Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:01 PM

55 posts, read 175,148 times

Advertisements

like Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson etc??

Thats my salary I was offered from the company I will be working for and these are some of the areas we are looking to live as I have a young small family (30 years old with wife and 1 year old son)

Will this salary afford a comfortable lifestyle in these communities or is it average for most families? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2008 View Post
like Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson etc??

Thats my salary I was offered from the company I will be working for and these are some of the areas we are looking to live as I have a young small family (30 years old with wife and 1 year old son)

Will this salary afford a comfortable lifestyle in these communities or is it average for most families? Thanks!
uh, yes - pretty comfortable There are many nice homes in the $250,000 - 350,000 price range, especially in Huntersville - you will have plenty to choose from.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM

32 posts, read 120,407 times
Wondering where your transferring from that $115K wouldn't be comfortable. Maybe we need clarification on what your definition of "comfortable" is.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToEscapeTheMadness View Post
Wondering where your transferring from that $115K wouldn't be comfortable. Maybe we need clarification on what your definition of "comfortable" is.
They must be coming from Manhattan or LA

Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,146,324 times
It's average or low for a household income, but it shouldn't be difficult to maintain a comfortable lifestyle with that income.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,989,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It's average or low for a household income, but it shouldn't be difficult to maintain a comfortable lifestyle with that income.

It is most certainly not average or low. It is above average and will allow your wife to stay home if she chooses. Depending on how you spend you should be able to afford private school (aprox $15K annual) for your 1 child or if you choose your home wisely not need to do so. I am not familiar with schools in the areas you mentioned. It does depend on how you live though. It is not the kind of money that allows you to go all out on everything. Congrats and welcome!!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,762,459 times
That is above average for the area and depending on where you are coming from and your lifestyle you should be just fine.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,258,149 times
Congrats on the new job!

But remember, it is not how much you make, it is how much you spend.

I know some families that make 2-3x that and are in the proverbial poor house through overextension and poor choices.
On the flip-side I know families that make much less, have a great lifestyle, and do not have 'money problems'.

In other words, it is all up to you.
Good luck.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,762,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Congrats on the new job!

But remember, it is not how much you make, it is how much you spend.

I know some families that make 2-3x that and are in the proverbial poor house through overextension and poor choices.
On the flip-side I know families that make much less, have a great lifestyle, and do not have 'money problems'.

In other words, it is all up to you.
Good luck.
Good point Mullman.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,146,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
It is most certainly not average or low. It is above average and will allow your wife to stay home if she chooses. Depending on how you spend you should be able to afford private school (aprox $15K annual) for your 1 child or if you choose your home wisely not need to do so. I am not familiar with schools in the areas you mentioned. It does depend on how you live though. It is not the kind of money that allows you to go all out on everything. Congrats and welcome!!
It's an AVERAGE household income... nearly 50% of the population of Huntersville is upper middle class or higher. Davidson is certainly higher than that.

An average income in Huntersville or Davidson certainly affords more options that the average income in Derita though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte