U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail near S. Charlotte
210 posts, read 446,169 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimh29730 View Post
I'm a YANKEE as you put it, and I am dam proud of it! Alot of people here that could give a care one way or another if they have all their teeth! Plus, look around, on streets here, you could have a mobile home, then 2 doors down, a piece of crap for a house, then a nice house, are you kidding me?? Who does the flippin zoning around here!! at least up north, those yankees know better than to let trailers/mobile homes go where ever, they don't do crap for the value of a HOUSE!!!
I don't know where you are from up north, but you cannot speak for any of New England, except for the cities and suburbs. There is NO ONE any more northern or Yankee than good ole' downeasters in Maine and other multi-generational Yankees in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Obviously, you've never been there. Mobile homes, or Trailers as many of us called them, are allowed anywhere. My great-great-grandfather's 12 room farmhouse built in 1865 in Pembroke, Maine is right across the street from 3 trailers, but then they look a lot better than some of the houses on the street. All in a town with a population of 300. Trailers are affordable and liveable, especially in an area where you cannot be homeless due to the extreme cold.

Just like here, they have a right to do what they want to do within the law. And to end, all I can think of is that wonderful Southern comment - Bless your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
 
285 posts, read 713,502 times
Reputation: 117
This thread really saddens me for so many reasons. I don't really think it matters where you are from, there are people that are judgmental from the north and from the south that posted on here.

and the people that are coming here to rent, are paying a landlord who then pays their property taxes, . It is built into the rent.

I am someone who did move here from NY, and I love it here. I also love everything about NY. I honestly would have never judged someone from out of state coming to my homestate. I don't think I even knew their was a difference from a northerner or southerner.

BTW, I am easy to find, If you are ever trying to get of a parking lot, I am probably the one that will let you go.

and I also have NY delicacies brought in to share. My last delivery was a loaf of Jewish rye and whitefish salad, from Commack NY, and it was brought as a gift to my eye doctor, who left NY 35 years ago.

but this thread has really opened my eyes, when I bought here, I was helping the economy. I love the school districts and happily contribute to all of their fundraising efforts, as well as support the museums, botanical gardens, and dine in restaurants where the owners and servers are glad to partake in a paid service transaction. So I wonder if they really wish I wasn't here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail near S. Charlotte
210 posts, read 446,169 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
This thread really saddens me for so many reasons. I don't really think it matters where you are from, there are people that are judgmental from the north and from the south that posted on here.

and the people that are coming here to rent, are paying a landlord who then pays their property taxes, . It is built into the rent.

I am someone who did move here from NY, and I love it here. I also love everything about NY. I honestly would have never judged someone from out of state coming to my homestate. I don't think I even knew their was a difference from a northerner or southerner.

BTW, I am easy to find, If you are ever trying to get of a parking lot, I am probably the one that will let you go.

and I also have NY delicacies brought in to share. My last delivery was a loaf of Jewish rye and whitefish salad, from Commack NY, and it was brought as a gift to my eye doctor, who left NY 35 years ago.

but this thread has really opened my eyes, when I bought here, I was helping the economy. I love the school districts and happily contribute to all of their fundraising efforts, as well as support the museums, botanical gardens, and dine in restaurants where the owners and servers are glad to partake in a paid service transaction. So I wonder if they really wish I wasn't here
Please don't feel that way, 5kids. That isn't really what is being said. It sounds like you are enjoying being here, supporting the schools, museums, and restaurants. You are becoming a part of the system, adding value, and helping to make what is already here better.

You are not coming in and telling everyone how wrong or bad it is, then trying to get it changed to be like the one that was left behind, which was too expensive.

I'm having fun cultivating certain Southern sayings, and I tease my friends with my very noticeable NE Yankee accent. I also have heard someone say they didn't want to have their children pick up the "hick" accent, but then this person said a word with an absolutely horrible accent from her local area. I'd much rather hear accents than the bland "Americanese" spoken on TV!

So, please don't feel that people don't want you here. They don't want supercilious strangers who disrespect them and their culture, which is native to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Geeeezzzz . . . to my fellow forum members . . . you know you are good citizens and respected members of your communities/schools/workplaces. This whole thread is tongue-in-cheek, yes . . . but moreover, it is a reminder that when people move here without JOBS, it puts a strain on the system here. And the more strained it becomes, the more complaining we hear. And eventually - taxes will be raised.

I don't know about the rest of you, but almost every time I have moved, it was b/c of a job transfer. So most of us end up living where we do b/c of work. Some people are lucky enuff to either stay where they grew up b/c they WANTED to stay there or if they had to move, they landed in an area they like.

However, what we have all seen happen here in CLT is that people have moved here w/ very little knowledge of the area (or even of the South) WITHOUT JOBS.

I can't believe that anyone has read the posts and actually believed that their moving here has caused any discomfort to ANYONE, native or newcomer, unless they moved here w/ a chip on their shoulder and have constantly complained, disparaged and condescended to those around them.

And likewise, just b/c the majority of people who move here DO blend in . . . there really are people who move here and are rude, contentious and constantly complain about how things are "not like back home." We all reminisce! We all have things we miss! That is not what I am talking about. I am talking about actively voicing disgust w/ "the locals" and life here in general, from mobile homes to schools to accents. Until you have been subjected to that (and I hope none of you ever are) you really cannot imagine how infuriating it is to be put down and sneered at. There are people who are horse's behinds who live EVERYWHERE, including people who are natives here. But sadly, it is almost always someone who moves here from NY or NJ who makes the biggest issues out of the smallest things as well as making fun of the natives.

That doesn't mean that everyone ASSUMES if you are from the NE that you are a jerk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll Kitty Lover View Post
Please don't feel that way, 5kids. That isn't really what is being said. It sounds like you are enjoying being here, supporting the schools, museums, and restaurants. You are becoming a part of the system, adding value, and helping to make what is already here better.

You are not coming in and telling everyone how wrong or bad it is, then trying to get it changed to be like the one that was left behind, which was too expensive.

I'm having fun cultivating certain Southern sayings, and I tease my friends with my very noticeable NE Yankee accent. I also have heard someone say they didn't want to have their children pick up the "hick" accent, but then this person said a word with an absolutely horrible accent from her local area. I'd much rather hear accents than the bland "Americanese" spoken on TV!

So, please don't feel that people don't want you here. They don't want supercilious strangers who disrespect them and their culture, which is native to the area.
Thank you, Ragdoll, for expressing this all in such a succinct way. And I am thrilled to know you are having fun w/ the Southern sayings and other quirky stuff that is inherent in the South! Now, that is the way it should be! And I know other Southerners will love you for it - as we don't want our quirky Southern stuff to be lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
 
285 posts, read 713,502 times
Reputation: 117
Its ok Ani,

I think its cute that my 3 yr old asks for SWATE Taaaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:38 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
Its ok Ani,

I think its cute that my 3 yr old asks for SWATE Taaaa
ROFL!!! Oh dear. There are Southern accents . . . and then there are Southern accents . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,975 posts, read 17,600,297 times
Reputation: 5009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
Its ok Ani,

I think its cute that my 3 yr old asks for SWATE Taaaa
And does he/she like that with leeeee-mun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Noth Caccalacca
5,615 posts, read 6,701,217 times
Reputation: 4927
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
Its ok Ani,

I think its cute that my 3 yr old asks for SWATE Taaaa
5kidsmama - I think you're ahead of the game until she changes that request to "Southern Comfort"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
59 posts, read 136,835 times
Reputation: 51
Default Just wait!

Man, just wait until I get up there and become one of the many people from Miami/Fort Lauderdale moving to N. Carolina -- and I'll bring all my spanish speaking buddies too.

(closest I could find for tongue in cheek -- LMAO!!!!)

But I can't get up there until I find job first and sell my house down here. Not sure which is tougher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top