U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,859,673 times
Reputation: 980

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The people who have moved into Manhattan HAVE TO BE WEALTHY to afford it. And as far as newcomers who have "changed" Manhattan - those are more often FOREIGNERS than SOUTHERNERS.

As far as Charlotte changing, I predict the growth is coming to a screeching halt and thank God it is. We have a strong workforce; we need more businesses. Bigger is not necessarily BETTER and our infrastructure is already stressed.

The only good thing I can see out of the Banking debacle here is that now that we are not going to be promoted as "the second largest banking center in the South," perhaps people will slow down the migration here.
NYC has transplants from everywhere. All of over the U.S., every country and SOUTHERNERS

IMO, bigger is better but I understand if others dont think so. Would it kill Charlotte to grow a little bit and get some diversity. That is one of things that make places like nyc so great. THEY HAVE DIVERSITY.

And no Charlotte is not the second largest banking city in the south
It is the second largest banking city in the whole united states behind nyc

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-14-2009 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,859,673 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I disagree. It will still be there in some form or another. As much emphasis as we put on the Northern transplants, most people migrating to metro Charlotte are still native Southerners. I'm more likely to run into someone here originally from Charleston or Winston-Salem than someone from Jersey.
which is EXACTLY what i just said

you are arguing with me when i agreed with what you said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 PM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,859,673 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
One person's 'small' is another's 'just right'.

Enjoy 10013, when are you headed out?
[your status]
thanks for the complement.

i will enjoy my zip to the fullest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,288,069 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
which is EXACTLY what i just said

you are arguing with me when i agreed with what you said
You made it sound as though Charlotte's Southern identity will totally disappear over time. I don't believe it will. At its core, it will still be Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:38 PM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,859,673 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You made it sound as though Charlotte's Southern identity will totally disappear over time. I don't believe it will. At its core, it will still be Southern.
charlottes southern identity will slowly dissapear over time

but it will ALWAYS slightly be there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
charlottes southern identity will slowly dissapear over time

but it will ALWAYS slightly be there
Well, gee, thanx for adding so much to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
NYC has transplants from everywhere. All of over the U.S., every country and SOUTHERNERS

IMO, bigger is better but I understand if others dont think so. Would it kill Charlotte to grow a little bit and get some diversity. That is one of things that make places like nyc so great. THEY HAVE DIVERSITY.

And no Charlotte is not the second largest banking city in the south
It is the second largest banking city in the whole united states behind nyc
What you are writing does not even make sense. Of course NYC has people who have moved there from all over the country; in fact, all over the world.

Please define DIVERSITY. Does diversity only mean that the caucasian population is in the minority? I thought diversity means that people from many backgrounds, cultures and ethnicities live in one area. Seeing as how Charlotte's caucasian population is about 50% . . . that means other ethnicities make up the other 50%. And that is not DIVERSE enuff for you?

AND NO - Charlotte is no longer the second largest banking city in the USA. Get your facts straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 PM
 
3,099 posts, read 4,123,528 times
Reputation: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Interesting...but NC is definitely not mid-Atlantic.

Wrong, actually NC is smack dab the geographic center of the U.S. Atlantic Coast, midway between the southern tip of Florida and the northern border of Maine/Canada. By the very definition, NC is Mid-Atlantic. Thus, many meteorologists, government agencies, and companies refer to NC as part of the Mid-Atlantic region. That being said, it is also part of the South, but so is Virginia and many refer to VA as the Mid-Atlantic also. Granted, the Mid-Atlantic moniker is much more popular in the Triangle and NE North Carolina than it is in Charlotte and southern NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 05:04 PM
 
3,099 posts, read 4,123,528 times
Reputation: 2544
A 2003 Vanderbilt study found that North Carolina had one of the highest rates of declining Southern identity. I am one who is born in NC, but definitely not a Southerner:

A decade of research distilled by Vanderbilt University suggests the number of proud Southerners is declining, with some rejecting the label of "Southerner" while the idea of what a Southerner might be is being diluted by newcomers.

In the study, males tended to have a higher denial rate (9.2 percent) than females (6.2 percent). Whites backed away marginally more (5 percent) than blacks (4 percent) but not as much as Asians and Native Americans (9 percent) or Hispanics (19 percent).

Between 1991 and 2001, those living in the South who think of themselves as Southern declined 7.4 percent, from about 78 percent to 70 percent, according to Vanderbilt sociologist Larry Griffin. The states with the strongest identity were Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky and Louisiana.


http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1032671/posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
A 2003 Vanderbilt study found that North Carolina had one of the highest rates of declining Southern identity. I am one who is born in NC, but definitely not a Southerner:

A decade of research distilled by Vanderbilt University suggests the number of proud Southerners is declining, with some rejecting the label of "Southerner" while the idea of what a Southerner might be is being diluted by newcomers.

In the study, males tended to have a higher denial rate (9.2 percent) than females (6.2 percent). Whites backed away marginally more (5 percent) than blacks (4 percent) but not as much as Asians and Native Americans (9 percent) or Hispanics (19 percent).

Between 1991 and 2001, those living in the South who think of themselves as Southern declined 7.4 percent, from about 78 percent to 70 percent, according to Vanderbilt sociologist Larry Griffin. The states with the strongest identity were Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky and Louisiana.


Southern identity grows less assertive
Thank you so much for finding that study. I really appreciate it. That is exactly what I was hoping to get - some real evidence that we are losing our identity here - and a clear statement that people don't even know what it means to be Southern anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top