Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Ok pardon my dumbness as a person who's been born and raised in NY, but what services to people get in NY that they don't get here? Do I not realize the differences bc I'm not a homeowner yet or have kids?
Sheenie, the main complaint seems to be about schools. That is what I hear and what is often posted on the forum. That complaint includes things like a lack of special services, such as for autistic kids, school nurses - and then the curricula, teachers (level of experience and training) and school buildings themselves. That is not just from New Yorkers, of course!!! I think the NJ schools provide a lot more services for school-aged kids, too. I am not saying that the complaints are unwarranted but I am saying that the higher taxes in other states help provide more robust services and school facilities. I often find that people failed to check this stuff out (about the schools) b/f they moved here, just assuming education would be comparable.

The other complaint would be about crime levels and why we don't have more police here and why we have so much suburban crime, repeat offenders, etc. I agree that is a legitimate complaint. However, unless there is more $$ in the budget for that - PD's hands are tied. And the only way to get more money budgeted is to raise taxes or cut out other programs from the budget. I would be for cutting out other programs and a tax hike only as a last resort.

Those are the two main areas for complaints, off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:36 AM

285 posts, read 800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Ok pardon my dumbness as a person who's been born and raised in NY, but what services to people get in NY that they don't get here? Do I not realize the differences bc I'm not a homeowner yet or have kids?
off the top of my head, we have streetlights. and I wish there were more here, since my night driving stinks and has disabled me from freely driving at night. But on the other hands, it is costly and I generally look not to drive in the evening far from home

I think early intervention is more readily discussed and used.

The thing with lower school taxes is that there is more fundraising here, which is fine to me. I do prefer it that way. although there is a lot!!!

The school districts on LI are smaller, usually just a couple of small towns, and not county wide. This does cost more since there are several administrations. It can be viewed as a waste of funds, or it could be viewed that schools can manage themselves better and offer more unique programs. That may be why there are more private schools here

Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
off the top of my head, we have streetlights. and I wish there were more here, since my night driving stinks and has disabled me from freely driving at night. But on the other hands, it is costly and I generally look not to drive in the evening far from home

I think early intervention is more readily discussed and used.

The thing with lower school taxes is that there is more fundraising here, which is fine to me. I do prefer it that way. although there is a lot!!!

The school districts on LI are smaller, usually just a couple of small towns, and not county wide. This does cost more since there are several administrations. It can be viewed as a waste of funds, or it could be viewed that schools can manage themselves better and offer more unique programs. That may be why there are more private schools here
Ohhhh- you bring up a very essential point here. The size of the school district. Now that is a thread unto itself. I think there may be a lot of people out there who would agree w/ me that CMS needs to be broken up into several districts - at least three. From an administrative point of view, it is just too cumbersome. Education should be at the local, community level. Neighborhood schools. I think money could be more effectively channeled if the district were broken into several smaller, more manageable districts.

The streetlights are a continual aggravation in certain parts of the city and a sore point for most of us, especially around 277. Ridiculous. That has occurred b/c of state funding. A lot of the "problems" in this city stem from the state having too much control over locally raised tax revenue wh/ has to be funneled to the state and then doled out to municipalities. MECK gets the short end of the stick even tho we send the most $$ to Raleigh. Very discouraging.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
New people bring new ideas and new money. People moving here is not a bad thing. They require goods and services, which the local economy provides. And by virtue of being here , they are creating jobs because they consume these goods and services.

I'm a Yankee, and proud of it. And I'm in Charlotte, and this is not your city, or mine. It's ours.

New ideas aren't necessarily good ideas. I think we've seen that on several different levels in the past.

Also, you're not a Yankee any longer. You're in the south. You're a southerner now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte