U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPAshley View Post
Oh, how this place has changed. Not to be bitter, but I know a lot of people that are implants and they move here to start a new life and all they do is fuss about the traffic (and the food!!!). Well you know what, before everyone started migrating to Charlotte, we didn't have all of the traffic issues and we were polite to each other on the roads. It just makes me so mad when I hear people say how rude we are. It's not us that are rude, it's everyone else that has moved here that are rude and clogging up our roads!!
+1

I remember on lazy summer days or some Saturdays riding my bike with friends on the sidewalks to Southpark when I was 10-11 yrs old and my parents did not think anything about it. I would get a hot dog at Woolworth's or the drug store (they had snack bars). Now years later having 5 & 7 yr olds I just cannot imagine turning them loose on bikes close to such traffic!

There also used to be King Drugs (I think that was the name) at Foxcroft village on Fairview.
We would ride our bikes there and eat at the snackbar, hotdogs, burgers, grilled cheese.
This was years before Burger King or any other fast food was around.

I used to ride trailbikes (motorcycles) and shoot BB guns all through the land that is now Giverny, Morrocroft Estates, & Phillips Place. Before that I remember flying RC planes off Park Rd (this was the boonies) near Park Crossing. It seems like just yesterday Hwy 51 from Mint Hill to Pineville was a two lane winding road through farmland & pastures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM

536 posts, read 1,540,005 times
Unhappy times they are a changing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

I remember on lazy summer days or some Saturdays riding my bike with friends on the sidewalks to Southpark when I was 10-11 yrs old and my parents did not think anything about it. I would get a hot dog at Woolworth's or the drug store (they had snack bars). Now years later having 5 & 7 yr olds I just cannot imagine turning them loose on bikes close to such traffic!

There also used to be King Drugs (I think that was the name) at Foxcroft village on Fairview.
We would ride our bikes there and eat at the snackbar, hotdogs, burgers, grilled cheese.

I used to ride trailbikes (motorcycles) and shoot BB guns all through the land that is now Giverny, Morrocroft Estates, & Phillips Place. Before that I remember flying RC planes off Park Rd (this was the boonies) near Park Crossing. It seems like just yesterday Hwy 51 from Mint Hill to Pineville was a two lane winding road through farmland & pastures.
I too used to enjoy things like this back on Long Island too, and for what it is worth, this place reminds me of years gone by.

Now, if I let my kids roam, it will have to be with a GPS device strapped to their $#%.

What a shame!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,220,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1

I remember those places. My mom used to take me there to eat. Also Bennigans(sp?)!! We used to see the original Hornet players in there sometimes.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Oh, LOVES, we've done it again. I'd never seen this thread before and got so excited when someone started talking about Krispy Kreme and the Bloomery and Bootery. I was going to post something about my kid's reaction to the latter place when lo and behold I read your post.

"...there was this great old store on the corner of Independence and Pecan (which is now 8 laned and has a huge overpass over it) called "The Bloomery and Bootery". In the old-fashioned store front window were manequins in lingerae next to a big display of boots!! We seemed to always catch the red light there and my kids would howl over the display - it really was quite funny "

WE had the same experience time after time on the way home from Irwin Elementary School. Speaking of which, does anyone remember when it vied with Myers Park Traditional as THE school to attend? I remember doing Great Books there and had a Spangler daughter and a Gantt girl in my groups. On any given day one would run into more Myers Park/Eastover mothers there than one does today at CCDS and Latin put together.

And speaking of the hey day of Eastland Mall (which wasn't even built when I moved here), I'll never forget those Saturday mornings when, on the way home from soccer, our family used to stop at Napoleon's for hot French bread and country pate. When Hugo hit in 1989, four of my daughter's high school classmates stayed at our house for four or five days because we had electricity in East Charlotte sooner than they did in Eastover, and thus they could blow-dry their hair at our house. To entertain them I took them all to Iveys at Eastland Mall for make-overs.

I know I'm getting old when I do the reminiscing bit twice in one week. (This past
Sunday, I got going about the cow pastures along the drive to UNCC.)

ALL SAID, I LOVE THIS THREAD!! It thrills me in a way that now I am capable of doing this kind of
reminiscing about Charlotte. Time was, I could only do it for Minneapolis and France. I guess I'm finally becoming a real Charlottean.

Last edited by BarbJ; 12-04-2007 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Oh, LOVES, we've done it again. I'd never seen this thread before and got so excited when someone started talking about Krispy Kreme and the Bloomery and Bootery. I was going to post something about my kid's reaction to the latter place when lo and behold I read your post.

"...there was this great old store on the corner of Independence and Pecan (which is now 8 laned and has a huge overpass over it) called "The Bloomery and Bootery". In the old-fashioned store front window were manequins in lingerae next to a big display of boots!! We seemed to always catch the red light there and my kids would howl over the display - it really was quite funny "

WE had the same experience time after time on the way home from Irwin Elementary School. Speaking of which, does anyone remember when it vied with Myers Park Traditional as THE school to attend? I remember doing Great Books there and had a Spangler daughter and a Gantt girl in my groups. On any given day one would run into more Myers Park/Eastover mothers there than one does today at CCDS and Latin put together.

And speaking of the hey day of Eastland Mall (which wasn't even built when I moved here), I'll never forget those Saturday mornings when, on the way home from soccer, our family used to stop at Napoleon's for hot French bread and country pate. When Hugo hit in 1989, four of my daughter's high school classmates stayed at our house for four or five days because we had electricity in East Charlotte sooner than they did in Eastover, and thus they could blow-dry their hair at our house. To entertain them I took them all to Iveys at Eastland Mall for make-overs.

I know I'm getting old when I do the reminiscing bit twice in one week. (This past
Sunday, I got going about the cow pastures along the drive to UNCC.)

ALL SAID, I LOVE THIS THREAD!! It thrills me in a way that now I am capable of doing this kind of
reminiscing about Charlotte. Time was, I could only do it for Minneapolis and France. I guess I'm finally becoming a real Charlottean.

Once again Barb our brains are on the SAME wavelength! When I noticed someone had ressurected this old thread I was going to go back and reference my post about the Bloomery and Bootery, but you beat me to it, LOL. Remembering that shop on the corner of Pecan where all the mannequins were dressed in fancy, sometimes funny, lingirie makes me smile to this day!!! My kids really did howl over the displays Some of that uniqueness has gone out of Charlotte now and I have to say I really miss it.

Honey, if you had electricity a few days after Hugo you were extremely lucky! We were 12 days without power in Mint Hill and I had a newborn baby, yikes!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPAshley View Post
I am loving this forum!! I am born and raised in Charlotte (1977) and this is bringing back a lot of memories. Talking about Independence before they turned it into a freeway, does anyone remember the Krispy Kreme that was on Hawthorne and Independence?? I still expect it to be there when I go by, its such a shame.

Also, earlier someone was talking about Eastland mall. I grew up right around the corner from Southpark (when it was a regular mall) and my mother would drop my friend and I off with $.25 on Saturday and tell us to call her when we were done. This also happened when we went to Eastland, we would ice skate all day long and our parents would come and get us in the evening. I wouldn't go near that mall these days.

Oh, how this place has changed. Not to be bitter, but I know a lot of people that are implants and they move here to start a new life and all they do is fuss about the traffic (and the food!!!). Well you know what, before everyone started migrating to Charlotte, we didn't have all of the traffic issues and we were polite to each other on the roads. It just makes me so mad when I hear people say how rude we are. It's not us that are rude, it's everyone else that has moved here that are rude and clogging up our roads!!

Not to be bitter, but I know a lot of people that are implants

I know you meant to say "transplants", but I am getting a great laugh over the image of all transplants being big boobs!!!!! (no offense to my newcomer friends!)

Old 12-04-2007, 12:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Mullman remembers: flying RC planes off Park Rd (this was the boonies) near Park Crossing How my kids loved that! It was a perfect field.

Would I be able to identify that field today? I doubt it. I can't even place buildings in South Park as they formerly were.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM

40 posts, read 136,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
There is no doubt that many buildings such as the ones below were here before many developments. The problem that I see in many areas around Charlotte is not the houses themselves as they are the character of the area but the general up keep. Why would anyone check trash area their place like the photo below? I see cars and houses with trees through them. Buildings that falling down and with trash troughout the yard. Not only is this disgusting that people would live this way in America but it poses several problems devalues the surrounding areas and provides opportunities for pests or deviants. If the houses are unliveable the county should condemn them and remove them. If the people have car that are beyond repair or trash then they should be forced to repair or remove them. Why would anyone want to live they belong in a third world country.
Take a good look at the junk on that porch and yard. In mavy areas the health department would be all over this

Is this habitable? Yes, it was here before me but should it be fixed or removed?

The blue tarp on the roof has been there forever. Christmas tree in the front yard at the end March. No, it wasn't here before me but general up keep should be required.
Just wanted to say that it was so strange to recognize two of the pictures that you posted (the first two)!!! I know exactly where they are....so sad to these once "homes" looking so bad!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,823,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Some of the postings on another thread regarding "shanties and shacks" just made me think of this 2002 interview that my then eight-year old daughter did with the "oldest person she knew."

"Miss Sarah" lived in the house at the corner of Bonds Grove Church Rd and Providence Rd. The little "carport," as some of you have called it, was once a little store. Here are some excerpts from my daughter's interview:

Where were you born? When? How many in your family? Where did you go to school and how did you get there?

In Bonds Grove community in 1924. Mom, Dad, brother Buddy, and Sarah. Went to school in Waxhaw and Marvin. Rode the bus.

What were your chores?

Carry in wood for fireplace and cook stove, wash dishes, make up bed, sweep the floors, start the lunch. Her dad ran a store for the community. Sold feed for horses and seed for planting. Mother and grandmother canned vegetables and fruits from garden. She earned $1 a day picking cotton for area farmers. That was hard work. It hurt their backs. They had to fill a bag and empty it on a sheet. Shopped for cloth in Waxhaw. Her mom made her clothes. No store-bought dresses.

What kinds of toys did you have? What did you do for fun?

Dolls, dolls clothes, trucks, toys, tricycle. Tire swings. Hopscotch. Made their own slingshots. Baseball (made ball by wrapping string around a rock) and used a board for the bat. Ring around the roses. Fly little blue bird from my window. Boys and girls played separate most games. Used her money earned picking cotton to go to the Fair. It cost 10 cents to ride the merry-go-round. It cost 10 cents to go to the movies. She didn’t get to go to the movies until she was older. Her daddy went to Charlotte on Friday and bought fresh fish. Folks were so excited to get fish on Friday. Sometimes she got to go with him to Charlotte to see a movie on Fridays. She got hotdogs or popcorn on these trips. Very special. Santa Claus brought her a beautiful porcelain doll. Her brother got mad at her and broke its head on the fireplace.

Did you have TV? What was different from then to now?

TV, no TV when she was a little girl, not even radio.

Toys did not have motors. Hand-powered.

Some people did not have cars and had to use horses and mules and wagons to travel (but her family had a car). Rode in buggy to Waxhaw.

No airplanes when she was born. Had to travel in car.

Refrigerators! Had to keep ice in an icebox and chip it off when you wanted some.

Could not buy ice cream. Had to make it in a hand freezer.

Some people did not have electricity and had to use kerosene lamps to see each other when they ate supper. Her family had electricity.

No indoor plumbing. Had to use a chamber pot at night. Outside potty house for daytime.

I never drive past that little store house without thinking of "Miss Sarah." It's almost time for her beautiful hydrangeas to put on leaves. One day soon, the bulldozers will come. I hope not before the hydrangeas bloom.
I feel so blessed that I have been to Miss Sarah's home. Thank you for this post. She was such a fine lady.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:41 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
I remember those places. My mom used to take me there to eat. Also Bennigans(sp?)!! We used to see the original Hornet players in there sometimes.
Y, my high school sweetheart was a waitress there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or