Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,851,491 times

Advertisements

[quote=ChicagoJoe82;8293787]Really? Nothing against them - because I'm open-minded and occassionally have a taste for something like that - but I always thought Showmars was a greasy Waffle House-type joint... Had no clue it was Greek-owned (as you said, many family restaurants are).

Showmars is as Greek as any second or third generation Greek restaurant can be. It has turned into a pretty descent place, but the first generation Greeks that owned so many restaurants in Charlotte in the 50s-70s have now retired or died. Greek Isles in Southend has descent Greek food and tradition even if you lovely waitress is from Bolivia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM

656 posts, read 2,309,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Greek Isles in Southend has descent Greek food and tradition even if you lovely waitress is from Bolivia.
And they are lovely, aren't they? I had a hard time concentrating on my book the last time I dined there!

OK, OK, I know. Off-topic. But hey, had to be said.

Alrighty, Chicagoans in Charlotte: good people. They're fun to have at sporting events, and they can get very animated during such.

Question: Is Mike Ditka driving the bus?

Old 04-11-2009, 03:22 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,962,568 times
Well, now that there are a few Chicagoans in Charlotte, it will make baseball season so much better. We can, at least, say things that each other will understand I will even go so far as to say "congrats" to a Sox fan...OK, only here, not in the city, I don't want to die prematurely... and I would hope that they would return the favour.

I compare this to when my Grandmother was living at Kedzie/Diversey. Her neighbourhood was all Scandinavians...first generation immigrants...and her best friend was from Sweden. (she was from Norway). At home, that would never have happened...but, there in Chicago, the Scandinavians stuck together because they understood one another. That is the way we Chicagoans need to stick together here... Sox and Cubs fans alike!! (just don't tell our relatives/friends that are actually IN Chicago or life as we know it will be over!!)

Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 10,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, now that there are a few Chicagoans in Charlotte, it will make baseball season so much better. We can, at least, say things that each other will understand I will even go so far as to say "congrats" to a Sox fan...OK, only here, not in the city, I don't want to die prematurely... and I would hope that they would return the favour.

I compare this to when my Grandmother was living at Kedzie/Diversey. Her neighbourhood was all Scandinavians...first generation immigrants...and her best friend was from Sweden. (she was from Norway). At home, that would never have happened...but, there in Chicago, the Scandinavians stuck together because they understood one another. That is the way we Chicagoans need to stick together here... Sox and Cubs fans alike!! (just don't tell our relatives/friends that are actually IN Chicago or life as we know it will be over!!)
As I said, my friend - Sox and Cubs fans can definitely co-exist.

It's because regardless of who we cheer for Spring and Summer - come Fall (when both teams are usually eliminated) we're all Bears fans.

Amazing how much of a melting pot Chicagoland is. You name the nationality, and 10 bucks says there's a neighborhood for it in or around the Windy City.

Heading to St. Marks (one of the only Catholic churches I think there is in North Charlotte / Concord / Huntersville). Happy Easter all.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe82 View Post
As I said, my friend - Sox and Cubs fans can definitely co-exist.

It's because regardless of who we cheer for Spring and Summer - come Fall (when both teams are usually eliminated) we're all Bears fans.

Amazing how much of a melting pot Chicagoland is. You name the nationality, and 10 bucks says there's a neighborhood for it in or around the Windy City.

Heading to St. Marks (one of the only Catholic churches I think there is in North Charlotte / Concord / Huntersville). Happy Easter all.
You are so right!! That is one of the things that I miss most.

Actually, there is St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic church right in my area...closer to UNCC.

Happy Easter!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,358,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, now that there are a few Chicagoans in Charlotte, it will make baseball season so much better. We can, at least, say things that each other will understand

True...it's not like the rest of us knows what it's like to have their team's last World Series won back in 1908.

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM

That's OK, Brian. They are still the Cubs, with the best (and largest) fan base in all of the MLB...
GO CUBS GO!!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,948 times
I am still in Chicago. I am heading to NC in 2 years. I live on the Southside of Chicago and love it. Crime is everywhere, including NC. You just need to pray and be smart. I will miss Chicago, for it has the best summers with so much activities and free events. I am just sick and tired of the winters. My son is heading off to college this year and for me it's time for a change. I am a nurse, so I hope to have a smooth transition. I will miss the diversity and the ethnic eateries. Chicago is a colorful city. Politics sucks big time.

I live 3 blocks from the lake(31st street beach) and I want to live near the water in NC. Any advice?

Last edited by fournee; 04-12-2009 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: adding more

Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fournee View Post
I am still in Chicago. I am heading to NC in 2 years. I live on the Southside of Chicago and love it. Crime is everywhere, including NC. You just need to pray and be smart. I will miss Chicago, for it has the best summers with so much activities and free events. I am just sick and tired of the winters. My son is heading off to college this year and for me it's time for a change. I am a nurse, so I hope to have a smooth transition. I will miss the diversity and the ethnic eateries. Chicago is a colorful city. Politics sucks big time.

I live 3 blocks from the lake(31st street beach) and I want to live near the water in NC. Any advice?
Well, it's good that you wait until the job market picks up before you come. Living near the water here is NOTHING like living near the water there. There are not any real facilities here, like beaches or walkways. There is a park, Jetton Park, but, you have to drive to get to it. GOOD LUCK.

Now you probably are like me and can completely understand the snowbirds!!

Yeah, Chgo politics has been bad since prohibition times. Not getting any better anytime soon...the Mafia won't allow it.

Keep up with us...you can PM me if you want any more details.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM

50 posts, read 123,113 times
"after further review the Bears still s.........."

Go Pack Go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte