Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times

Advertisements

Bruster's in Matthews is pretty good, although it is a chain. They sometimes have a key lime pie ice cream which is awesome. Kilwin's in Ballantyne Village is pretty good as well. I came here from PA as well, and we got our milk and ice cream at our local dairy. It's even hard to drink regular milk now. We were so spoiled! Long live Meyer Dairy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:56 PM

63 posts, read 268,090 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I live in SW Charlotte, but don't mind driving around a bit. I have heard so many things about Tony's in Gastonia that I'll have to get over there one day. What about Cook Out? Aren't they famous for like a million different flavors of milkshakes?

I actually went back to the old dairy in PA a couple years ago when I visited and it wasn't nearly as good anymore. At least it lives on in my memory. That's why I want to find something good here.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech2002 View Post
What about Cook Out? Aren't they famous for like a million different flavors of milkshakes?
That has been proclaimed to me by several people, yes. I'll try that someday, too.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM

58 posts, read 171,968 times
Carolina Creamery is fantastic and so is Bruster's...they have this killer chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream...YUM!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:44 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I know it probably doesn't help much, but this farm was featured on a recent WUNC program:

Home*-*Homeland Creamery & Dairy Farm

Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM

210 posts, read 507,539 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I know it probably doesn't help much, but this farm was featured on a recent WUNC program:

Wow, this is doable for me. I haven't had real Dairy Farm Ice Cream since last year! I'm ready. 60 miles, 1 1/2 hours? for real ice cream? yes. Thanks for this info!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 PM

63 posts, read 268,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post

Yes it does help! I've just drooled all over my keyboard and have already planned a road trip to visit it.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 PM

403 posts, read 877,870 times
Default There is.....You are just missing it.......

Repeat after me...."There's No Place Like Home"..."There's No Place Like Home"...then go down to your local Walgreens or Bilo....and try "Blue Bell" ice cream...in the dairy case. I think you will be shocked at the richness...and the many flavors. I tried one that was just out of this world...Amaretta Cherry Cordial, but unfortunately I believe it is one of their seasonal flavors. The other flavors that I have tried had large pieces of fruit in them....or whatever the main flavor happened to be. Sure, its nice to go out and try all the rest, but then.....try one of the best....at Home....Sweet....Home!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
You know, coming from Ohio, I heard so much talk of Graeter's. After I tried it (maybe it's hometown pride), Graeter's ain't got nothing on Dietsch Brothers.

I enjoy Tony's in Gastonia, Marble Slab, Cold Stone, and chocolate from Kilwin's, however still order from the big D when I can.

There is Bruster's in Matthews, which I have yet to try...
Darn! They don't ship their ice cream products! I would like to try their ice cream, if it bests Graeter's. I'll have to visit Findlay when we are next in Ohio. Yum yum.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:37 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default ice cream

Oh yes Kilwin's is good that is where we go once in awhile. I forgot someone did tell me about that palce in Elizabeth I will have to check it out.

I don't like Bruester's or any of those chains...just doesn't taste real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte