U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 PM

5,975 posts, read 16,973,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL! Thanx for the vote of confidence, SS.

I think it is an easy trap to get into - w/ the "doom and gloom" pundits all around us. And of course, any time we (or friends/family) are out of work, that brings it all very close and we feel the anxiety on a much more personal level.

Here in CLT, w/ so many having been laid off, I think most of us are kind of shell shocked. However, I am hearing of people finding jobs, especially my friends who have been out of work for six months or longer. So I do think things are going to start picking up w/ employment.

Now, certain industries have been hit harder than others in our region. It has become evident to me that for many of those out of work, they are going to have to look for work elsewhere - most likely in other states. I know how that feels, too - having gone through it.

However, it IS a job, even if one has to move or make short term living arrangement changes.

Sometimes, we do have to take steps backwards and redirect - b/f we can move forward.

Heaven knows, my DH and I have had to do this several times. I am glad to report, even w/ work situations such as being apart 1000 miles for over a year . . . and then at other times, being apart for weeks at time . . . we survived it all and in the end, those were small blips on the radar screen of life, Hee Hee. It feels so overwhelming when you are in the middle of these difficult work situations (long distance relationships, low paying jobs, etc). But when you look back, the only thing you remember is: We got through it intact and then life moved on. There are gonna be losses, but the main thing is how we process that internally. Easier said than done . . . but it can be done.

We are all gonna make it. Good times eventually do come!!!
One thing I could always count on is your cautious optimism, looking at the bright side with both feet on the ground, never sugar-coating anything, yet inspiring as always, my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM

18 posts, read 41,045 times
My company just merged with a smaller company and it's keeping most of the people so thats sorta positive, plus I get to move out of little rock and back to CLT. So that's fun too!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 PM

20,278 posts, read 25,256,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Point taken, I would understand if I was up your way or near Buffalo/Rochester....you get treated like the red headed stepchild alot.....

Sorry. I won't paint the entire NE w/a broad brush next time.....
LOL, much as South Jersey is the red-headed stepchild of NJ.

I always find it amusing when Philly or South Jersey make the news & are identified as part of the Northeast. That area clearly identifies itself as MidAtlantic.

Actually, Jack, I think you're pretty much correct on North Jersey & the NY metro area driving real estate prices in your end of the Charlotte metro area.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 3,259,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Notice the stock market rise after he said what he said?

Not to mention he wasn't the first, nor the only one, to predict a the start of a rebound sometime this year. It just so happened that his voice was probably the most powerful of the bunch.
If he is so smart in all of this, why didn't he sound the alarm a year ago that things were going to get this bad...the only people who were sounding the alarm were written off as whackos like Peter Schiff (Youtube Peter Schiff was right, if you don't know who he is). I view the market rise last week as a short term bump in a long term bear market.
I work in the trucking and logistics industry, and our industry usually sees turnarounds quicker than most other industries, and we've seen just the opposite as the freight market gets even tigher than a couple of months ago. Also, it was reported that the banks like Citi, and B of A saw profits over the first 2 months of the year, but take into acct how much money was poured into them by the gov't, plus, look at how much AIG poured into them...so of course, they'll show a profit now too, but they still have the same toxic assets...foreclosures continue to rise and a lot of Option Arms about to reset which could bring on a new wave of foreclosures...also, watch out for default on the huge credit card debt we the people have....also, several hundred thousand jobs a month continue to be lost (it's funny, Obama said at that Caterpillar plant that the stimulus bill would save their jobs, but then the CEO came out afterward and said that it wouldn't). I think this economy is going to contine to be in a recession for at least another full year or more b4 we see any turnaround. And once it does, our national debt will be double what it was just a few short years ago, which means that we'll probably all have to pay more in taxes.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 PM

Also, both NC and SC currently have higher unemployment rates than the rest of the nation...SC's is 11%, yet our governor wants to grandstand about accepting one of the few parts of the stimulus package I agreed w/ and that is using money to extend unemployment benefits in this very tough time (it doesn't have to be permanent). Even Ohio's unemployment rate isn't as high as NC's 10.4% or whatever it is...plus, I don't think we've seen all the job losses yet from Wellschovia, as that meerger just recently fully completed...also, B of A announced a couple months ago that 35,000 jobs would be shed, which I can't believe all of that has happened yet, as it was supposedly over a full year...things are going to be very tough in this area, and nationally for quite a while I'm afraid...and if we keep wasting money ($750 Billion Tarp, $20 Billion on non viable automakers, $135 Billion on unethical dumb companies like AIG who shouldn't have been allowed to get so big, where was the Anti-Trust lawsuits for that, $787 Billion Porkulus nonstimulus plan, $410 Billion budget extenstion full of earmarks (which Obama said he would do away with), and now an unbelievably high $3.6 Trillion budget (when the same person complained about exploding budgets under Bush, now he outdoes him by a Trillion dollars), our currency is going to become worthless, and possibly lose it's distinction as the world's currency...I think this economy has just too many systemic problems....when we count paper traded and bundled multiple times as real economic growth like we did, while we let manufacturing continue to go offshore, our economy became doomed...this country needs to get back to producing things.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 AM

7,041 posts, read 12,708,072 times
Well, Ani, last week, I was feeling it, too...but, this week...not sure. This is a cautionary tale, right now.

I agree that I am constantly amazed that people want to move somewhere that the unemployment rates are over 10% without a job. Our services are already overburdened; I wish that they would stay where they are unless they are retired or don't need a job. Then, by all means, welcome!!

It is good that temp services are hiring; that is the beginning signs of recovery. Just have to see it continue to become more optimistic, I think. I am more prone to think that things are beginning to stabilize rather than actually recover yet...does that make sense?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 AM

35,886 posts, read 64,570,962 times
Stabilizing the economy is key. Only then, can there be a big overall recovery.

However, I believe the "change" has to start at the grassroots level, w/ banks that CAN lend money b/c they were not part of the big banking system that has screwed us all. There are small regional banks and credit unions wh/ can still loan money and have continued to loan money. Those stable banks can still infuse money at the local level to private businesses.

As for the stimulus plan, I personally don't blame SC a bit for not taking the money! It is just creating more debt for the whole nation - wh/ means - YOU and ME and our KIDS. I do not personally see O's stimulus plan as THE ANSWER. Putting on the Roosevelt Hat was not the answer in 2009. This ain't 1939. We have a global economy, for one thing, unlike we did 70 years ago. And the other thing is lag time to get these projects up and running. Plus, have any of you ever seen a federal government project - of ANY kind - that was efficient? HELL NO!!!! Name me one!!! Just one!!!! Nothing is more bloated - in any country - than bureaucratic offices. And bureaucrats designed this bailout and stimulus plan.

But back to main topic . . . what will save this nation is not the stimulus money being thrown around like confetti. It will be the ingenuity and tenacity of the average American, who refuses to be subjected to anyone's dictates and who will find a way to rise above the economic restraints. Whether it is employee ownership or private $$$ infusing private businesses . . . or grassroots movements to provide services at a reduced price . . . Americans will figure out how to help other Americans and get this economy moving again.

Each of us, individually, must be creative and figure out how to generate income - or barter for services - whatever it takes. This country was founded by people who raised each other's barns! No labor charges involved! We will figure this out again - how to make this country work without being so reliant on the banking system and the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

THe minute you get the feds involved, you are a slave to federal regs. Remember this! We all live in a county and a state. Our first responsibilities are to our families, then our communities, then the county and state. Figure out how to make things work in your own home, on your own street, in your own town, county and state! We have to quit thinking about federal $$$ and handouts!!! We need to take this country back . . . one square mile at a time!

Americans are the most generous people on the planet. That is not my opinion - the facts are, Americans give more, per capita, than any other nation on earth. That spirit of "I can help" is what we need to put to work where we live. We can do it! See a need? Figure out how to meet that need!
This will put people back to work.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 AM

6,947 posts, read 9,188,372 times
Default Further to Ani's last post

I'll make this quick as I need to leave in 15 minutes.

1) Don't look for quick get rich schemes. The only way to make and KEEP money is to work at it. Be passionate about your work. Even if you are in a temp. position now, be creative as to how you can enjoy it more, advance and use this experience to network.

2) Pick a subject and learn, learn and more learning. How do you convert the subject to more pleasure, a new business, or enchancing what you do now?

3) If you have a political belief that makes sense to you don't be led by the "Pied Pipers" of the world. Be leery about getting on "today's bandwagon". Do your own thinking.

That's all folks, need to go and make a living.
John

Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 AM

12,305 posts, read 9,811,668 times
I still think the government should have written checks to the tax payers of this country. If they had even given us half of that $750 Billion+, we would have been able to purchase things. Put money back into the economy.

I would have paid off a little of my credit card debt, but the majority of it I would have spent in stores LOCALLY. I also would have gone on an unplanned trip.

I definitely would have gone to a NASCAR race this year - probably more than one. That's well over a grand right there! And there's no races in my backyard so I would have to travel, pay for hotels, gas, food, etc. That would have spread the funds.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I still think the government should have written checks to the tax payers of this country. If they had even given us half of that $750 Billion+, we would have been able to purchase things. Put money back into the economy.

I would have paid off a little of my credit card debt, but the majority of it I would have spent in stores LOCALLY. I also would have gone on an unplanned trip.

I definitely would have gone to a NASCAR race this year - probably more than one. That's well over a grand right there! And there's no races in my backyard so I would have to travel, pay for hotels, gas, food, etc. That would have spread the funds.
They wrote everyone checks last summer, but the spending that follows was spent on products made in China, or Thailand, or India, and like you said, some people paid off CCs which is good...the samething probably would have been done...I know if I had been given even a $20K check, I wouldn't spend it, I'd pay off few more bills, and save the rest.
Ani, I agree, the stimulus package overall is not the answer, but there were a few decent things in there...and expanding unemployment benefits in this type of economy when if you are out of work, it's extremely hard to find work, would be a big help to millions. That is actually, the only part of the money that Governor Sanford here is grandstanding against accepting. I think a true stimulus plan would have been mainly, spent on infrastructure, which the American Civil Engineer Society has estimated, it would take $2.6 Trillion dollars just to bring our current roads, highways, bridges, airports, and port facilities up to standard...another Trillion or so dollars to fix our municipal water and sewage systems and bring them up to date, and another Trillion dollars or so, to bring the nations Electric Power Grid up to date (we lose over 50% of produced electricity during it's transmission)...so, the only spending on a true "Stimulus Bill" should have been on these things only...I was quite dumbfounded, that NC won't even get enough money to fix one of the worst sections of highway I've ever been on, the I-85 Bridge over the Yadkin River. That bridge is totally unsafe, and is only 2 narrow lanes wide each way...and I-85 is the major link from the Northeast Megalopolis (Boston to Richmond) and the major sunbelt cities (Raleigh to Montgomery and B-ham). Anyways, that type of spending would put many people back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte