U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 53,891 times

Advertisements

I just discovered this site and think it is wonderful. I hope you can help me answer some questions or just offer some advice.We move to Charlotte this summer and I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

For starters,my husband's office will be in the south-east section of the city and he is willing to commute 30-45 minutes. We need help finding suitable neighborhoods (our price range is $400,000-600,00). We are looking for names of specific sub-divisions that would be a good/safe environment for young teenagers e.g. community center, swim teams, lots of same aged kids,etc.

In regards to choosing middle/high school...I have been looking on greatschools.net and see there are several good choices in the southern section of Charlotte. Any thoughts on these? Some of the data is not available because the schools are so new. Has anybody heard pros/cons on these?

Last but not least...any recommendations for temporary housing in the SE section of Charlotte?

Thanks for taking the time to help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 02:43 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotters93 View Post
I just discovered this site and think it is wonderful. I hope you can help me answer some questions or just offer some advice.We move to Charlotte this summer and I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

For starters,my husband's office will be in the south-east section of the city and he is willing to commute 30-45 minutes. We need help finding suitable neighborhoods (our price range is $400,000-600,00). We are looking for names of specific sub-divisions that would be a good/safe environment for young teenagers e.g. community center, swim teams, lots of same aged kids,etc.

In regards to choosing middle/high school...I have been looking on greatschools.net and see there are several good choices in the southern section of Charlotte. Any thoughts on these? Some of the data is not available because the schools are so new. Has anybody heard pros/cons on these?

Last but not least...any recommendations for temporary housing in the SE section of Charlotte?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

In your price range you will have many options The high schools serving south Charlotte are all good, in particular Providence High School, Myers Park and Ardrey Kell.

Here are just a few neighborhoods you might consider, (and there are many), Ballantyne (here's one I like) MLS #650658
Piper Glen (check out this one) MLS #649796
Hunters Oak (like this one too!) MSL #656004
Shannamara (in Mint Hill, a nice town) ##664964
Park Crossing (beautiful neighborhood, great pool) #628649

Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM

348 posts, read 317,008 times
Providence Country Club

Old 03-27-2007, 03:06 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,737,320 times
Ballantyne Country Club as well....The Chimmneys of Marvin....this is in Union County...The Reserve..Excellent Schools, the elem was written in the paper Sandy Ridge..I believe u said middle and hs so u have the NEW MARVIN RIDGE MIDDLE AND HS on the same campus.

Meck County-where Loves listed the schools....Providence Plantation, Canterbury...are also very nice sub-subdivisions, Stone Creek Ranch-Centex Builders....

Good Luck

Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM

111 posts, read 492,851 times
as stated before you really have a lot of choices for good homes with good schools and cumminity features. all of the schools should have test scores,etc posted with the exception of ardrey kell because it opened last year. Providence has has the highest test scores for CMS the past 2 years. The CMS website gives a lot of facts about each individual school and tells you how to contact the school if you wish. Union county has an awesome school system as well. Weddington and Marvin schools have had great ratings since they opened. Check out Blackstone and Weddington Chase in union county and Providence Plantation, Cady Lake, Berkeley as well as the others mentioned above, all good choices. Welcome and I hope the helps, you are going to love Charlotte!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,542,033 times
I would recommend Providence Plantation, Hembstead, Providence Pointe, Bridgehampton, Somerset, Hunter Oaks, The Reserve, Weddington Chase and Marvin Creek. All ot these communities are in your price range, and have amenities. Best of Luck to you and let me know if I can help

Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 PM

82 posts, read 296,330 times
In your price range, you could look "in-town" in some really great established neighborhoods in the Myers Park school district, which is the best in town.

SouthPark (in my humble opinion) is the place to be -- best schools and lots of amenities.

There are a few neighborhoods -- here are a couple examples: MLS # 659952, 655269
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or