Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wow....that's great news! LOL Once again, keep your little pets! LOL I don't want them!!!!
LOL!!!

Yes, we do have some critters here in NC that one must keep a watch out for, but luckily . . . the snakes and spiders don't usually like us any more than we like them.

EM has been here long enuff now that he knows - might as well be on the lookout and fumigate the little boogers and go on . . .

It is Spring - a time of renewal. Maybe my good spirits are simply b/c of the time of year. But I am thinking I see signs of the indomitable American spirit out there - refusing to succumb to an economic downturn thrust upon us b/c of the mismanagement of others. There is just no way to over-estimate what it means to be American. As a group, we are innovative and TOUGH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 PM

15 posts, read 33,437 times
With unemployment rates soaring in Charlotte I just don't understand why so many people from NY, PA, IL, OH, MI, and the like keep moving here. I had at least a hundred recent transplants apply for a position I was hiring for earlier this year. Few of them had jobs and I just couldn't help but wonder why they came here. Is the internet not covered with lists of top cities for job growth? Charlotte isn't even in the top 20...and probably won't be for some time.

I prefer the NYC/Jersey variety of NYer's personally - they seem more friendly or at least willing to make eye contact as compared to people from Western NY, PA, and Ohio. I know people find NYCer's abrasive sometimes, but they will at least acknowledge someone letting them into traffic or holding a door...

Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Campbell View Post
I prefer the Jersey variety of NYer's personally - they seem more friendly or at least willing to make eye contact

I just thought this needed to be preserved.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I just thought this needed to be preserved.
Now . . . no reason why you would want that underlined, is it, Brian? HEE HEE. I gotta agree . . . I find NJ newcomers to fit in well here, be open to friendship and discovering what the area has to offer and less apt to be so disagreeable when things here are NOT what they expected. I think New Jersey natives grew up being dissed by NYC'ers, LOL, so they intuitively understand why Southerners are kinda prickly about anyone from the NE.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
No worries! Pretty much anything outside of NYC is the red-headed step child of the state! Which is just bizarre since the capitol is in Albany! LOL

Being labeled as a NYC person is just as insulting as bad mouthing NC BBQ. I am not at all like them! I can't stand dealing with people form there so I have to laugh when I read on the forums about the transplants and their attitudes. The reputation proceeds them. I'm sure there are some people who aren't like that in NYC, but I've never meet any. I'm thinking they would be people who are new to the city.

You can tell I don't belong here....I say thank you when someone holds open a door for me not that it happens often! And I hold the door open for people behind me and people who are older and let them in before I leave.

Oh you'll love this one! When driving in NC, I can spot a NYer/NJer from a mile a way. I'm like man we can't drive!
Somehow I think you have made your point about your hatred of New Yorkers and the NYC area.
Anything else you might add to the content of this post that had to do with__________________________________________??
Try to stay focused it might help you find peace.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default Change in air?

I have days when I feel change is in the air and then the very next day I see as "same old same old". What I don't feel is any consistent behavior in resturants, housing, retail, hotel occupancy and the rest.

For example: Go the airport this morning at 7:30am and it's packed.At some gates there wasn't enough seating. Plane is full. Later in the day restaurant is empty (O'Charley's University City). Didn't book a room ahead. Looked at the parking lot of Holiday Inn. Half dozen cars. Great price on a room and we'll throw in a breakfast credit good for up to $12.00.

A month ago I bid on some foreclosures and I lost all my bids. (as I continued to price them lower and lower. When I went back to my normal prices that I was bidding last Nov. and Dec. I can have all of
the houses. So what does this mean? I dunno. Maybe stabilization? Bottom?

Then the bummer of all bummers sent me into the toilet bowl when I read the news that our president can fire the head of a public company. Not to completely change subjects but this is the beginning of the end of our form of government. Do I see change in the air? Maybe, but it smells a little like passing a poultry plant or pig farm. And that's not a good thing.
JE

Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I have days when I feel change is in the air and then the very next day I see as "same old same old". What I don't feel is any consistent behavior in resturants, housing, retail, hotel occupancy and the rest.

For example: Go the airport this morning at 7:30am and it's packed.At some gates there wasn't enough seating. Plane is full. Later in the day restaurant is empty (O'Charley's University City). Didn't book a room ahead. Looked at the parking lot of Holiday Inn. Half dozen cars. Great price on a room and we'll throw in a breakfast credit good for up to $12.00.

A month ago I bid on some foreclosures and I lost all my bids. (as I continued to price them lower and lower. When I went back to my normal prices that I was bidding last Nov. and Dec. I can have all of
the houses. So what does this mean? I dunno. Maybe stabilization? Bottom?

Then the bummer of all bummers sent me into the toilet bowl when I read the news that our president can fire the head of a public company. Not to completely change subjects but this is the beginning of the end of our form of government. Do I see change in the air? Maybe, but it smells a little like passing a poultry plant or pig farm. And that's not a good thing.
JE
What you are describing, John, is what my hubby says he has been seeing. I read it as bottoming out, but like you, hubby says - not so sure!!!!

This whole thing w/ Obama - sends shivers down my spine. Since when could a Prez fire anyone but his staff or a General, LOL? That reminds me of Chavez. It is just weird. I assumed it wasn't TRUE. This is like a dictator. I know the guy is a thinly disguised Marxist and I am willing to "give him a chance" (but on the other hand - I have no choice, now do I?).

I kept thinking today that I would hear someone explain that this whole thing about Obama firing a corporate CEO was baloney. I never heard that. ????

I guess I am trying to ignore all the furor from the Obama camp. All the "stuff" he is doing - all the air time - honestly, it looks like some big ad campaign, not leadership. Only - ad campaign for WHAT?

I am thinking about the average guy out there - like you and me - who is used to investing in our system - and used to creating jobs, not working for someone else. I just think there are too many of us w/ too many good ideas and tenacity to let the other bastards get us down.

What you have relayed about bidding on houses, however, is perplexing. I am gonna think about that one for a while. Just not sure what that means.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:34 PM

172 posts, read 465,374 times
I hope things are going to turn around soon. I've been laid off going into the 6th month. Their business may not make it. I switched to working in our home business and we are slow but steady. We saved and lived frugally and can ride out the storm.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Somehow I think you have made your point about your hatred of New Yorkers and the NYC area.
Anything else you might add to the content of this post that had to do with__________________________________________??
Try to stay focused it might help you find peace.
I don't hate anyone and I never said I did.

Who got your pants in a bunch?

I have peace in my life.

And for the record I AM a New Yorker!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatol View Post
I hope things are going to turn around soon. I've been laid off going into the 6th month. Their business may not make it. I switched to working in our home business and we are slow but steady. We saved and lived frugally and can ride out the storm.
I sure hope you find a job soon, Zatol. I have several other friends who have been out of work that long and it is no fun. Have been there myself. Very scary even when you have faith.

Any chance you can move to another field? Skills you can use in a different type of business? Branching out can be a good thing, but also can be very difficult if that requires more certifications/degrees, etc.

Good luck . . . things are going to get better in a matter of months. Now, the question is . . . can businesses hold on til then? I do hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte