Jersey area. .
Point taken, I would understand if I was up your way or near Buffalo/Rochester....you get treated like the red headed stepchild alot.....

Sorry. I won't paint the entire NE w/a broad brush next time.....

Old 03-30-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Heaven knows, my DH and I have had to do this several times. I am glad to report, even w/ work situations such as being apart 1000 miles for over a year . . . and then at other times, being apart for weeks at time . . . we survived it all and in the end, those were small blips on the radar screen of life, Hee Hee. It feels so overwhelming when you are in the middle of these difficult work situations (long distance relationships, low paying jobs, etc). But when you look back, the only thing you remember is: We got through it intact and then life moved on. There are gonna be losses, but the main thing is how we process that internally. Easier said than done . . . but it can be done.

We are all gonna make it. Good times eventually do come!!!
My hubby travels like mad for his job. He's about to start a stint where he'll be in San Francisco for 6 months. That's over 3,000 miles away. I won't see him much, but at least he has a job making good money.

We're hoping the economy starts to pick up by the autumn and is rebounding in the Spring 2010 so we can finally move! We were supposed to move last October, but the economy was not good so we decided to stay put. It wasn't worth the risk of not being able to sell our house here. It's much easier to sell a house here int eh spring/summer than autumn. And hardly anyone buys a house in the winter here. Who'd want to move in the middle of the dreadful snow we get?

Once we move and get settled, he's thinking about looking for a new job that requires less travel. He works from home when not traveling so he'd have some time at some point to look. No point looking when you already have a job and the economy is the way it is.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Point taken, I would understand if I was up your way or near Buffalo/Rochester....you get treated like the red headed stepchild alot.....

Sorry. I won't paint the entire NE w/a broad brush next time.....
No worries! Pretty much anything outside of NYC is the red-headed step child of the state! Which is just bizarre since the capitol is in Albany! LOL

Being labeled as a NYC person is just as insulting as bad mouthing NC BBQ. I am not at all like them! I can't stand dealing with people form there so I have to laugh when I read on the forums about the transplants and their attitudes. The reputation proceeds them. I'm sure there are some people who aren't like that in NYC, but I've never meet any. I'm thinking they would be people who are new to the city.

You can tell I don't belong here....I say thank you when someone holds open a door for me not that it happens often! And I hold the door open for people behind me and people who are older and let them in before I leave.

Oh you'll love this one! When driving in NC, I can spot a NYer/NJer from a mile a way. I'm like man we can't drive!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 PM

206 posts, read 445,075 times
[quote=ss20ts;8112002]My point is that you can't say the Northeast. The info you posted is not true about the entire Northeast. You should specify the NYC/Jersey area. The Northeast goes up to Canada and is nothing at all like NYC/Jersey. And it's down right insulting to be labeled with them. I don't think you meant it that way at all.

And there are tons of people from Upstate NY that have moved to NC. They're just not the type of as folks from NYC and Jersey. Those are a total different breed of people. Not my cup of tea either.

It's funny when I travel and people find out I'm from NY. They always assume NYC. I don't have a city accent either. Then again, they also believe incorrectly that NYC is the state capitol. People also assume that I spend a great deal of time in NYC. YIKES! God no! I've been there like 6 times in my life and that's too many times! I'd rather be in Raleigh, Charlotte, or Atlanta. None of those cities suck the life out of me when visiting. NYC is soooo stressful. I can't take it.[/QUOTE

Ouch

Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,358,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post

Ohhhhhhh, no no no.

Black widows are called such b/c they KILL whatever male mates with them! Cheery thought, eh?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ohhhhhhh, no no no.

Black widows are called such b/c they KILL whatever male mates with them! Cheery thought, eh?
Wow....that's great news! LOL Once again, keep your little pets! LOL I don't want them!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte