U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 AM

56 posts, read 130,760 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking summer already. Where can you go in Charlotte for good, preferably homemade ice cream? I used to go to a dairy all the time growing up in PA, and was wondering if there was someplace similar around here. Ben & Jerry's and Marble Slab are all OK, but I was hoping there was a good local place around.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 AM

2,447 posts, read 4,724,163 times
It's outside of Charlotte but Tony's Ice Cream in Gastonia is great!!

Quote:
...if you're looking for a frozen treat, we make some of of the best home-made ice cream you'll ever taste, and you'll know it's fresh because we make it right next door to the restaurant.
A small business called The Shack also sells Tony's Ice Cream in Cramerton and at Stowe Park in downtown Belmont.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,787,567 times
Default ech

I am with you heard to find them down here. Tony's is good but like you I am use to choosing from a bunch with in just a short distance. I hate Stone cold and those similiar to it. After being down here two years we just gave up on our ice cream habit which is goog I guess for my waistline

Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM

167 posts, read 370,798 times
It's a chain, but their ice cream is yummy - did you try Cold Stone Creamery at EpiCentre? You can mix your ice cream with anything you like, and possibilities are endless.

Cold Stone Creamery - The Ultimate Ice Cream Experience

Oops, just noticed - Cold Stone was already mentioned, and not in a good way.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM

615 posts, read 1,117,650 times
Default I scream You scream We All Scream for Ice Cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
I am with you heard to find them down here. Tony's is good but like you I am use to choosing from a bunch with in just a short distance. I hate Stone cold and those similiar to it. After being down here two years we just gave up on our ice cream habit which is goog I guess for my waistline
Yes, sigh ... once in awhile I'll buy some Haagen Daaz coffee ice cream, but otherwise we don't eat ice cream here. Graeter's (raspberry chip) and United Dairy Farmers (peach) in Cincinnati spoiled us. Even Tony's isn't that great. Boohoo.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,318,332 times
Elizabeth Creamery.

Better ice cream than Cold Stone, and an atmosphere that is sooooo much less annoying. I promise you the gentleman that owns/runs the place will not break into song, or try to pretend he's your best friend. He'll just serve you some excellent ice cream at a fair price.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 AM

634 posts, read 1,563,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Yes, sigh ... once in awhile I'll buy some Haagen Daaz coffee ice cream, but otherwise we don't eat ice cream here. Graeter's (raspberry chip) and United Dairy Farmers (peach) in Cincinnati spoiled us. Even Tony's isn't that great. Boohoo.
You know, coming from Ohio, I heard so much talk of Graeter's. After I tried it (maybe it's hometown pride), Graeter's ain't got nothing on Dietsch Brothers.

I enjoy Tony's in Gastonia, Marble Slab, Cold Stone, and chocolate from Kilwin's, however still order from the big D when I can.

There is Bruster's in Matthews, which I have yet to try...

Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM

769 posts, read 1,420,849 times
I don't know where you live but there's a little shop in Mint Hill that's got good ice cream and I believe they make it themselves. Can't remember the name, but it's at the corner of 51 and Lawyers in the little brick "strip mall" there.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 PM

58 posts, read 135,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
I don't know where you live but there's a little shop in Mint Hill that's got good ice cream and I believe they make it themselves. Can't remember the name, but it's at the corner of 51 and Lawyers in the little brick "strip mall" there.
It's Carolina Creamery and yes they make it there. My wife and I lived just down the road from there a few years back and frequented the place. They have excellent Ice Cream.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:37 PM

63 posts, read 174,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregory73 View Post
It's Carolina Creamery and yes they make it there. My wife and I lived just down the road from there a few years back and frequented the place. They have excellent Ice Cream.

I think the same person owns Elizabeth Creamery and Carolina Creamery. Yes, I think it's the best Ice Cream in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte