Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM

10 posts, read 17,495 times

Advertisements

Did You Vote for Senator David Hoyle? Will You Vote for Him Again?

Senator David Hoyle was kind enough to introduce an important bill called Davie's Law, Senate Bill 199, which seeks to end the use of gas chambers in North Carolina animal shelters. This bill could finally end inhumane treatment of animals, which we fund as taxpayers.

But the bill is sitting in committee with no action taken, even though there are more than 20 co-sponsors and enough support in the Senate to pass.

Please call Senator Hoyle and urge him to do the right thing. It was not enough to simply introduce the bill- he needs to try and get it passed!

Senator David Hoyle in Gaston County weekends 704-922-4969
Raleigh number 919-733-5734

Email David.Hoyle@ncleg.net or HoyleLA@ncleg.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Well, I am sure he would like to get it passed. Legislators have little, if any, way to push legislation forward. It is up to the majority leader to push the bill forward. Therein lies the problem.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
I get that euthanizing animals is a harsh reality but what alternatives are there when animal owners are irresponsible by not having their pets spayed or neutered? Not trying to spark a debate just wondering what we will do with the pet population.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:29 PM

10 posts, read 17,495 times
About 2/3 of the shelters in the state use injection, just like vet offices do. Studies show that it's cheaper, more humane, much faster, and safer for staff.

Anyway, I've been told that it's the primary sponsor's responsibility to get a hearing for the bill in the committee and push it forward. That hasn't happened. But we should certainly get in touch with the majority leader, so thanks for that.

I think that one of the biggest problems with our state having so many gas chambers, is that there are 2 gas chamber companies in N.C. and the only gas chamber trainer is also a gas chamber salesman. And he gets paid as a consultant for county animal control facilities. A new rule written by the state department of agriculture will now funnel more money to gas chamber manufacturers to inspect their own equipment. How much money can one person get from taxpayers?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
OK thanks for the information. I am in complete agreement; even if it were more expensive. We can't call ourselves an advanced society if we can't bother to treat helpless animals with a little compassion. I was not aware of the issue and will try to do my part by contacting my reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte