U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 AM

21,991 posts, read 27,281,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I used to have to set aside a minimum 6 dollars a week for tolls. That was the absolute cheapest it would cost me, mainly Parkway driving. No less than 24 bucks a month. If I had to rely on the Turnpike more due to an accident along the Parkway or some issue...
If I worked in Philly I had to set aside bridge money, but never used toll roads. NC does want to give me a toll road to avoid, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 AM

21,991 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Well you know the only people worse than New Yorkers are those refinery buildin', turnpike toll payin', "how you doin'" sayin', Springsteen worshippin', Sopranos lovin', swamp creatures from across the river.

And you know they're comin' over in droves... Joey Baggadonuts packin' up the IROC-Z and splittin' town to lay waste across the southern states.

Good for nothin' SOB's....
Now, Brian, you know the Pineys aren't coming to the Charlotte area. They're going, with the Jersey Devil, to look for a similar habitat.

The Bagadonuts family probaby is coming to Charlotte, though.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I nominate this for Post of the Week.
I believe that qualifies as post of the quarter, LOL. Maybe - for the YEAR.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
ah gee whiz.. you guys are so welcoming. I just live the title post "you're not going to like this, but.." Real nice!

For a lot of people, it's cheaper to live in an unemployment situation here in NC than it is to stay in NY unemployed.. so it might not be that they're coming for the jobs/lack of jobs. Ever look at it like that?
FREELOADERS!!!!!!!!

Anyone who has done this has not put a penny into our system here, especially if they come here and RENT.

They essentially are sucking off the state teat. Using our infrastructure, paying no property taxes and in some cases, sending their kids to the schools wh/ the rest of us are paying for. AND COMPLAINING on top of it.

Here in the South, we refer to people who do that as TRASH. Yep. We have no problem labeling our own brethren as trash if they suck off the gubment teat.

Why would anyone think we would be welcoming to transplants who are taking out of/using a system they never put a penny into?

Ever had a party crashed by people you didn't know, but who were standing around drinking your beer and eating your appetizers? You wouldn't like it.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 AM

655 posts, read 2,100,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If I worked in Philly I had to set aside bridge money, but never used toll roads. NC does want to give me a toll road to avoid, though.
I always thought it funny that U.S. 1 didn't charge a toll IN to Jersey, rather one OUT of Jersey. Not to mention if you didn't want to pay it, you could always use 29 to 95 relatively easy.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,288,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
You forgot "WaWa sub munchin'", "Parker Brothers Inspirin'", "Miss America Startin'", and "Mr. Peanut lovin'."

I actually had Wawa typed out but didn't know how to incorporate it.

I need to go onto other states' forums and nail them now too.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 AM

2,193 posts, read 4,544,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
FREELOADERS!!!!!!!!

Anyone who has done this has not put a penny into our system here, especially if they come here and RENT.

They essentially are sucking off the state teat. Using our infrastructure, paying no property taxes and in some cases, sending their kids to the schools wh/ the rest of us are paying for. AND COMPLAINING on top of it.

Here in the South, we refer to people who do that as TRASH. Yep. We have no problem labeling our own brethren as trash if they suck off the gubment teat.

Why would anyone think we would be welcoming to transplants who are taking out of/using a system they never put a penny into?

Ever had a party crashed by people you didn't know, but who were standing around drinking your beer and eating your appetizers? You wouldn't like it.
Huh? I moved w/ some family in Houston when I got laid off from a job in NY. *NEW YORK* sent me the unemployment checks.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
FREELOADERS!!!!!!!!

HEY!!!! I rent!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM

174 posts, read 422,514 times
As a New Yorker living here for 2 years now, I still can't quite understand why anyone cares if more New Yorkers or anyone else from out of state are supposedly coming?? I like most other people moved here for the quality of living and housing affordability. I was ready to buy my first home after being married and having young kids and unfortunatley the timing for that was right on the tail end of the housing boom making a decent house in a decent neighborhood unatainable. (Unless your household income was 175k)

I have made plenty of friends here and several are "true southerners" who took the time to get to know me and find out what I was all about and not have pre-determined ideas like most of you people seem to have who post on this board on a regular basis.

If the roles were reversed and Southerners were flocking to New York over the years, I wouldn't give a crap whatsoever. Who am I to judge why a person moves somewhere to hopefully better themselves???

Because I talk differently than you, that makes me rude? snotty? arrogant? Gimmie a break. There are a lot more important things going on in the world to worry about than...."oh god, the yankees are comin"

It sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
Because I talk differently than you, that makes me rude? snotty? arrogant? Gimmie a break. There are a lot more important things going on in the world to worry about than...."oh god, the yankees are comin"

It's not a matter of you talking differently that makes you rude, snotty and arrogant. It boils down to you actually being rude, snotty and arrogant.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or