Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times

Advertisements

Can a mod make this a sticky?

18 months I've been looking for work. 18 friggin months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Dude, I am so sorry....

Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post

This week marks my 7th month out of work.

I have had one placement agency call in which I passed all the testing and my resume has been submitted to the company, that was about a month or so ago. And 1 job interview that I went on just for the experience as it was 1/2 of what I previously made. By the time I would have driven to work and had taxes taken out of my paycheck I would be making less than unemployment.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Just got off the phone with DH as we were discussing the forum and told him how long you had been out of work as we fully understand your frustraiton.

After looking for a job for a year (previously in the IT field) he gave up and got his CDL, driving a truck now. I can not tell you how many drivers he talks to that have lost their jobs and couldn't find work and now are driving truck. One guy, his company moved it's tire manufacturing plant from SC to Mexico, he worked there for almost 25 or 30 years! So when people/government say we should let the trucks from Mexico drive across our boarder that it won't affect American jobs? Bulls__t!

To add in a bit of humor, I told DH your status was "how can you not like ice cream"? Dh laughed and said people who are lactose intollerant.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:16 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Even though I've been looking for a job for 18 months, I do have another source of income so I have been a bit picky. I'm not expecting to make $50k/yr, but I'm not going to work for $20k/yr and have to provide my own vehicle and tools. I make more than that playing Golden Tee. Seriously.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Even though I've been looking for a job for 18 months, I do have another source of income so I have been a bit picky. I'm not expecting to make $50k/yr, but I'm not going to work for $20k/yr and have to provide my own vehicle and tools. I make more than that playing Golden Tee. Seriously.
Me too, I've been picky about where I send my resume's too. Hopefully something good will come along soon.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:59 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
This article seriously needs to be stickied...too many unemployed keep moving to the area, making it harder for all the locals to get a job.

Please, please, don't even think about moving here w/out a job lined up, or unless you are super wealthy and don't need a job....please do move here if you are a business owner and will be starting a business here that hires people.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 AM

61 posts, read 111,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
This article seriously needs to be stickied...too many unemployed keep moving to the area, making it harder for all the locals to get a job.

Please, please, don't even think about moving here w/out a job lined up, or unless you are super wealthy and don't need a job....please do move here if you are a business owner and will be starting a business here that hires people.
Agree 100%. I'm still trying to help my 18 year old son who is a full-time college student find a part-time job. I'm hoping the Summer Youth Program will be able to help him.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninginheels View Post
Agree 100%. I'm still trying to help my 18 year old son who is a full-time college student find a part-time job. I'm hoping the Summer Youth Program will be able to help him.
It is really hard to find a job if you are a young person. Heck, one of my son's friends is back from Iraq - and he can't find a job - and is willing to do anything w/in reason. A lot of parents w/ teen aged kids have told me their son/daughter have applied for stuff you would think would have openings such as retail sales (w/ low pay) and fast food restaurants - and if there are job openings, they are being told there are a stack of applicants. Are you all hearing that, too?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is really hard to find a job if you are a young person. Heck, one of my son's friends is back from Iraq - and he can't find a job - and is willing to do anything w/in reason. A lot of parents w/ teen aged kids have told me their son/daughter have applied for stuff you would think would have openings such as retail sales (w/ low pay) and fast food restaurants - and if there are job openings, they are being told there are a stack of applicants. Are you all hearing that, too?
Ani, I think its just as hard (or even harder) for an older person to get work due to age discrimination alot of times or the fear that they will command more $$.

Bottom line is there is a ton of unemployed people out there and its just hard in general to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte