U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM

655 posts, read 2,100,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
As a New Yorker living here for 2 years now, I still can't quite understand why anyone cares if more New Yorkers or anyone else from out of state are supposedly coming??
Except Ohio folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like buckeyes... small hands...

Last edited by Art1979; 04-03-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM

21,996 posts, read 27,299,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
I always thought it funny that U.S. 1 didn't charge a toll IN to Jersey, rather one OUT of Jersey. Not to mention if you didn't want to pay it, you could always use 29 to 95 relatively easy.
Maybe that works in North Jersey, but not South Jersey (2 very different places). In South Jersey we paid into & out of the state until a few years ago when the tolls were consolidated by the Delaware River Port Authority, using the New York bridges & tunnels as an example to do it. Whoever controls that.

About the only similarity between North Jersey & South Jersey is the damned state taxes. South Jersey is more similar to NC than to North Jersey.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:18 AM

174 posts, read 422,597 times
brilliant reply John.....i would expect nothing less. Thank you for proving my point with your ignorance.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Maybe that works in North Jersey, but not South Jersey (2 very different places). In South Jersey we paid into & out of the state until a few years ago when the tolls were consolidated by the Delaware River Port Authority, using the New York bridges & tunnels as an example to do it. Whoever controls that.

About the only similarity between North Jersey & South Jersey is the damned state taxes. South Jersey is more similar to NC than to North Jersey.
Would Trenton be considered North Jersey?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,687 times
Quote:

Trenton would be considered "evil".

Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
+1

Ba-zing!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Neither. It's Central Jersey, but by the old east/west Jersey line it's west, so South by default, but Mercer County is Central Jersey.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Amen

Old 04-03-2009, 09:50 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Huh? I moved w/ some family in Houston when I got laid off from a job in NY. *NEW YORK* sent me the unemployment checks.
EXACTLY. You paid into New York so you get your checks from New York.

If you are staying here with others (friends or family) THOSE FOLKS have paid into the system. I am referring to hundreds of people who have come here, no job and are getting food from our food banks, getting assistance from Social Services, etc once their unemployment compensation has run out. We actually have people living out of their cars, sleeping in shelters. They start our renting, can't find a job and then are on the streets.

There are others who come here, can't find a job, and are sending kids to schools, and COMPLAINING about the programs, the streets, the sewer system, the water shortage, etc - yet they have paid nothing for the construction or maintenance of those systems. And further, their very PRESENCE here is causing the strain on the infrastructure.

There was a time - through second quarter of 2008- that people COULD come here and find a job. If they were on unemployment - no biggie. They would come here, get settled in, find a job. That has all changed. We have people here now who WILL NOT find a job any time soon - IF EVER. Meanwhile, our tax-paying citizens, who need that food from the food bank and need those social services, are finding it increasingly difficult to access help. It is not right.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
As a New Yorker living here for 2 years now, I still can't quite understand why anyone cares if more New Yorkers or anyone else from out of state are supposedly coming?? I like most other people moved here for the quality of living and housing affordability. I was ready to buy my first home after being married and having young kids and unfortunatley the timing for that was right on the tail end of the housing boom making a decent house in a decent neighborhood unatainable. (Unless your household income was 175k)

I have made plenty of friends here and several are "true southerners" who took the time to get to know me and find out what I was all about and not have pre-determined ideas like most of you people seem to have who post on this board on a regular basis.

If the roles were reversed and Southerners were flocking to New York over the years, I wouldn't give a crap whatsoever. Who am I to judge why a person moves somewhere to hopefully better themselves???

Because I talk differently than you, that makes me rude? snotty? arrogant? Gimmie a break. There are a lot more important things going on in the world to worry about than...."oh god, the yankees are comin"

It sounds absolutely ridiculous.
Jay. Jay Jay Jay.

Obviously, you don't get it.

No one gives a rat's patootie if you are a New Yorker as long as you are here paying taxes and being a good citizen, LOL. If you are a horse's arse, it doesn't matter where the hell you came from. If you are a good citizen, you will be welcomed.

The difference is . . . North Carolinians didn't put out a big ole sign saying - Please come down here and take advantage of our lower taxes and housing prices and then vote like you still live in New York. We would not have wanted Hillary Clinton as our Senator. And please don't come down here to take advantage of our system and then DISPARAGE IT. If you don't like it, why the hell did you come? (This is not aimed at you, Jay, this is just rhetorical). Yet, this is what we hear from a large number of transplants and this is what we get - changes in voting patterns, demands for services that will surely increase our taxes!!!

So that is why we are loathe to hear more New Yorkers may decide to land here.

If you want to fit in here - FINE!! If you want to contribute to making positive changes wh/ benefit all of us - FINE! But that is not always what we get from people we Southerners dub as "Yankees." What we get is a love hate relationship. We are told - gosh, love the weather; love the lower taxes; love the cheaper housing - but God, the schools (pick any combo): Suck; Are too crowded: Are not as good as what we had BACK HOME; have teachers who are hicks; lack in curriculum, etc. etc.

Plus, we have to endure: Why is there no good food here? I don't want my kid to talk like you hicks; the streets are poorly maintained; where's my UNION HALL??? etc etc

Those are the things that make Southerners want to close the borders. That, and having to deal with rude Yankees on streets, roads/highways.

If you don't say/do those things and you are a tax-paying citizen - no, I would like to add - a tax paying, God fearing good citizen, you will be welcomed. If you are not God fearing, then at least be "law abiding" and that will go over fine, too.

As I have said before . . . if the shoes doesn't fit, then don't put it on. The people I am referring to know who they are. And most likely, they don't even post on our forum!!! If they did, they would probably have a CLUE by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or