Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:50 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times

Advertisements

Just trying to get people's thoughts on the area of Tryon Street from Harris to Mallard Creek Church. Do people really consider this area rough? I've noticed when people talk about UCity, they recommend people only consider North of Harris and West of I-85, but that cuts off the heart of the neighborhood, The 'Shoppes,' the Hospital, the research campus and a few great bars.

I just get a little defensive when someone recommends people staying away from that area. I lived in Walden Court Apartments at JW Clay and Tryon from 2001-Oct. 07 and NEVER was a victim of crime or felt threatened. A few car-breakins in the complex is the only crime I remember.

I loved that I was able to walk to the boardwalk, grocery store, etc. I would like the area to stay nice because it has such potential as a real "center" for UCity, plus it's not really been plagued with the traffic problems the rest of UCity has. But I worry about it getting a bad reputation and declining.

I have noticed a lot of stores packing up and leaving the area. What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Just trying to get people's thoughts on the area of Tryon Street from Harris to Mallard Creek Church. Do people really consider this area rough?

I just get a little defensive when someone recommends people staying away from that area. .

I have noticed a lot of stores packing up and leaving the area. What's going on?

Let me tell you something about PERCENTAGES I learned when I faced brain surgery. Yep. So I said to a doctor friend of mine --the surgeon said the risk is 1%. One in a hundred. My friend said-yes BUT when that 1% is YOU it's 100%!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:59 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Let me tell you something about PERCENTAGES I learned when I faced brain surgery. Yep. So I said to a doctor friend of mine --the surgeon said the risk is 1%. One in a hundred. My friend said-yes BUT when that 1% is YOU it's 100%!
So then we all have a chance at winning the lottery?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:36 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
No, that area is not dangerous. No more so than Dilworth and Elizabeth are dangerous. In fact, there have been several "muggings" of people walking in those areas so I think Dilworth and Elizabeth are MORE dangerous. No one has been mugged in my neighborhood. ;-)

There appears to be a real bias on some of these boards and I wonder if those people even live in this area. Crime can and does happen to anyone.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 AM

677 posts, read 2,238,170 times
I lived in that area from 2002-2007. The only crime that I directly encountered was my car getting broken into (My fault for leaving stuff in it, but still.... ) and a few drunken fights in my college neighborhood which were somewhat fun to watch from the front porch.

From all the colleges I visited and visited friends in I'd say its on par with the rest of them. A lot of victims of crime in that area tend to have the mentality that it will never happen to them. Or are just not use to a big city culture and don't realize that the statistics say crime happens. I fit into this boat when my car was broken into. Or maybe they just moved into the country and are totally unfamiliar with our culture as a whole. I say this from people I know who have been victims. Not from actual facts/figures/eye witness accounts...

Anyway, I'd say its just as safe as uptown/dilworth/southend, etc... Just have to have your wits about you.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 15,433 times
There appears to be a real bias on some of these boards and I wonder if those people even live in this area. Crime can and does happen to anyone.[/quote]

I have gotten some help from some wonderful people on this board and appreciate the help that has been given to me but with that being said.
I am noticing a lot of bias going on myself. I was just speaking about this with one of my girlfriends today. I now know I am not the only one feeling this way.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,478 times
Having worked at UNCC for many years, I'd have to agree with you about the negative bias toward that part o the city.

Thee are some lovely neighborhoods around UNCC peopled by very interesting folks who want to be close to the university where they work. One can get a lot of house for the money in places like Davis Lake. Furthermore, I find University City with its diverse population much more interesting than Ballantyne.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
The University area of Charlotte is extremely dangerous. Take time and look around at your surroundings ....see how people are dressed? see how people act, watch crime happening right in front of you.

One of the countries most dangerous gangs thrive there - the Bloods!
Read and watch the news!

Because of all the thugs, shootings, theft, car jackings, drugs, etc...
The CMPD had to open a sub station where the old Century 21 office building sits. the CMPD and city officials have been keeping things very quiet about this area. They know it's dangerous and what would happen
if the truth is advertised?

The grand promenade center by kinko's is very deceiving - much crime activity and thugs use this center as a hub. Businesses can't survive
when the clients are poor, the merchandise is getting stolen, the banks are getting robbed, people are losing their cars.....good god you name it.

My advice, move and leave it to the ones that have created the atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Just trying to get people's thoughts on the area of Tryon Street from Harris to Mallard Creek Church. Do people really consider this area rough? I've noticed when people talk about UCity, they recommend people only consider North of Harris and West of I-85, but that cuts off the heart of the neighborhood, The 'Shoppes,' the Hospital, the research campus and a few great bars.

I just get a little defensive when someone recommends people staying away from that area. I lived in Walden Court Apartments at JW Clay and Tryon from 2001-Oct. 07 and NEVER was a victim of crime or felt threatened. A few car-breakins in the complex is the only crime I remember.

I loved that I was able to walk to the boardwalk, grocery store, etc. I would like the area to stay nice because it has such potential as a real "center" for UCity, plus it's not really been plagued with the traffic problems the rest of UCity has. But I worry about it getting a bad reputation and declining.

The Most Dangerous area in Charlotte - The University Area!
The facts are what they are. Its got nothing to do with
Diversity or being bias. It's dangerous because thugs
make it that way. for instance, Walmart on JW Clay was forced to closed
24/7 operations by the CMPD and local officials because
of high crime not because of anything else. The new Walmart on
Tyron will be nice looking, but high crime before its time will find its
way.....watch and see.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-27-2009 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 03:47 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
Wow. Talk about a memorable way to open you new user account with: two of the most ignorant posts I've read in a while.

Sadly, I am on the bus right now and typing a long winded reply to these fecal matter posts is not so easy. Therefore, in the interest of keeping me from getting banned for TOS violations (note the pluralization there) and you from getting overly embarrased through some good ole internet schooling, I suggest that those interested in knowing the truth about University City read other threads where this off-the-cuff uneducated claim has been dispelled already.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to reload my piece in anticipation of a bloody firefight from the bus to my car. You know those bloods...they're everywhere!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:48 PM

23 posts, read 52,667 times
Lived in University City area for years until 2006; relocated to another part of town for a specific school for my kid.

U.C. Is a beautiful, interesting, and fun place to live. Way more interesting than Ballantyne area( where I am now) .Trees are everywhere, access to good shopping, acess to the University; you just can't go wrong. As with all parts of town in a metropolitan area, you keep your wits about you when you go out, use common sense, and avoid dealings with "shady" people. remember, most crime is NOT random
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte