U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM

35,357 posts, read 42,290,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Go check out the LI forum and you'll see TONS of people who have moved back to NY. They say that they made the mistake of just seeing smaller dollar signs down in NC, and didn't realize the culture would be so different. And oh yeah, they missed having good pizza and bagels too I'd say nearly 75% aren't happy with the move on the LI forum.
Rachel - I agree with you. Of course, C-D only reaches a percentage of people so it is a really small sample, but I am sure this is true w/ the LI folks. For some reason, every person I have met from LI does not like it here. Now, we have had others f/ LI post here who DO like it, but that has not been my personal experience. Not sure why, tho, as people from other areas of NY do like it here. Of course, LI is not really like the rest of NY - anymore than Western NC is like Eastern NC.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,303,238 times
one of my friends on this site moved from ct to nc and she hated it

she is now in back in ct

people are forced to move places for their jobs.

since charlotte is growing that means they are going to get transplants because of those jobs

Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Per this forum, I would deduce that you are in the minority.
Most transplants from the North, love it here and will never go back.
This is easily seen, as we continue to get migration from the NE and people are not leaving. They are settling in and raising their kids and in many cases, other family members are moving here.

I do not find it odd, at all. For many of us, our ancestors lived in PA, especially, b/f settling in NC. As Mullman says - most people move here and stay - unless they get transferred w/ their work.

That doesn't mean everyone loves it here, but it is sure a good indication that they are pretty happy here.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,975,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Rachel - I agree with you. Of course, C-D only reaches a percentage of people so it is a really small sample, but I am sure this is true w/ the LI folks.
Ani, come over to the general forum.
MANY people in NY know no one who has moved South - a shock, I know.
They say it must only be for cheaper land and living.

Just on my 8 mile commute this morning I counted 4 OH plates, 6 NY plates, 2 NJ plates, and 1 MI plate.
But maybe they were just passing through.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,592,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
i was forced to move to sc and i HATE this place with a passion

Explaining this would probably be the most interesting thing you could post in this thread.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 PM

458 posts, read 598,119 times
Quote:
first of all i dont live in charlotte. i have no desire to live in charlotte so i really dont even know why i am in this thread. lol

people are free to live where they like.

transplants happen to every city in every part of the u.s.

get use to it
In bold......exactly.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,975,708 times
Quote:
Then why exactly are people from OH, MI, NJ, & NY moving here in droves?
Quote:
by the way...... missouri and ohio are not the north.
FWIW, 'MI' is Michigan and NOT Missouri.
Missouri is 'MO'.
Montana is 'MT'.

I would advise you to stay in school until you can happily skip and play in 10013

Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Ani, come over to the general forum.
MANY people in NY know no one who has moved South - a shock, I know.
They say it must only be for cheaper land and living.

Just on my 8 mile commute this morning I counted 4 OH plates, 6 NY plates, 2 NJ plates, and 1 MI plate.
But maybe they were just passing through.
Well, I frankly have never understood why people are flocking here unless they fall in love with the area - and like Southerners. I mean, I know the cheaper housing, taxes, weather, etc line. I would never move somewhere just for less taxes and less snow.

But then - I cited a study several weeks back - that stated Texans stay in Texas and NC natives stay in NC. We are not likely to leave the area where our ancestors put down roots - strong family ties.

I believe the figure was 74% of the natives born in NC are still living in NC (or have returned). That was no surprise to me at all. Several on this forum can attest that natives may leave - but we usually come back - at least to retire.

But what has confused me . . . people move here knowing they are moving South, then disparage what they find. Now, I don't understand that and never will.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Explaining this would probably be the most interesting thing you could post in this thread.
i would love that. my father is from dallas (which i love by the way)

he was drafted in the vietnam war at the age of 18.

he has been all over this country and was forced to move to many places that he did not like and one of them was sc

i am sure your next statement is going to be that nothing is stopping me from moving?

if i had the money then i would not be here

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-14-2009 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
In bold......exactly.
actually, now i do know why i am in this thread

it is wondering why everyone in north carolina has a HATRED for a transplant that comes from another region of the u.s. that is not the south?

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-14-2009 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte