U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2009, 06:45 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 2,723,759 times
Reputation: 594
Default AppleOne Employment Agency

Has anyone used AppleOne Employment agency (Carmel Executive Park location) for permanent placement or temp/contract work? I'm currently looking for employment as an administrative assistant (preferably in South Charlotte), and I'm looking for a good agency that represents this geographical area. (Feel free to PM me with personal experiences with AppleOne.)

Or - if you are aware of another agency that handles administrative/clerical jobs for South Charlotte, particularly the Ballantyne/Blakeney area, I would be interested. Thanks for any info you can share.

Last edited by marvinnative; 04-02-2009 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Mint Hill, NC
769 posts, read 1,352,019 times
Reputation: 447
Check with Adecco - they handle stuff all over Charlotte. In fact, I expect that's true of a lot of the agencies - I would contact as many as possible and then just let them know you are interested in positions in S. Charlotte particularly. It has been my experience that you miss out on a lot of possibilities if you only work with one agency.

As far as AppleOne - haven't dealt with them here - and it was years ago that I worked with them. They struck me as being about the average in recruiting agencies - but then average seems to be the norm!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
 
256 posts, read 665,533 times
Reputation: 95
I understand your frustration. I am looking for the same type position and I have contacted Ethel Harris, TRC, Manpower, and all of them said they would call if they had anything, but there really isn't anything to send us on. It is really getting scarey!

In fact, one just sent an automated message saying that someone would review my resume; and if I had any of the skill requirements for their clients, they would be in contact with me. They probably receive so many resumes that they don't get back to all of the people they receive resumes from?

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
826 posts, read 823,328 times
Reputation: 668
I worked with Apple a long time ago. Back in the Dot com days, Temp agencies were the place to go for getting your foot in the door at sought after companies here in silicon valley. Now its a waste of time because there is so much competition and they have become extremely picky. Apple use to get some really good jobs, but they have slipped over the years. It's great if you can get a job NOW, but remember unless that company buys our your contract ($10,000) not sure if that amount is still the same, you aren't getting that job. Most companies I have seen will let you go and hire someone off the street even if you did great there. Its a no win situation. Just remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
 
256 posts, read 665,533 times
Reputation: 95
Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to find out about job openings? The Observer has nothing b/c they are close to $1,000 to advertise 2 weekend days. Craig's List are mostly scams. Where can we look for legitimate job openings? I've tried Career Builders and Indeed.com but then you get people contacting you from Insurance companies, etc. I don't like my personal info floating out on the web?

Any suggestions would be helpful and very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Mint Hill, NC
769 posts, read 1,352,019 times
Reputation: 447
This is just a personal preference, but I received a call yesterday from Corestaff regarding a position with a company that I have been submitted to several times, and never gotten an interview. I didn't really feel like I was qualified for this position but she wanted to submit me anyway, which to me in this market is job suicide!! Corestaff requires that you complete an "Application for Employment", which I found to be incredibly invasive, when you don't even know if you're going to be selected for an interview. This includes providing your direct deposit information. I didn't make it past that point, so I don't know what else they ask, but that was only page 4 of 13.

I probably won't be looking for employment through them - there are plenty of other agencies that I've worked with that don't expect your life history until you've been selected for the position!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Mint Hill, NC
769 posts, read 1,352,019 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to find out about job openings? The Observer has nothing b/c they are close to $1,000 to advertise 2 weekend days. Craig's List are mostly scams. Where can we look for legitimate job openings? I've tried Career Builders and Indeed.com but then you get people contacting you from Insurance companies, etc. I don't like my personal info floating out on the web?

Any suggestions would be helpful and very appreciated.
Just contact as many agencies as you can. Here in Charlotte there's Addecco/Ajilon, Matrix, Genesis10, Apex, Signature Consultants, Teksystems, Ettain Group, Sherpa, that I can think of off the top of my head.

I know that you can get some pain in the a$$ stuff off Careerbuilder/Monster.com, but I have also gotten several calls - and my first job here in Charlotte - because I was posted on those sites. There are a bunch more agencies that I didn't mention above, and they search those sites regularly. Now if they'll just quit calling me about the job in Minnesota!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 2,723,759 times
Reputation: 594
It is incredibly frustrating. I went ahead and signed up with AppleOne, but you are right about filling out pages and pages of personal information. The day I was in there, there was a conference room table full of people completing the paperwork to be screened. Most had been out of work since before Christmas. Most, like me, had given up on landing a lead without help from an agency.

As best I can understand it, we will have already been screened, background checked, and ready to be hired. I guess that is worth something to an employer. Having been run through the battery of screenings - computer competencies, etc., at least I have a better understanding of my "value" to an employer. No job leads as yet, however...

Is there a local forum group somewhere where job seekers can post leads and share info? There MUST be a better way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM
 
256 posts, read 665,533 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
It is incredibly frustrating. I went ahead and signed up with AppleOne, but you are right about filling out pages and pages of personal information. The day I was in there, there was a conference room table full of people completing the paperwork to be screened. Most had been out of work since before Christmas. Most, like me, had given up on landing a lead without help from an agency.

As best I can understand it, we will have already been screened, background checked, and ready to be hired. I guess that is worth something to an employer. Having been run through the battery of screenings - computer competencies, etc., at least I have a better understanding of my "value" to an employer. No job leads as yet, however...

Is there a local forum group somewhere where job seekers can post leads and share info? There MUST be a better way!

I also went over, today actually, and signed up with Apple One. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I had the same experience with the endless paperwork with personal info and the conference table full of people signining up, but if not for anything else, the woman I spoke with, Antonia, was actually quite helpful with suggestions on how to rework my resume to make my skills more prominent and she was very positive and encouraging. Of course, I won't know until after May 1st, when I'm actually available for assignments but I came away with some hope anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 2,723,759 times
Reputation: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
I also went over, today actually, and signed up with Apple One. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I had the same experience with the endless paperwork with personal info and the conference table full of people signining up, but if not for anything else, the woman I spoke with, Antonia, was actually quite helpful with suggestions on how to rework my resume to make my skills more prominent and she was very positive and encouraging. Of course, I won't know until after May 1st, when I'm actually available for assignments but I came away with some hope anyway.
Well, heck! Wish I'd known you were signing up. I'd have given you one of those little referral slips with my name on it and at least earned a couple of bucks this week...LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top